Preview Round 9, 2024: Hawthorn v St.Kilda - UTAS Stadium, Launceston - Saturday 11th May, 1.45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about "very ordinary".

His career averages at St Kilda are 12.65 disposals per, 1.65 goals and 5.94 marks.

This year he is at 11.00 disposals, 1.63 goals and 4.80 marks. A little down, but not that much. As I said, he wouldn't want his form to drop from where it is. Hopefully it can improve.

The one thing about Membrey which has been better this season that previous seasons is he's moving the ball on much quicker after a mark. He's been a bit of a ball stopper in the past.
Hes lost his 2 foot jump which was the only trick he had. Hes now super slow and his man can run off him whenever he likes.

Got a feeling Jones might be on the outer with RTB. With Henry and Dow available I'm not sure Jones will get a game. He needs to really work his arse off at Sandy to demand a regular best 22 spot under Lyon. Otherwise he'll see a lot of VFL footy this year and maybe be gone next year.
Can't even remember his best games for us. Any 25+ with 2 goals?

Like most of the commentary on here it's a matter of whether you post what you'd like to see happen or what you expect to happen. In most instances I do the latter. Suggesting 6 outs when you know there'll be 2 maximum is pointless to me.

Your comments about Pou make sense but I just think trying to convince the coach about it might be another.

A bit like people including Seb in their predicted outs every week for the last 3 years. He'll continue to be picked till he can no longer push his wheel chair!
And yes I think the coaches will only make one, possibly two changes this week.

I just want Pou to turn the corner as soon as he can.

Being last choice as marking target I think is part of the reason for the slump he is in..

Wilson also played as a forward marking target last game and his running power saw his team mates preferring him to the Pou as well.

If it is the one change Pou should be the out, based on form and team balance. As you imply he may well stay in, but if he does this week I personally thing it is the wrong call.

Philipou is a tough one. Its evident his body isnt ready yet to genuinely play midfield against sides to the level we want him too but his height/abilities are being wasted with the forward line options available.

If he goes back to Sandy and plays purely mid he will likely get a lot of touch but I wonder if that will be able to translate back to AFL level.

I actually think for Pou its a few things,.

1. He's getting lost in traffic when he moves into the midfield and he finds it hard to get involved. (Windy had this issue last year)
2. He's not really owning a position, as a forward he's about our 3-4th option as a mid, the same.
3. He's low on confidence not backing himself like he did when he started

VFL gives him a chance to work on points 1. and 2. in and that could lead to point 3.

Philipou is a tough one. Its evident his body isnt ready yet to genuinely play midfield against sides to the level we want him too but his height/abilities are being wasted with the forward line options available.

If he goes back to Sandy and plays purely mid he will likely get a lot of touch but I wonder if that will be able to translate back to AFL level.
I think the issue with Philipou is more confidence, timing, touch etc. (in other words, form) than an issue with him being too light. Sandy would help him I reckon, and more importantly, the team if he is replaced by someone with better output.

stand up tall with his chest out and stop hunching over

Yep, it's the optics some times, that's the pressure cooker of elite sport but suck it up...and puff the chest out every now and then.

Ross is clearly big on optics and attitude and how small actions permeates your team, you only have to back over his comments in the presser and questions about Darcy and him interjecting to send Darcy back out on the field after that big bit and connect the dots with King's on field persona.

Hawthorn play the ground at Launceston very well and we don't. Under GT's teams we used to, but it hasn't been a happy place for us for a while. Don't understand why, it's a big ground with a beautiful surface and it should suit us quite well but we sort of get lost on it.

However, I expect we'll have an even quicker team this week-end with Henry in and maybe Garcia to retain his spot, so its long past time we turned the tables on the Hawks at this ground.

I don't know about "very ordinary".

His career averages at St Kilda are 12.65 disposals per, 1.65 goals and 5.94 marks.

This year he is at 11.00 disposals, 1.63 goals and 4.80 marks. A little down, but not that much. As I said, he wouldn't want his form to drop from where it is. Hopefully it can improve.

The one thing about Membrey which has been better this season that previous seasons is he's moving the ball on much quicker after a mark. He's been a bit of a ball stopper in the past.
Yes he is moving the ball quicker in the last few games.

He's had several 30+ I think?

At least one anyway against the Hawks a few years back where he was on track for 50 touches at half time.

Back then I thought he could really become a good player for us.
It's his final year of his contract I think. Ifso, I hope they delist him or he decides to retire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

members been very ordinary

Second highest goal kicker behind Higgins and going a 1.62 goals a game which is decent. Due for a big game he doesn't usually go too long with out kicking multiple goals.

Forget all the ground advantage crap nonsense talk and who plays well on this patch of grass or that patch of grass, we are coming up against a team that has a similar list profile to us so it just has to be full-on warfare and last man standing tactics. Scicily had his shoulder smashed and continues to play, there is your victory right there for them. We need to go full ballistic and make a similar Lyon statement, which incidentally I haven't' seen enough of lately but if his comments around the Darcy Wilson collision are anything to go by then I am slightly encouraged he hasn't gone full marshmallow to appease the AFL.

Time to get back to RL basics, brutal and full frontal when playing a team around the same position on the ladder is the non negotiable.

He's had several 30+ I think?

At least one anyway against the Hawks a few years back where he was on track for 50 touches at half time.

Back then I thought he could really become a good player for us.
Didn't he get a top 3 B&F in his first season as a Saint? I've always liked Zac: he's passionate, fast to spread, offensive, point of difference in a slow midfield - or at least has been until this year. He hasn't been terrible but not as hard as previously.

Having said that, if he is out of the team because we have players who are more effective than him, then so much the better.

We need to upgrade a few of the "nearly" players on our list, as ever.

Forget all the ground advantage crap nonsense talk and who plays well on this patch of grass or that patch of grass, we are coming up against a team that has a similar list profile to us so it just has to be full-on warfare and last man standing tactics. Scicily had his shoulder smashed and continues to play, there is your victory right there for them. We need to go full ballistic and make a similar Lyon statement, which incidentally I haven't' seen enough of lately but if his comments around the Darcy Wilson collision are anything to go by then I am slightly encouraged he hasn't gone full marshmallow to appease the AFL.

Time to get back to RL basics, brutal and full frontal when playing a team around the same position on the ladder is the non negotiable.
yes, I noticed in the presser that cuddly RTB was starting to morph into prickly Ross when a reporter tried to suggest it might have been controversial having the runner tell him to stay on. I liked that.

yes, I noticed in the presser that cuddly RTB was starting to morph into prickly Ross when a reporter tried to suggest it might have been controversial having the runner tell him to stay on. I liked that.
yeah me too, think Goddard in the GF with a banged up face, screaming down to the bench to get him back out on the ground...there is no mistaking what RL wants in his warriors.

It's the only attitude that wins flags, even in this BS WOKE facade overlay on one of the most brutal contact sports in the world.

What's our recod down there against hawthorn?
We’re a good chance this time to square up the ledger to 2 wins a piece. Still remember Josh Bruce running into an open goal and hitting the post 😆

Would love to see them give Shoey a game over Bonner this week… his Launy bogan mates would really get behind him in the outer

A very very good point there TP.

In years gone by.....it was so frustrating when he did his "stop and prop"

We’re a good chance this time to square up the ledger to 2 wins a piece. Still remember Josh Bruce running into an open goal and hitting the post
And what an absolute shocker that was........and incredibly....Tim Membrey did basically the same thing the very next year at the other end of the ground.

Tis the luck of the Saints at UTAS.

I think the issue with Philipou is more confidence, timing, touch etc. (in other words, form) than an issue with him being too light. Sandy would help him I reckon, and more importantly, the team if he is replaced by someone with better output.
If he plays this week , it will be a blow to players fighting to get a spot in the side.
You can't keep on gifting games and we are already playing players in the seniors who are not in form like King hoping he finds touch.

Pou will be a player , a break in the 2s might just take the pressure off him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back