Royal Eagles Draft Wants

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope someone gets this reference!

shep_wc_a.jpg

Hence chasing Yarran at the cost of a first rounder would be detrimental. Unless Hutchings turns into a machine.

Alternative to Yarran in this years draft is Steven Edwards. Super fast with excellent kicking skills, like Yarran he runs in straight lines and can take the game on.

548299_10151727330392310_666099023_n.jpg

Not a day that suited him with a very slow track. He's a late ND/ rookie type.

Sorry EH, those picks are reserved for Melbourne discards and the body-shot.

I am happy with Sheed as an elite in/out prospect, as I think our major issue is the footskills and poise of our extractors.

Contrary to popular belief, extractors are not simply confined to handballing off the ground. Those small nuggety rovers like Kerr/Ball are the exception more than the rule.

IMO, our major issues are:
  • One-touch possession and effective (i.e. not a blind snap) disposal out of stoppages
  • Poise and vision when kicking inside F50
We don't need our inside midfielders to be faster, they just need to do what they can do very well.
If Priddis could deliver silky footpasses I50 on demand, rather than resort to popping it up to a contest, I wouldn't give a shit how slow he was. He would still be limited, but our midfield would be much better.

If Scott Selwood had sticky hands and could scoop up the ball and accelerate in one action, rather than freaking out when the ball is at his feet, our ruck dominance would start to get results.

If Sheed has the poise and class to get quality clearances that end up on the chest of our very capable marking forwards, then he doesn't need to be Stephen Hill paced.

Turnovers are destroying this side, and rivals have worked out how to turn our 50/50s into turnovers by expecting our 'clearances' to be rather predictably bombed into the half-forward line.

I am happy with Sheed as an elite in/out prospect, as I think our major issue is the footskills and poise of our extractors.

Contrary to popular belief, extractors are not simply confined to handballing off the ground. Those small nuggety rovers like Kerr/Ball are the exception more than the rule.

IMO, our major issues are:
  • One-touch possession and effective (i.e. not a blind snap) disposal out of stoppages
  • Poise and vision when kicking inside F50
We don't need our inside midfielders to be faster, they just need to do what they can do very well.
If Priddis could deliver silky footpasses I50 on demand, rather than resort to popping it up to a contest, I wouldn't give a shit how slow he was. He would still be limited, but our midfield would be much better.

If Scott Selwood had sticky hands and could scoop up the ball and accelerate in one action, rather than freaking out when the ball is at his feet, our ruck dominance would start to get results.

If Sheed has the poise and class to get quality clearances that end up on the chest of our very capable marking forwards, then he doesn't need to be Stephen Hill paced.

Turnovers are destroying this side, and rivals have worked out how to turn our 50/50s into turnovers by expecting our 'clearances' to be rather predictably bombed into the half-forward line.

I agree 100% , people seem to think pace is everything but at the end of the day we lack players with good skills and that is way more important than pace. We should be drafting players that have elite skills and then go for players to compliment them with pacey players that we can get later in the draft.

I agree 100% , people seem to think pace is everything but at the end of the day we lack players with good skills and that is way more important than pace. We should be drafting players that have elite skills and then go for players to compliment them with pacey players that we can get later in the draft.

Well we don't want slow-coaches, but Sheed doesn't appear to be slow, just not fast.

I'm on the Sheed bandwagon. Whilst we need a super midfielder, I don't think you can go wrong in taking an assured steady, possibly gun midfielder either.

If Garlett is around at our second pick, we should think about having a crack, but I'm not sure on him yet. Still loves his nights out. I reckon Acres might be the go here if he is available. We aren't really short on talls so stock up on midfielders I think.

One I'm not too sure about is Sam Garstone, he's been injured most of the year, and missed out on the carnival having played at underage level last year. Is he worth a shot late?

Don't want Dylan Loo. Unfortunate for me to say, but having known the guy, I don't know if he'll thrive well in a professional situation like AFL. He is lazy training-wise, no doubting his talent though.

One to watch as a rookie pick I reckon is Dwayn Bolton from Perth. Athletically the guy is a freak, has a great attitude and has been putting forward some good numbers for Perth.

I forgot we're in Premiership mode.

Who needs to take a punt on an 18 year old when you've got depth like Morton, Dalziell and McGinnity already tied up.

I forgot we're in Premiership mode.

Who needs to take a punt on an 18 year old when you've got depth like Morton, Dalziell and McGinnity already tied up.

We are not in premiership mode. Our 30+ veterans would be exposed in a high pressure game like the GF. We need to do some serious rebuilding but I would not be surprised if Woosha and Nisbett thought they were close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To those in the know does Sheed actually have an issue with pace as some are suggesting? Watching that U18s game vs Vic Country I thought he looked reasonably sharp. Even if he isn't quick, he is a machine - seemed to win the ball down the backline a lot then a few possessions later get on the end of a ball to go inside 50 or better yet kick a goal himself (goal sense was sensational).
With Kerr approaching retirement and Priddis getting on seems like the perfect replacement and his foot skills are a considerable improvement on both those players.

To those in the know does Sheed actually have an issue with pace as some are suggesting? Watching that U18s game vs Vic Country I thought he looked reasonably sharp. Even if he isn't quick, he is a machine - seemed to win the ball down the backline a lot then a few possessions later get on the end of a ball to go inside 50 or better yet kick a goal himself (goal sense was sensational).
With Kerr approaching retirement and Priddis getting on seems like the perfect replacement and his foot skills are a considerable improvement on both those players.

As far as I understand it (and I'm happy to be corrected as I've only seen two games with him in it) he isn't physically quick but makes up for it by reading the play really well. The person who does this in spades in the AFL is Pendlebury. Reads the players, ball, space and situation so well. Sheed emulates this which compensates for not having explosive line-breaking pace.

As far as I understand it (and I'm happy to be corrected as I've only seen two games with him in it) he isn't physically quick but makes up for it by reading the play really well. The person who does this in spades in the AFL is Pendlebury. Reads the players, ball, space and situation so well. Sheed emulates this which compensates for not having explosive line-breaking pace.
Cheers, that's a fair call - from what I've seen at Subi and in U18s, he does just seems like one of those players that always seems to create space for himself without necessarily being explosively quick. I would be more than happy if he slipped to us.

With our first two picks we MUST grab two line-breaking mids with size and pace, COME HELL OR HIGH WATER

Pick 1 - inside mid
Pick 2 - athletic outside mid

We are more likely to get a more complete inside mid with fewer limitations with our first pick. We're not going to get an inside mid who is also huge and quick with good skills.

Better off using our second pick on an athletic Embley type player who might be limited to playing outside and therefore slips down the draft order a bit.

A gun inside mid will allow Shuey to play more of a receiver role and take the heat off Gaff in that regard. Hopefully one day we might see Hill move onto a wing as well, but an early second round pick should net us a good wingman/outside mid as a lot of sides may prioritise KPPs.

I'm pretty excited for this draft and trade period...just hope we don't get a repeat of 2009

Tall, big bodied mids is the order of the day

Like 182 cm Gary Ablett Jr?

See also L. Shuey, 183cm, 88kg.

Tall isn't everything, it might give you some goalkicking utility in a clutch game (See Watson, JP Kennedy), but the size and weight that your frame can handle is much more important than raw height.

Remove this Banner Ad

Royal Eagles Draft Wants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back