Discussion Rugby League/Union Kits discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking through this thread got me thinking. The Sun Wolves already look great, but what will the kit look like? I imagine it would look fantastic, but then, what makes a rugby kit look good?

And THAT got me thinking; what is the best PROVINCIAL Rugby Union kit?

What do you guys think?

I am bias, but I think Melbourne have the best combination of jerseys in Australia

228ed73debc4a0f2c1ad4b4c323600bb

I have 2 Lions jerseys, an 09 and a 13. Bought both well after the fact, the 09 for $50 at Adidas' outlet in Silverwater, and the 13 from Rebel Sport in the city for $30 that October.
earlier this year I ordered a cheap, $20 Lions jersey from fan gear, but it was a S. A few weeks after I was looking in a random op shop and found a M that fit me better for $10. I like to think I paid $30 for one of my all time favourite shirts

For sentimental reasons, my favourite is the Force's original away kit, which was in WA colours with the black swan RugbyWA logo across the back. It was quite literally a Western Force update on the traditional WA State playing kit, i.e.: gold jersey, black shorts, black socks with a gold fold-over.
Looked pretty striking in play, on TV or in the stands.

Force on SA_Tour_O'Young.jpg
80340436.jpg
73041928.jpg
Matt_Hodgson_jumping_at_a_kick_off2.jpg

For sentimental reasons, my favourite is the Force's original away kit, which was in WA colours with the black swan RugbyWA logo across the back. It was quite literally a Western Force update on the traditional WA State playing kit, i.e.: gold jersey, black shorts, black socks with a gold fold-over.
Looked pretty striking in play, on TV or in the stands.

View attachment 185593
View attachment 185595
View attachment 185597
View attachment 185598
thats gorgeous. Why did they swap to blue?! i mean I love the blue and black, but it makes no sense for Perth

thats gorgeous. Why did they swap to blue?! i mean I love the blue and black, but it makes no sense for Perth
WA can be a funny place sometimes. I remember someone asking me once, "Why did the Rebels go with navy blue? There are so many different colours to choose from"
I said, "Those are Victorian State colours"
The look they gave me was kinda like I was speaking a foreign language. I had to explain to them that our States and territories had sporting colours and that the State they lived in was named "Western Australia." I got this look:
4661679.jpg

I've noticed a lot of that from under-30s here, not everyone mind you, but with the late 80s generation onwards, State identity is not as much of a thing here as it is in other parts of Australia. For example, there wasn't the same uproar here when the Eagles wore a State-of-Origin jumper, as there was in South Australia when the Crows did it. When Perth Glory started to wear a "WA Heritage" 3rd kit with State colours and a black swan, there were a lot of social media here criticising them for looking like Wellington Phoenix and asking "Why those colours?! Purple are Perth Glory's colours!" etc. There's certainly no Maroon-wearing "Queenslander!!!" types here.

So to answer in a long-winded way, the State colours thing wasn't overly important, and the ocean-inspired mid-blue was deemed "pretty." The fact that it clashes with half the teams in the league is irrelevant apparently. Though I do like to bring this question up with people who accuse me of being a stodgy traditionalist, "Do you think Queensland should wear blue? How about the Canterbury Crusaders and Wellington Hurricanes wearing a lovely dark blue, just like Auckland? That would be pretty too."

The other factor, is that the name, colours and possibly the idea for the logo were ripped straight from
the Generic USA Sports Franchise Marketing Handbook
The Force took their name and colours from the Georgia arena gridiron football team and the Cleveland indoor soccer team.

okb96fhl0zpfumufqvrwlgy74.gif
807_georgia-force-wordmark-2011.gif
7491_georgia_force-home-2004.gif

force-m.gif
da5bbe7b7b88dbd500d443927f788e9d.jpg
ForceUniform.jpg

Last edited:
The fact that they clash with everyone is hilarious. Your so right mate. The only other team that wears gold is Wellington, and a clash kit would have been easy to sort.

Still black and blue is THE best colour scheme

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that they clash with everyone is hilarious.
Indeed, I've never ever understood that one. I remember when it was brought up that being a provincial team, the new WA Super 14 team would naturally wear gold'n'black; there was a remark that it would clash with the Hurricanes. Then they picked blue! :p

:eek: I was afraid of this as I use a fairly basic editing program and it can look different on various screen sizes.

Can you show me a screenshot?
The overlays look good but websites like historicalkits and footyjumpers.com have none whatsoever

The overlays look good but websites like historicalkits and footyjumpers.com have none whatsoever

Oh sorry, I get you now, you mean the creases? HFK actually do have very faint ones, almost unnoticeable though.

In the past, I didn't have them (my other site it Pride In The Jersey - Gaelic games) in the past but then felt they needed some extra oomph, I suppose I might be losing something in jpeg compression

Vomit.

4A45D84B-A64A-EC44-10AEA674B98915072016-Away-Jersey.jpg

From their release it is described as:

"featuring a striking white and maroon panelled design with gold chevrons down the front"

http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2015/10/20/national_storage_joi.html

Why/how the Broncos keep screwing up their jersey is beyond me. It's not that hard.

EDIT: Oh god, and they've made the home jersey worse.

Weird thin vertical stripes and a completely unrequired black outline around the NRMA logo. The 'grippy' nonsense on either side of the jersey isn't helping either.

So disappointing. On so many levels.

4C75071E-B65B-DB43-3702E85803C881062016Home-Jersey-Front.jpg

Last edited:
Oh sorry, I get you now, you mean the creases? HFK actually do have very faint ones, almost unnoticeable though.

In the past, I didn't have them (my other site it Pride In The Jersey - Gaelic games) in the past but then felt they needed some extra oomph, I suppose I might be losing something in jpeg compression
It looks nice, but when documenting the history of a sport, it's best to go without.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Rugby League/Union Kits discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back