Royal Eagles Draft Wants

Remove this Banner Ad

For sure. I would pick Sheed over Boyd anyday, what's the point of having another best forward in the country. We need a Ben cousins/Chris Judd/Daniel Kerr. We don't finish down the bottom very often, but when we have we have drafted well. Last time it was nic nat,
Time before it was Judd. I hope we just tank it now so we can nab a top 5 pick

And Gaff :thumbsu:

Think that first pick needs to be a midfield selection. Freeman stands out as others have said with his explosive break away pace from congestion. Still has some outside game deficiencies which can be worked into his game through hard work but the reward from selecting him is huge compared to selecting say a Darcy Gardiner to bolster the back line with our first pick

I Like the idea of getting freeman or bompetelli(spelling?) they represent crucial needs but we can absolutely not afford to **** up this draft will be pivotal to our future flag chances Nail two good starting midfielders we will be laughing. Kind of why I'm leaning towards billings/sheed

Agreed. I'm not saying rule Freeman out, only that our attentions should first and foremost be to bigger midfield players, but if they can't be found I'd be happy with Freeman. If Bontempelli is available he would probably fit the bill, but figures more as a project player compared to the "ready to go" Freeman.

I didn't intend to come across as inferring that you were ruling Freeman out due to height, for I know that isn't what you said or implied. I made comment due to an exception on what we agree on is the ideal. Also, if WC are looking at Sheed, he's only 1 inch taller at most compared to Freeman - still not the preferred height we're looking for. We both know that the height of the midfielder can't be a hard and fast rule, just an ideal. I think a big body, with the strength that potentially comes with that, is a bit more important than height. So, when a midfielder comes along who has the right package of playing attributes, minus the height but has the right weight/strength for the role, it's acceptable to me. (Doesn't apply to big-bodied short people like Hams though, for in their case, a big body still likely means a less than desirable weight for a midfielder.) Freeman is already in Shuey, Scooter and Priddis' weight range and is yet to be hardened by a professional system. That's a good base.

It's touch 'n' go as to whether Cripps will be available at WC's 2nd round pick, but if he's available, that's the opportunity for WC to get a big-bodied 187cm+ midfield grunt/workhorse to replace Kerr or Priddis.
Jansen is even bigger bodied than Cripps and could possibly be selected with a 3rd, if WC are fortunate. But WC need top end talent-wise big-bodied midfielders. The midfield shouldn't be expected to be lead by a 3rd rounder. 3rd rounders should be treated about the same as project players, in that we hope they develop and become players rather than expecting them to. Still worth a punt on Jansen though given his height, body size and type of player WC have need of.

I strongly believe WC need an IM with their first pick and I don't believe an OM in Bontempelli is what WC need to prioritize at this time. So, that rules Bontempelli out for me. I'm not as big on Bontempelli as some. Bontempelli is an under-age star of sorts, but if his form doesn't make the jump to the big league, he likely turns out to be just another Rosa - an athletic, tall OM. He's a risky choice for such an early 1st round pick, IMO.

I don't like the idea of project players taken in the first round unless they're a KPP or ruckman. Early 1st round midfielders should be of the sort that are almost, if not, ready to go from the time they're drafted.

I don't think you should base your first pick on size though, that being said I really think we should seriously consider Patrick Cripps at our 2nd pick. Good size, wins clearances and is not terrible by foot. I also really like Freeman, he might not be such a reach after the combine. With his pace I almost want to take him before Sheed tbh.

I haven't based my preference of 1st round pick on size. 187cm+ for a midfielder is just an ideal, not a hard and fast rule. My second paragraph that you quoted makes my case for Freeman being taken based on the attributes he can bring to WC's midfield.

I agree that WC should take Cripps with their 2nd round selection.

I strongly believe WC need an IM with their first pick and I don't believe an OM in Bontempelli is what WC need to prioritize at this time. So, that rules Bontempelli out for me. I'm not as big on Bontempelli as some. Bontempelli is an under-age star of sorts, but if his form doesn't make the jump to the big league, he likely turns out to be just another Rosa - an athletic, tall OM. He's a risky choice for such an early 1st round pick, IMO.

I don't like the idea of project players taken in the first round unless they're a KPP or ruckman. Early 1st round midfielders should be of the sort that are almost, if not, ready to go from the time they're drafted.

I think the idea with Bontempelli would be to transition him to inside play, something I understand he has been doing with increasing success this season. With the incredibly successful transitions of Watson, Mundy and Fyfe in mind, I don't think Bontempelli being more outside than inside would put us off drafting him for that purpose, should we rate his talent.
But point taken; I too am a bit wary of those jack of all trades types that lack an area of elite or highly advanced skill. But I think with that risk comes a lot of potential reward in the areas that we're lacking (size, speed, marking and goalkicking in midfield).
Having said that, as you rightly pointed out with Cripps there should be a few good big bodied (potential) midfield options in the second round, with Acres, Cripps, Robertson and the ever-intriguing Jonathan Marsh shaping up there from WA alone, so neglecting height in the first round would not be the end of the world.

Fyfe was never really in consideration for picks as high as 7; his stock was always in the 15-30 range.
Successful 'reaches' like Dangerfield are the exception, rather than the expectation.
The next year we got Darling while they selected Jayden Pitt instead, who has barely fired a shot, or at least has done a lot less than Sheppard. Swings and roundabouts.

Harsh on Pitt. Has a heart condition which will probably force his retirement. Not close to Darling but did have promise. Had a lethal kick on him and a good tank.

Harsh on Pitt. Has a heart condition which will probably force his retirement. Not close to Darling but did have promise. Had a lethal kick on him and a good tank.

I had big wraps on Pitt pre-draft and his condition is very unfortunate, but in any case he still hasn't done much of anything, even if that has been out of his control. Very talented, sure, but I'm talking about output that sadly he has been unable to produce.

I strongly believe WC need an IM with their first pick and I don't believe an OM in Bontempelli is what WC need to prioritize at this time. So, that rules Bontempelli out for me.

Why do we need an inside mid more? We have plenty of players who can perform that role. Especially when NicNat and Shuey gets back, I don't see winning the ball out of the middle as a problem. We need more explosive players on the outside who can get behind the opposition and hurt them on the rebound.

Why do we need an inside mid more? We have plenty of players who can perform that role. Especially when NicNat and Shuey gets back, I don't see winning the ball out of the middle as a problem. We need more explosive players on the outside who can get behind the opposition and hurt them on the rebound.

I agree as it seems we can win the ball in the middle but once we have it we seem to butcher it so we need players that can receive it and carry it forward better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like us to give up our draft picks to get Van Berlo. We've done all the young midfield drafting for better or worse and need to back them in to keep improving. What's missing is composure and smarts that never got replaced with the loss of Judd, Cousins and the almost gone Kerr. Woosh was even starting to rob Peter to pay Paul and moving Lecras into the midfield to help prior to injury. Wellingham was a good idea but Kerr will be gone soon as will Embley and we need one more replacement with a bit of experience.
Van Berlo is on the outer at Adelaide, there's talk of removing the captaincy from him and he's only 27. He's a restricted agent at the end of this season, meaning he can look at offers from other clubs. In theory that means we don't have to offer draft picks and can do it on money alone. Picks might stop Adelaide making the counter offer though.
Not sure of the actual workings for this to happen but our current B grade midfield needs another quality top up.
Get this done somehow!

I'd like us to give up our draft picks to get Van Berlo. We've done all the young midfield drafting for better or worse and need to back them in to keep improving. What's missing is composure and smarts that never got replaced with the loss of Judd, Cousins and the almost gone Kerr. Woosh was even starting to rob Peter to pay Paul and moving Lecras into the midfield to help prior to injury. Wellingham was a good idea but Kerr will be gone soon as will Embley and we need one more replacement with a bit of experience.
Van Berlo is on the outer at Adelaide, there's talk of removing the captaincy from him and he's only 27. He's a restricted agent at the end of this season, meaning he can look at offers from other clubs. In theory that means we don't have to offer draft picks and can do it on money alone. Picks might stop Adelaide making the counter offer though.
Not sure of the actual workings for this to happen but our current B grade midfield needs another quality top up.
Get this done somehow!

van Berlo plays a similar role to Scott Selwood so I don't think we need him.

van Berlo plays a similar role to Scott Selwood so I don't think we need him.
Van Belos playing a lot of different roles this year as required to help the team thats struggling in areas. Hence his form drop.
At the end of the day he is a quality mid, from WA, 27 years old and the best available to us for instant team addition next season. It's a no brainer really. I still say get it done.

Van Belos playing a lot of different roles this year as required to help the team thats struggling in areas. Hence his form drop.
At the end of the day he is a quality mid, from WA, 27 years old and the best available to us for instant team addition next season. It's a no brainer really. I still say get it done.
Good mates with Lecca too from memory. He is their captain though, would be a very unlikely get.

Get this done somehow!
we may have done all our midfield drafting lately but we don't have any young mids on the list that aren't currently in our top 22 that you would think could be definite starters in a healthy team(maybe newman but that's a big maybe).We have to hit the draft hard and maybe pick up an experienced player using late picks or some of our fringe players.What would van berlos value be?
If anything we should be looking to get more picks early in the draft not picking up players in decline.If daisy Thomas or 1 of the young west aussies out there such as bennell,swallow or omeara wanted to come home different story tho.

Get this done somehow!

I wouldn`t like to give up picks for VB but would consider a trade if one of Butler or Waters wished to return to SA ..

WC need inside players because Kerr is cooked. Priddis is limited, aging and the team isn't going to win a flag while he's the numero uno in the midfield. Shuey and Masten are both IM/OM midfielders who excel with their disposal. Given WC's lack of decent foot-skills on the outside, these two shouldn't be used as grunts where they would be dishing off to those who're less adept with their disposal. So, Masten and Shuey shouldn't be predominantly used as grunts, for while they're capable of playing that role when required, should be receiving the ball from more dedicated, less skilled - disposal-wise, IM's. Hence the need for more IM's.

If WC bypass an OM this year and focus on IM talent, an OM to potentially replace/put pressure on Rosa should be considered for WC's first round pick next year, if such a pick isn't used on Alec Waterman.

WC need inside players because Kerr is cooked. Priddis is limited, aging and the team isn't going to win a flag while he's the numero uno in the midfield. Shuey and Masten are both IM/OM midfielders who excel with their disposal. Given WC's lack of decent foot-skills on the outside, these two shouldn't be used as grunts where they would be dishing off to those who're less adept with their disposal. So, Masten and Shuey shouldn't be predominantly used as grunts, for while they're capable of playing that role when required, should be receiving the ball from more dedicated, less skilled - disposal-wise, IM's. Hence the need for more IM's.

If WC bypass an OM this year and focus on IM talent, an OM to potentially replace/put pressure on Rosa should be considered for WC's first round pick next year, if such a pick isn't used on Alec Waterman.

Marcus Bontempelli has been spending time in the centre for northern Knights as well as high half foward,
To claim he is only outside is wrong, he developing a inside game and I project at AFL level he will be played in that role.
His form since the championships has been exceptional, his pace and size would be very hard to pass on when you add his deadly left foot as well.

Marcus Bontempelli has been spending time in the centre for northern Knights as well as high half foward,
To claim he is only outside is wrong, he developing a inside game and I project at AFL level he will be played in that role.
His form since the championships has been exceptional, his pace and size would be very hard to pass on when you add his deadly left foot as well.

I'm aware that Bontempelli has been spending time in the centre for Northern Knights as well as high half forward. Yet, Bontempelli is considered a first round selection by some, not for his game as an IM or high half forward, but predominantly as an OM as he was used mostly during the champs. I recognize that he's developing other areas to his game, but these developing areas are just that. They're not the areas of his game which have him rated as highly as he is. Hence my saying it is risky to select him based on his mostly unobserved, (in comparison to his outside game), developing IM skills, if an IM is what WC are looking for.

I'll have to agree with tesseract on this one. Bontempelli has worked hard on his inside game and good on him for recognising the deficiency in his game but we shouldn't be looking at him if we are after an inside mid. Freeman, Sheed even Christian Salem (incase Freeman and Sheed are unavailable by our pick) are much more developed in that role and so is dare i say the name Matt Crouch

Remove this Banner Ad

Royal Eagles Draft Wants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back