Round 7 The Sydney Swans vs. The Geelong Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Was just viewing this thread really to see if there was any insight to what happened yesterday as before the game I thought it would be a great matchup and show us where we really were.

I understand that KP is a very difficult ground to come and play at and it was great to see so many Swans fans at the ground....I think Richmond managed about 10. Admittedly, they didn't have much to come and watch.

There were some awful ump descisions and why they couldn't let the game flow I will never know. The Goodes mark sticks out to me. It must be easy for the players to question why they bother when the rules seem so arbitary.

Not sure what I wanted to say, but it definately not to gloat, because I am a bit annoyed you didn't play better. But look at Port, they collapsed in the 3rd quarter and went on to play some great footy.

DOn't take it too hard and your having a great season so far....I think you are coming up against the Dogs at a good time, they aren't the team that was expected of them. Hope your outs don't affect you too much.

BTW....we are not all ferals and don't lump the KP crown into one....

lol, i don't think you're all ferals. :thumbsu:

We were exposed yesterday and i realise we're not as good as i thought we were. Having said that I have noticed our terrible skills and poor disposals all year and thought that a good team would be able to exploit that. We've just played rubbish teams thus far (apart from you guys)

I think Bolts and LRT missing yesterday exposed us even more against Geelong's forward line than it would have against most others. Having Teddy playing as a 2nd tall was never going to be ideal. Ideally we would have had LRT on Pods, Grundy on Mooney, Richards on Hawkins, Bolts on Johnson or Chapman and Smith on the other. As well as the flexibility to change them around if a particular match up wasn't working.

Take the two best defenders out of any team and they'll struggle, especially at Skilled stadium against the cats. As long as LRT is back next week I think we'll look a completely different team against the dogs and still give us a very good chance of winning.

i don't know why roos persisted with richards on pods...would grundy not have been a better option?

i rate pods as more damaging than mooney & hawkins...

we had too many kids playing against geelong...and in crucial parts of the ground, barlow, jetta & rohan...the play was breaking down through the midfield...we never gave our forwards a chance...

how's bevan going?...i would have put him in ahead of barlow...his experience alone would put him ahead of barlow against a team like geelong... perhaps roos conceeded victory at the selection table and took an opportunity to play some kids in a loss rather than go for an improbable win?

i'm really impressed with how kennedy has been playing in the last few weeks...he seems to have really settled in well and is starting to really impose himself...i wasn't so convinced earlier in the year...but he's been great since...

one thing that has become apparent after this loss was how important our experienced players are...

LRT...was always gonna be a huge out (especially after losing bolton)...lets hope he stays healthy...
having pyke in for seaby is quite a defecit for us...seaby offers alot more around the ground...
mcglynn...huge out...was in great form before his injury....lets hope he's back by next week

also, we need dan hannebery & craig bird back in the team asap...with them out our depth is really exposed...

I think Bolts and LRT missing yesterday exposed us even more against Geelong's forward line than it would have against most others. Having Teddy playing as a 2nd tall was never going to be ideal. Ideally we would have had LRT on Pods, Grundy on Mooney, Richards on Hawkins, Bolts on Johnson or Chapman and Smith on the other. As well as the flexibility to change them around if a particular match up wasn't working.

Take the two best defenders out of any team and they'll struggle, especially at Skilled stadium against the cats. As long as LRT is back next week I think we'll look a completely different team against the dogs and still give us a very good chance of winning.

Absolutely agree 100%. I think we are being a bit over the top.
LRT is structually incredibly important to our side, he was a huge loss.

Geelong are the best team in the league. We met them at their home ground where they have won their last 20 - many against better sides. We go into the game with a shock loss of LRT added with Seaby, C Bolton, McGlynn, Hannebery etc

This week against the Dogs we will hopefully have two/three of the outs back.

We had an off day, against the best team in the league, on a ground where they are largely unbeatable. We will bounce back.

Need I remind everyone, last season we won 8 games. This season we have already won 5 of 7 games. The only losses have been against last years Grand Finalists.

Yes we still have many tests ahead of us. Next one is this week vs Dogs.

We might surprise...

PS> Bedford told you Smith was a goer also. Smart player - reminds me of Kirky

yes in the cool light of day, there's a whole heap more + to take us forward from this game.

Had we have had LRT, Bolts, Hanners, McGlynn, Seaby in, and the team gelled together on the day, who knows, we still probably would have gone down but maybe by only 2-3 goals rather than 10.

A better more realistic test is next week still against quality opposition, but with a more stable line up.

Seabs and Bolts being out really sucks tho!

Absolutely agree 100%. I think we are being a bit over the top.
LRT is structually incredibly important to our side, he was a huge loss.

Geelong are the best team in the league. We met them at their home ground where they have won their last 20 - many against better sides. We go into the game with a shock loss of LRT added with Seaby, C Bolton, McGlynn, Hannebery etc

This week against the Dogs we will hopefully have two/three of the outs back.

We had an off day, against the best team in the league, on a ground where they are largely unbeatable. We will bounce back.

Need I remind everyone, last season we won 8 games. This season we have already won 5 of 7 games. The only losses have been against last years Grand Finalists.

Yes we still have many tests ahead of us. Next one is this week vs Dogs.

We might surprise...

PS> Bedford told you Smith was a goer also. Smart player - reminds me of Kirky
Yes Mase, Smith might just be allright and might have more upside than McVeigh and Moore.

I think the Swans are the real deal. Everything that could have gone wrong did yesterday. Barlow and richards instead of LRT and Bolts porbably costs us 5 goal.

Appalling, fraudulent victorian umpiring meant another 5 goals - but that was expected. Hand in Braddy's back by Scarlett being ignored - that is nothing less than cheating.

Our boys are still a relatively new combination who played possibly one of the best teams ever, in form, at Kardinia, with Gablett unmatchable and on fire.

Ironically, I can see us losing a close one to The Digs because BBBazza will get 5 frees in front.

Good post Mase:thumbsu:

I think it's time to discuss positives. For me:

Kennedy... Really stepping up into the hard in and under role and looks like he'll be a fantastic player.

Pyke... Who taught this boy how to kick? Last year he handballed at every opportunity. I was in complete disbelief when yesterday I watched him turn and drill a low pass directly on to the chest of a team mate inside 50. Ruck work was superior to Mumfords as well.

Kennelly... How much did we miss his run and carry last year? Looks better this year than he did in 07/08

Grundy.... Excellent job on Mooney considering the dominance of Geelong over the rest of the ground. I would have liked to see him go to Podsiadly though when it was clear he exposed Richards.

Smith.... Kept SJ quiet which is something no one else has managed to do for us in the past few seasons. He's great defensively but is also a very, very smart player with excellent decision making and clean hands under pressure. I think this time next season he'll be playing in a much more offensive role.

Rohan.... Barely touched the ball but at least showed he's willing to have a go and I thought he gave a good account of himself in his first game.

i don't know why roos persisted with richards on pods...would grundy not have been a better option?
Sometimes Paul just doesn't like change & he likes to give players the benefit of the doubt (a small reason to look forward to next year).

I wanted to see Roosy throw caution into the wind @ 3/4 time & move Bradshaw & White to defence....shake things up a bit.......could have been interesting :D

Anyone reckon we will ever see Bradshaw play a game in Swans colours as a defender?

Anyone reckon we will ever see Bradshaw play a game in Swans colours as a defender?

If we didn't see him back their yesterday with LRT and Bolton out, a multitude of targets to cover for him in our own forward line and the ball barely being sighted inside our 50 in the second half anyway...... not a chance in hell.

LRT was out yesterday with hamstring tightness, but he's a definite in for next week :thumbsu: I think they put Barlow in purely because of his height.

God the crowd were ferals. I was sitting in the GA section so probably got the worst of it. Typical attire of the female Geelong supporter was baggy trackies, hoodie, thongs, and a Cats guernsey (too tight, muffin top etc). I took a sneaky pic. Lol.
97949542.jpg

Also my Victorian membership card didn't scan - what the? I rang the Cats and the Swans last week and they both told me I could go in anywhere and sit in the GA section or stand if I didn't get a seat. No probs at all. Lame.

We had a bit of a catfight going on near us between 2 older ladies - they were going at it verbally, the Swans supporter dropped a few f-bombs and the Cats supporter was like, 'That's really classy, swearing when there are kids around!' Then a few minutes later she called the Swans lady a bitch and gave her the finger. I was like...uh, you idiotic hypocrite!

Ahhhh. All fun and games :D

Good post Mase:thumbsu:

I think it's time to discuss positives. For me:

Kennedy... Really stepping up into the hard in and under role and looks like he'll be a fantastic player.

Pyke... Who taught this boy how to kick? Last year he handballed at every opportunity. I was in complete disbelief when yesterday I watched him turn and drill a low pass directly on to the chest of a team mate inside 50. Ruck work was superior to Mumfords as well.

Kennelly... How much did we miss his run and carry last year? Looks better this year than he did in 07/08

Grundy.... Excellent job on Mooney considering the dominance of Geelong over the rest of the ground. I would have liked to see him go to Podsiadly though when it was clear he exposed Richards.

Smith.... Kept SJ quiet which is something no one else has managed to do for us in the past few seasons. He's great defensively but is also a very, very smart player with excellent decision making and clean hands under pressure. I think this time next season he'll be playing in a much more offensive role.

Rohan.... Barely touched the ball but at least showed he's willing to have a go and I thought he gave a good account of himself in his first game.

agree re rohan, i thought his early shephard was good. He needed his team mates to get him more involved, bit hard when the side is having a shocker. Maybe could of chucked him in the middle a bit, but think roosy didnt want to throw him to the wolves too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LRT was out yesterday with hamstring tightness, but he's a definite in for next week :thumbsu: I think they put Barlow in purely because of his height.

God the crowd were ferals. I was sitting in the GA section so probably got the worst of it. Typical attire of the female Geelong supporter was baggy trackies, hoodie, thongs, and a Cats guernsey (too tight, muffin top etc). I took a sneaky pic. Lol.
97949542.jpg

Also my Victorian membership card didn't scan - what the? I rang the Cats and the Swans last week and they both told me I could go in anywhere and sit in the GA section or stand if I didn't get a seat. No probs at all. Lame.

We had a bit of a catfight going on near us between 2 older ladies - they were going at it verbally, the Swans supporter dropped a few f-bombs and the Cats supporter was like, 'That's really classy, swearing when there are kids around!' Then a few minutes later she called the Swans lady a bitch and gave her the finger. I was like...uh, you idiotic hypocrite!

Ahhhh. All fun and games :D

WT...thats me....... :eek:

Yeah, they like to charge you extra so you need to take your membership to the window and they give actual tickets to scan in. When my membership didn't scan at the first gate I tried they told me I'd have to go to the main gate which I did. When it didn't scan there I was told to go to the ticket window. Once there I had to deal with some blonde bogan in her 40's that told me that my club should have informed me of this detail. I advised her it would be a good idea to have the people actually working at the gates provided with this information so they don't need to look like ****ing morons when the memberships don't scan.

I just told the woman at the gate that I'd called both clubs and they'd said it was fine just to rock up. I mean I'd purchased a ticket for Soph with my membership, it would be pretty dumb if my own card didn't work :rolleyes: She just let me in anyway, good woman :thumbsu:

Yeah, they like to charge you extra so you need to take your membership to the window and they give actual tickets to scan in. When my membership didn't scan at the first gate I tried they told me I'd have to go to the main gate which I did. When it didn't scan there I was told to go to the ticket window. Once there I had to deal with some blonde bogan in her 40's that told me that my club should have informed me of this detail. I advised her it would be a good idea to have the people actually working at the gates provided with this information so they don't need to look like ****ing morons when the memberships don't scan.

Hence, I never go to games to Geelong EVER!! I just simply hate the City of Geelong. It's feral territory down there. lulz.

I just told the woman at the gate that I'd called both clubs and they'd said it was fine just to rock up. I mean I'd purchased a ticket for Soph with my membership, it would be pretty dumb if my own card didn't work :rolleyes: She just let me in anyway, good woman :thumbsu:

You saved yourself $3.80 and a long walk:thumbsu:

but good enough for your club to seat the opposition cheer squads, with toilets that even blow flys would avoid.
I don't really understand what point you are trying to make here.

Our cheer squad sits down that end too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 7 The Sydney Swans vs. The Geelong Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back