Royal Eagles Draft Wants

Remove this Banner Ad

I would if I had any idea what I was meant to be apologising for! My post was highly valid. I said that while Kelly was indeed a very good player, he's not the type we need. In the process I got to quote an awesome bloody movie. Problem?

As Steve Martin says:
“You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.”

Weird post. on now

Are you lashing out because you didn't get the reference, or because you're unsatisfied with his opinion?

well the movie comment just smacks of a smart-arse little kid brain .

If Thorne wants to mod then mod and let the discussion continue instead of trying to just dismiss it point blank because he doesn`t see a need for a certain player or at least post his reasons why not .

thats all i`ll say and I move on now ..

well the movie comment just smacks of a smart-arse little kid brain .

If Thorne wants to mod then mod and let the discussion continue instead of trying to just dismiss it point blank because he doesn`t see a need for a certain player or at least post his reasons why not .

thats all i`ll say and I move on now ..

Disproportionately emotional response to a light hearted comment.

Pretty clear that he meant Kelly isn't the type of mid we need. No need to get upset because he didn't explain why (FWIW, it's fairly clear why).

Tonight has made me realise more that we need someone like Nathan Freeman in that midfield. And one of Cripps, Jansen or Tsitas come pick our second round pick

Kelly's a huge talent but we already have one of him in Gaff and he isn't a needs based player at the moment. I doubt he'll be available either. Bulldogs will snap him up if they can't get Tom Boyd

Cheers appreciate the feedback ..

Now what is about Bontempelli that you like I mean he averaged 14 disposals and 4 I5O`s and didn`t make U18/ AA ?

To quote MFCROX:

Knightmare, looks like your man Marcus Bontempelli was BOG again today with 5 goals from the midfield. That's 3 BOGs in the last 4 games for him. Surely he is gonna be this drafts 'bolter' if he is able to hold this sort of form... PLENTY of upside in the kid.

Cheers appreciate the feedback ..

Now what is about Bontempelli that you like I mean he averaged 14 disposals and 4 I5O`s and didn`t make U18/ AA ?

Attributes, upside. Pace, skills, height, versatility, hurt factor. Can swing forward. Almost everything our midfield lacks. Which is why I slightly prefer him to the likes of Sheed or Billings at the same pick at this point in time.

Probably the same reasons alot of experts rate him in the 5-10 range.

To quote MFCROX:

Knightmare, looks like your man Marcus Bontempelli was BOG again today with 5 goals from the midfield. That's 3 BOGs in the last 4 games for him. Surely he is gonna be this drafts 'bolter' if he is able to hold this sort of form... PLENTY of upside in the kid.

Against the best of the best U/18 champs Bontempelli could only score 2 goals in 4 games .What does this say or mean ?

Attributes, upside. Pace, skills, height, versatility, hurt factor. Can swing forward. Almost everything our midfield lacks. Which is why I slightly prefer him to the likes of Sheed or Billings at the same pick at this point in time.

Probably the same reasons alot of experts rate him in the 5-10 range.

Bontempelli only had 2 tackles in his 4 u18 games . Kelly had 17 tackles and 12 I50`S

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bontempelli only had 2 tackles in his 4 u18 games . Kelly had 17 tackles and 12 I50`S

That's great. But Bontempelli's upside and hurt factor is still greater than Kelly's. I feel this is the sort of attribute we should be looking for in players.

If we wanted the most well-rounded mids available we could just take a Sheed or Billings.

Against the best of the best U/18 champs Bontempelli could only score 2 goals in 4 games .What does this say or mean ?

I haven't seen him play so this is all second hand but he's been talked about a bit like Fyfe in the sense he is young (late birthday), skinny and a late developer.

He is also a type that everyone wants - tall midfielder. Whether or not the hype is justified remains to be seen but some on the D&T board are very bullish about him. The reason I think people on here are excited about him is that he is absolutely exactly what we need.

And clearly the champs aren't everything since Dom Sheed won the Larke medal and some mock drafts have him well out of the top 10. Cale Morton also won the Larke Medal did he not?

I haven't seen him play so this is all second hand but he's been talked about a bit like Fyfe in the sense he is young (late birthday), skinny and a late developer.

He is also a type that everyone wants - tall midfielder. Whether or not the hype is justified remains to be seen but some on the D&T board are very bullish about him. The reason I think people on here are excited about him is that he is absolutely exactly what we need.

And clearly the champs aren't everything since Dom Sheed won the Larke medal and some mock drafts have him well out of the top 10. Cale Morton also won the Larke Medal did he not?

pick 6 to 9 would be reaching I think 4 games for 5 clearances and 2 goals,2 tackles does not get me excited and it seems Fyfe had abilities at the u18 champs he kicked 9 goals with a bag of 4 goals versus VM

pick 6 to 9 would be reaching I think 4 games for 5 clearances and 2 goals,2 tackles does not get me excited and it seems Fyfe had abilities at the u18 champs he kicked 9 goals with a bag of 4 goals versus VM
fair call, but i suspect the people who claim to know about draft prospects and their potential probably go and see these kids play in person quite a bit, and don't base it all on U/18 championships stats.

It's not like we can just run a SuperCoach competition for all of the u/18 champs matches, where the rankings table at the end of the tournament would determine draft order

RE any guess as to whether Garlett may suffer the same fate in this draft as last year?
It's not as though his form this year has really surprised anyone.
The sad fact about Garlett, as far as we're concerned, is that he should already be on our list and possibly playing. Even with the advantage of having a specific indigenous mentor on our staff we weren't prepared to take a punt on arguably the best player in the draft beggars belief. This year he will be a top 5 pick and I am happy to bet that we'll grab him if he's there. However, we may well have missed the boat.

This year he will be a top 5 pick and I am happy to bet that we'll grab him if he's there. However, we may well have missed the boat.

He definitely will not be a Top 5 pick. Almost definitely not first round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Royal Eagles Draft Wants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back