Rugby League - who knows what?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Joffaboy

It will be a very funny day when England becomes a republic and Australia is still a constitutional monarchy (dont laugh, it will probably happen). At least the Queen will have somewhere to live when that happens :D :D.

I am a staunch republican and would love to see Oz become a republic, but the flag is OK. It harks back to our cruel and barbaric past when the british upper classes consigned the starving masses of England and the shoeless people of Ireland to the old penal colonies in Oz. Perhaps something on the flag celebrating our indegeneous population would be appropriate.

As for some of the bands you stated. Most of the 60's bands like the Stones and Cream just stole black American music and made it OK cause whities were doing it (same old story).
And since when has Jimi Hendrix been English?
And since when has Dido been a band, I thought she was an English sheila witha lilting voice.

You forget one of the most influencial bands of modern music in the Saints.Hailed as the by many as the uinfluence behind the Punk and new Wave eras in Britian and compared to the Clash and Damned as the greatest of these bands.

The so called Aussie bands you named AC/DC (Scottish really) and INXS (totally crap) are ordinary nowdays but still compares favourably with some of those Pommy bands you have named over the past ten years.

Oasis, the Verve and Stone Roses are all a bunch of arse bandits (thanks Harry Einfield) who are totally talentless.
Jamiroquai looks like bloody Cat in a hat with a drum machine with only one setting (dance) and a Stevie Wonder voiced wannabee.

Massive Attack are always interesting, but you forgot the best Pommy band of the last decade Blur.

Still we have Kylie and Dannii - so there :p :p :p

Don't be silly. British popular music dwarfs every nations with the exception of maybe the USA. British music gets regular attention in the US - I must confess the only Aussie song I've heard since I've been here (NYC) is the video of Kylie shaking her little 'tush' going 'La la la - la la la la la'. Not conclusive proof granted - however suffice it say - I think your surf gear travels better than your pop music.

C'mon man, don't player hate!!!!!

I give you guys full marks for your cricket team - and good quality. reasonably priced white wine!!!!

ps. the point on the Jimi Hendrix experience was that they were a band formed in the UK - with two british members - in fact symbolising London circa 1966. Hendrix received little recognition until he moved to London in fact. Might be the point Brett was making.

Originally posted by fabulousphil

I also had heard that pommy had been derived from the pommy granit ( spell check ) the nut of the english tree, but in any case a lot of the covicts who were bought to OZ were of irish descent and im sure they would not want to be called poms.

Basically the only sport they are interested in is soccer ----and it gives them a excuse to riot and get drunk because its such a boring game---------the poms are absolutely pathetic at most other games in comparison to their population---- re-- rugby, rugby league, hockey, swimming, athletics (except west indian immigrants ) cricket etc etc etc .

Its rather ironic really because a lot of sports were actully formalised in england.

As far as im concerned the sooner we get rid of the union jack of our flag the better ( nothing to do with reply but i just wanted to say it)

Are you trying to prove to everyone you are a xenophobic, player hater - who talks complete $hite when he has internet time?

Let's go through you last point about sport:

1. England has a world ranking of No.2 - and beat Australia the last couple of times we played. We also knocked Australia out of the Rugby World Cup last time we both played each other - no?

2. Rugby League - minority sport in the UK

3. Hockey - even more minority

4. Athletics - so all our athletes are West Indian? and so cannot be considered British - that right? seems to me you consider their achievements to stand apart from general British achievement. Any reason for this?

In addition, I think Allan Wells, Liz Lynch, Paula Radcliffe, Roger Black, Jonathan Edwards, Sally Gunnell, Seb Coe, Steve Cram might have one of two things to say about you calling them West Indian immigrants.....

('Hey - Australia are crap at Athletics if you don't count their Latin immigrants ....De Castella, Moneghetti, Cappabianca ' .....MORON!!!)

You fail to mention Soccer ..... England played very well in the last world cup .. and lost 2-1 to the eventual winners. Brazil has a population around 5 times the size of England - what do you think?

Why do you crap on with such hatred in your heart about England/Britain's relative success/failure in just one element of society. Was the subject compulsory at High School?

Originally posted by NYPomme

1. England/Britain's relative success/failure in just one element of society. Was the subject compulsory at High School?

Thats a good point, i might consider contacting the education department regarding the possible inclusion of this subject its sure to be a winner.

I also had heard that pommy had been derived from the pommy granit ( spell check ) the nut of the english tree, but in any case a lot of the covicts who were bought to OZ were of irish descent and im sure they would not want to be called poms.

Basically the only sport they are interested in is soccer ----and it gives them a excuse to riot and get drunk because its such a boring game---------the poms are absolutely pathetic at most other games in comparison to their population---- re-- rugby, rugby league, hockey, swimming, athletics (except west indian immigrants ) cricket etc etc etc .

Its rather ironic really because a lot of sports were actully formalised in england.

As far as im concerned the sooner we get rid of the union jack of our flag the better ( nothing to do with reply but i just wanted to say it)

Firstly if anyone is genuinely interested in the origins of Pom there was a massive thread on this in general talk a while back & it was pretty interesting, it basically proved that there was no cast iron certainty where it comes from but some of the ideas were worth reading

As for your views on British sport & Britain in general, that's up to you I have no urge to change your mind on anything you're obviously a full time pommie basher & good luck to you for that, personally I know loads of Aussies & have a lot of good mates over there who heaven forbid actually like us but if you want to hate us then go on.I must just bring a couple of points to your notice, firstly I agree we underperform at sport in general & it pains me on a daily basis but are we really pathetic at rugby?did we not beat the great Wallaby side the last time we played them?Anyway talk is cheap on that topic the WC will sort it all out.

You then go on to mention athletics but claim we are only not pathetic at that due to West Indian immigrants.But these immigrants are almost to a man bron in this country does this still make them immigrants in your eyes & does it mean that they don't really represent our country?Think carefully about your answer because effecticely what your saying is that only sporting achievements by indigenous Australians should count & that all your other sporting achievments such as Rugby union world cups,rugby league wc,Davis Cup,Ashes Tests series etc should really be attributed to the countries that these 'immigrants' to Australia originally came from so on the understanding that most of these sportsmen will have some of that 'pommie' blood in them that you so despise you're really attributing all those successes to us!So thanks very much for that I feel a lot better now knowing that we can take the credit for thses sporting achievements.

Originally posted by DIPPER

Firstly if anyone is genuinely interested in the origins of Pom there was a massive thread on this in general talk a while back & it was pretty interesting, it basically proved that there was no cast iron certainty where it comes from but some of the ideas were worth reading

As for your views on British sport & Britain in general, that's up to you I have no urge to change your mind on anything you're obviously a full time pommie basher & good luck to you for that, personally I know loads of Aussies & have a lot of good mates over there who heaven forbid actually like us but if you want to hate us then go on.I must just bring a couple of points to your notice, firstly I agree we underperform at sport in general & it pains me on a daily basis but are we really pathetic at rugby?did we not beat the great Wallaby side the last time we played them?Anyway talk is cheap on that topic the WC will sort it all out.

You then go on to mention athletics but claim we are only not pathetic at that due to West Indian immigrants.But these immigrants are almost to a man bron in this country does this still make them immigrants in your eyes & does it mean that they don't really represent our country?Think carefully about your answer because effecticely what your saying is that only sporting achievements by indigenous Australians should count & that all your other sporting achievments such as Rugby union world cups,rugby league wc,Davis Cup,Ashes Tests series etc should really be attributed to the countries that these 'immigrants' to Australia originally came from so on the understanding that most of these sportsmen will have some of that 'pommie' blood in them that you so despise you're really attributing all those successes to us!So thanks very much for that I feel a lot better now knowing that we can take the credit for thses sporting achievements.

No - Dokic, Klim - and the whole Australian gymnastics team and field events teams medals might find there way back to the countries of their birth.

..... these folks are so much more Australian than our UK-born athletes of afro-carribean extraction are British:rolleyes:

Don't be silly. British popular music dwarfs every nations with the exception of maybe the USA. British music gets regular attention in the US - I must confess the only Aussie song I've heard since I've been here (NYC) is the video of Kylie shaking her little 'tush' going 'La la la - la la la la la'. Not conclusive proof granted - however suffice it say - I think your surf gear travels better than your pop music.

C'mon man, don't player hate!!!!!

I give you guys full marks for your cricket team - and good quality. reasonably priced white wine!!!!

ps. the point on the Jimi Hendrix experience was that they were a band formed in the UK - with two british members - in fact symbolising London circa 1966. Hendrix received little recognition until he moved to London in fact. Might be the point Brett was making.

NYPomme, I dont know what you mean by player hate. I was just addressing the examples of British Music that Brett Li had put forward.
If I hated British music I would have said that it was ALL crap, which it plainly is not.
Keith Richard has stated on numerous occassions that the Stones are just whites playing Blues. Thats his quote. I named the Saints as an influencial band on modern day rock as it is recognised in the industry that they were. That and the fact that someone mentioned the Radiators and I was embarrassed with that comparision to the great Brit bands.
So please dont stereotype me with this "player hate" rubbish. I was a teenager during the punk era, I was right into the ska and rocksteady revival of the 80's, still listen to reggae (including early Police and UB40 recordings) have always loved yank funk and bottom end rythm, and nowdays am into house, techno, rap, and anything else I find enjoyable.

Elvis Costello would be my all time favourite songwriter and performer (along with David Byrne).
Just remember mate pidgeon holes are for pidgeons.

What does "player hate" mean? :confused:

Should I be taking it as some sort of insult. ;)

Should I start PMing the mods and get some people banned?

Forgive me if somebody defined it already but this thread has turned into a pile of steaming ****, which I'm only skim reading.

Apart from the obvious racist nature of these remarks - doesn't their blatant lack of truth make you just slightly embarassed?

Apart from the obvious racist nature of these remarks - doesn't their blatant lack of truth make you just slightly embarassed?

Whats your point whiteboy

Originally posted by Brett Li

I would have thought it pretty clear. If you don't understand maybe you would like to ask a friend to explain?

i'm not a friend but i'll try and help you. You comments are both non-factual and also rascist. there, didn't hurt did it?.

Settle, settle there Brett---- back to the pipe and slippers and maybe a rerun of "on the buses"

Originally posted by Brett Li

you really aren't well today are you?. Is that supposed to be an insult? :confused:

again, if you are able, please explain the "whiteboy" line.

Oh i thought it was the other post you want me to explain now you want me to explain something else

well whiteboy --hmm-what does that mean -hmm white boy

hmm w-h-i-t-e b-o-y what does that mean, i am writing it slowly white boy what does that mean.

Whats your point whiteboy

.. that you don't watch sport ... it can be my only conclusion drawn from your stupid comments.

I think you are secretly trying to prove to everybody that you are a chippy little xenophobic bigot with an inferiority complex!

Why are you calling me whiteboy?

Soccer = beat Argentina, Denmark, and went out by one goal to the eventual winners (actually made the finals)

Rugby Union = ranked No.2 in the world

Athletics = Doing SO badly aren't we :rolleyes:

Cricket = yep - doing poorly at cricket too :rolleyes:

Face it, English swimmers are even winning medals they shouldn't be winning ...... and breaking world records .....

Phil .... does the responsible adult in your household who is paying the telephone bill know that you are online?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Fabulous Phil..

Originally posted by Ms.Storm
Well, I am surprised to see you on this message board;)

Have you started to get interested in the rugby codes.....hope so.:D

I am interested in most things of the sporting persuasion, and yes that includes the rugby codes.

Living in Canberra for quite some time allows you to gain some idea about most of the football codes.

I'm summarising your nation's opinion of UK swimmers - moron!

What an Oxymoron, UK swimmers. How many Pommies like going anywhere near water????

You Pommies are so precious. I've just read your haughty replies to Australian posts. Who gives you the moral high ground to call someone racist when they present facts about the hopeless nature of Pommie sport?

Your country would have to be the most class ridden racist society every to have lauded it over the rest of the world (except perhaps Japan who are right up with you lot for racism).

For hundreds of years your country exploited others in a disgraceful display of classist racism and imperialism. What your breed has done to the Scots, Welsh, and Irish to name just three races over the years is appalling.
The Brits under Kitchener were the first country in the world ever to use concentration camps. During the Boer War your countrymen killed thousands of women and children of boer decent by starvation and disease.

So get off your flaming high horse you complete hypocrits and see what your country has imposed on the world for hundreds of years with racism before labelling anybody else racist.

And i haven't even started on the way you have treated Asians at home and abroad.

What an Oxymoron, UK swimmers. How many Pommies like going anywhere near water????

You Pommies are so precious. I've just read your haughty replies to Australian posts. Who gives you the moral high ground to call someone racist when they present facts about the hopeless nature of Pommie sport?

Your country would have to be the most class ridden racist society every to have lauded it over the rest of the world (except perhaps Japan who are right up with you lot for racism).

For hundreds of years your country exploited others in a disgraceful display of classist racism and imperialism. What your breed has done to the Scots, Welsh, and Irish to name just three races over the years is appalling.
The Brits under Kitchener were the first country in the world ever to use concentration camps. During the Boer your countrymen killed thousands of women and children of boer decent by starvation and disease.

So get of your flaming high horse you complete hypocrits and see what your country has imposed on the world for hundreds of years with racism before labelling anybody else racist.

And i haven't even started on the way you have treated Asians at home and abroad.

Goddam you Joffaboy you stole my exact words.

Reminds me of a Billy Brownless joke on the footy show.

Q. Wheres the best place to hide your money in England.

A. Under the soap of course.

Goddam you Joffaboy you stole my exact words.

Reminds me of a Billy Brownless joke on the footy show.

Q. Wheres the best place to hide your money in England.

A. Under the soap of course.

Having been to the land of the great unwashed, I think the above statement is more fact than joke.
Hygiene not big on the agenda with most Poms, even in Oz where it is a necessity to bathe at least once a day.

The Brits under Kitchener were the first country in the world ever to use concentration camps. During the Boer War your countrymen killed thousands of women and children of boer decent by starvation and disease.

So get off your flaming high horse you complete hypocrits and see what your country has imposed on the world for hundreds of years with racism before labelling anybody else racist.

The Boer War was fought in 1902 .... and was never a race war ....
Dunno quite what the relevance to me pointing our RacistPhil's comments ... I certainly do not support British Imperialism - and would NEVER jump to any British person's defence if they came out with the sort of bigoted comments that you feel the need to defend .....

To give you a little background .... Phil seems to be a perenial offender on this score .... hence the accusations ... which no doubt will be made again.......

Another thing I want to point out is your use of the phrase ......
'my breed'!!!!!!!!. Could you explain what 21st Century Britishness - and has to do with 'Breed' - and why you assume that my being British means that I neccessarily come from an imperialist gene pool. Britain is a multi-cultural society comprising people from many many ethnic backgrounds. It is one of the genuinely good things about British society IMHO.

You do not think I have the right to point out Phil's racism when I see it - WHY? - cos you assume that my ancestors (only conclusion from the ridiculous 'breed' comment) tortured Boer Children .....

3 of my grandparents were born outside of the UK - and my remaining Grandparent has welsh origins ... Under your rules, am I allowed to pass comment?

I guess ALL Americans were slave owners ....
ALL Spanish people conquistadors ...
and presumably .... all white settlers in Australia ..... well how would you say Aboriginals were treated 100 years ago?

:rolleyes:

Kitchener was Irish by the way ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Rugby League - who knows what?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back