Preview Round 7, 2023: Brisbane Lions vs. Fremantle Dockers, Saturday 29 April 1:45pm at the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Brisbane has recalled tactical genius and all round superstar Ryan Lester into defence at the expense of omitted Darragh Joyce for its match with Fremantle, while the Dockers have got Sam Switkowski back from a calf niggle.”

TEAMS: Blue's shock return, big Swans back, sore Cat out
Ryan Lester = Tactical Genius :rolleyesv1:

Yes It Is GIF

Next weekend is in the future.
I don't agree with a lot of your takes on selection but on this I am in 100% agreement.

The club is beyond gifting games to old stalwarts for sentimental reasons so if Frog is picked, it's because they believe he's the best man for this opponent. Joyce has been just OK in my estimation. There have been some pretty awful turnovers and poor decisions from Joyce in among otherwise solid form.

Froggy has rarely let us down and from my recollection from past games, he's a reliable third tall defender and a very good decision maker. Seldom makes costly turnovers.

Nor do I fret that this means the "end" for Prior or Robertson.

Horses for courses. I'm pretty sure that individuals in a Footy Club understand that principle and if they don't, they are over and out anyway.

We have an amazingly healthy list but the odds are that we're going to have a few go down at various stages of the season. It's only Round 6!

Prior, Robertson, Lyons, Joyce, Matho....etc are all likely to get another shot later in the season

Last edited:
If this game comes down to Lester or Joyce then we’ve got some other issues going on. Having said that I thought Joyce had been solid barring a poor decision with ball in hand every now and then. Lester certainly wouldn’t have been my replacement for him either.

Actually makes me wonder about Gardiners situation, given that getting Lester out of the garage indicates that our KPD may be a little shallow in depth down back.

Frederick must be absolutely heartbroken that he's not playing this week now.

I haven't watched any Freo game in depth but I really rate him talent wise.

If he and Brayshaw don't front they've got no hope.

Froggy should have a blinder.

With so many young guys pressing for a spot I see this as a bewildering move , I'm sure they have their reasons however convoluted they might be , Froggy should go well against this line up. As they all should.

When people talk about Lester being slow, it ignores a couple of things. First, his smarts give him more time to read the play. Second, while his burst speed is not that great, his top speed is actually not too bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lester will be given a job to do, and he will put in a solid game as usual.
Surprised by his selection like a lot of others, but Lester is part our depth in that area.
This is why i was suggesting for Fullarton to play and train in defense. Just gives us another option for the remainder of the year.
The best i have said about Joyce is he has been solid. That is all that has been needed to date.
Does not surprise me they want to try something else. But Lester sure is not our future.

When i see a player dropped or injured i always look at the difference between the two.
I don't see much difference between what Joyce has produced and what Lester will give us.
Maybe Joyce has a little niggle we are not aware of.
Either way we should be able to account for Dockers at the Gabba with only one change.

When people talk about Lester being slow, it ignores a couple of things. First, his smarts give him more time to read the play. Second, while his burst speed is not that great, his top speed is actually not too bad.
… and he has a MASSIVE TANK!

I wasn't calling for rotations but I think those that were are probably thinking older and/or injury risk players like Zorko, Berry, Rich, Gunston.

I don't think Joyce is out as "managed" either, he was just dropped.
I am a little surprised Joyce has been dropped when we are facing Curnow, McKay (who Andrews has had problems with) and possibly DeKoning next week.

Lester, really. Hope it's a farewell game. I can't see any other reason for it. If Joyce doesn't have a niggle, or some fatigue which I doubt then he deserves to hold his spot.

What an incredible waste of time. If we wanted to go a bit smaller to match Freo, Prior is a much better option, in much better form, with much better potential. Even Madden or Answerth are in better form than Lester. Ffs Lester, really.

There's no Vfl game this week, Lions have a bye. So Joyce going back to work on his decision making as Nunez proposes won't happen, not that he needed to anyway. He's been going very well for an 18 gamer, a cpl of errors here n there but who hasn't made a cpl of errors. So let's bring in Lester, lets make us slower, lets disrupt the cohesion the 3 talls and the back 6/7 are developing and lets change the way Andrews has been playing. With the pressure we've been applying upfield making the opposition just kick long into our defense lets take away that advantage we'd have with Andrews being able to float and intercept.

OK that's my melt on the selection. I'm just flabbergasted.
We are facing Curnow, McKay and likely De Koning as the opposition forwards next week, maybe Gardiner is back next week.

I know I was mainly taking the piss. I get why some have questions over his inclusion. I assume having Joyce under managed would have the pretence that he’s 100% best 22 coming back next week when in reality we may find a better mix that doesn’t included him. We saw how Fort played really well with Gunston managed, and many including myself were happy with Fort getting another crack at it and something similar could happen here.

In the end Joyce managed to get the spot for five straight games over experienced AFL player Lester even when coming in as a late supplementary player. I think he would be able to make his way back in the team easily if Lester doesn’t shine.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think Lester might have missed a few weeks with a niggle at the start of the season, so I think we had to pick Joyce. I can only assume that this might be a farewell game and Gardiner is back next week to help out Payne and Andrews deal with Curnow, McKay and likely De Koning

Hate to say this but he hasn't been best 22 for a few years now, there must be something up with Gardiner to be making sure we have coverage in the 3rd tall defensive role to risk alienating the up and comers.

Hate to say this but he hasn't been best 22 for a few years now, there must be something up with Gardiner to be making sure we have coverage in the 3rd tall defensive role to risk alienating the up and comers.

What “up and comers”? The only up and comer in that role in our VFL side isn’t even on our list. Gardiner had a niggle last week and missed a game, I don’t think there’s much worth reading into it. If they really wanted to test depth they’d throw Fullarton or someone else back there, because the aging stalwart isn’t really depth worth testing, he’s a known quantity.

I’d love to see Matho given a go as the sub soon.

I feel he is perfect for that role. A quarter and a half of manic pressure and energy around the ball.
I agree. We need to add a “Shock and Awe” element to the team. Matho is perfect for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back