Rumour Rumour File II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting, I'm sure I read somewhere that the GC said they are not really going to be looking at trading picks for players

I would love to have Brennan, I know he's got his inconsistencies but I think he would be a really good fit for us, and has plenty of years ahead of him, Waite aside we don't really have any utility type players of his quality
I believe I saw somewhere in the HUN that Gold Coast will be willing to trade a top 10 draft pick for Brennan. But why would Brisbane want to trade him off to the Gold Coast when they stole Rischetteli from them? That would be my way of thinking anyway

I think he'd be great for us there too. Definitely not KPD, but all these people who've been saying they want to see Waite on a wing would be very happy watching Brennan running around taking heaps of marks in the middle of the ground.

I agree, he will be a massive asset for us if he gains consistency. People will forget that his first month for the Lions was massive and this was reflected in his brownlow results. He suffered that ankle injury and he went down with the ship. For the first month he played in between the 50 metre lines and was causing havoc.

If he can regain anywhere close to that for a sustained period of time then he is def worth pick 14 in this draft.

I can see the Lions accepting a worse pick from us just so he doesn't hit up to the GC....we could even pick up some more of Fev's salary ;)

I believe I saw somewhere in the HUN that Gold Coast will be willing to trade a top 10 draft pick for Brennan. But why would Brisbane want to trade him off to the Gold Coast when they stole Rischetteli from them? That would be my way of thinking anyway
Why would the want to deal with us since we gave them FEVOLA??:eek:

I think he'd be great for us there too. Definitely not KPD, but all these people who've been saying they want to see Waite on a wing would be very happy watching Brennan running around taking heaps of marks in the middle of the ground.
When will we ever learn?

Embrace the draft and look for more diamonds in the rough.

If we get pick 14 somehow for Jacobs, I will self immolate if we on trade that pick and what we get for T Bird for Brennan.

Brennan is 27 next year.

We're underselling fresh meat by looking at getting a flaky player who is an inconsistent freak.

As you know, I'm one of Walker's biggest fans and defenders, yet I wouldn't be against trading him for the Dogs' Harbrow pick and getting a new player in. If we had have kept the picks we traded for Warnock, we'd still be set with Jacobs, Hampson and Kreuzer leading the ruck. Though the Warnock trade could be seen as the catalyst that gets us a good pick/s and gives us a versatile big man.

No more players unless they're proven and consistant performers.

And they don't move.

When will we ever learn?

Embrace the draft and look for more diamonds in the rough.

If we get pick 14 somehow for Jacobs, I will self immolate if we on trade that pick and what we get for T Bird for Brennan.

Brennan is 27 next year.

We're underselling fresh meat by looking at getting a flaky player who is an inconsistent freak.

As you know, I'm one of Walker's biggest fans and defenders, yet I wouldn't be against trading him for the Dogs' Harbrow pick and getting a new player in. If we had have kept the picks we traded for Warnock, we'd still be set with Jacobs, Hampson and Kreuzer leading the ruck. Though the Warnock trade could be seen as the catalyst that gets us a good pick/s and gives us a versatile big man.

And they don't move.

But it comes to a time TG, when we need to get some ready made players onto our list. Our list is currently full of under 22 developing guns and we need some more mature players to be able compete in the finals.

By doing what you are saying to do and using all our picks in a compromised draft then we are going to get less talent than normal and also just add further years onto reaching our premiership window whilst the Judd man is still around. Don' you have faith in the current pool of young kids we have already?

Not necassarily the case WIR....some kids are more ready made than others...I wouldn't have picked Nat Fyfe to make such an instant impact at the top level for example and what pick was he?

Are we obligated to build the best possible team for Judd or the best possible team for Carlton?

North have the right idea if it's true that they want a draft pick and not a player for Urquhart.

We'd do the Walker for Everitt trade if it was only about the short term.

These McDonald and Brennan rumours might deter someone like Grigg from re-signing.

Are we obligated to build the best possible team for Judd or the best possible team for Carlton?

North have the right idea if it's true that they want a draft pick and not a player for Urquhart.

We'd do the Walker for Everitt trade if it was only about the short term.

These McDonald and Brennan rumours might deter someone like Grigg from re-signing.

But surely if pick 14 in this draft is really a late 20's pick normally, then getting Brennan for a pick around the late 20's is a steal?

Not necassarily the case WIR....some kids are more ready made than others...I wouldn't have picked Nat Fyfe to make such an instant impact at the top level for example and what pick was he?

He was pick 20, which is closer to say top 10 this year.

I just think that in such a depleted pool we are better off taking proven types.

:thumbsu:

We should be aiming for a flag when Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Yarran, Russell, Warnock, Hampson, Henderson, Lucas, Grigg, Bower, Armfield, Jamison, Garlett, Betts etc enter their prime in sync.

We have a better chance with that window than we do with the Judd window. We wont rely on Judd so heavily forever.

It still might be another 3-4 years away. But adding another 1 or 2 top liners to that group is far more important, and will be more beneficial than adding a Brennan.

I dont like being mediocre either, but the league is designed to be this way.

When will we ever learn?
Brennan is 27 next year.

I'm leaning your way on this one TG.

As other's, I can see Brennan free wheeling through the centre and it looks great, but it looks great one game in three or four.
We have a few of these already and I'd sooner invest the time in our own 22 - 24 year olds rather than try and teach an older dog new tricks.

FFS, he's even scared of the cooler conditions in Melbourne :eek:
What next? He'll nominate the position he wants to play in?

Not a first rounder for this one, please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before this talk about first rounders for Brennan goes too far

BRENNAN -

-We are showing a fair bit of interest in Brennan.
-Icke said that Brisbane DO NOT want to give Brennan to GC...Brisbane feel that he hs a marquee player and that they will loose supporters if he goes to GC. He said that Brisbane "dont want Brennan competing with them in their own backyard".
-Icke mentioned that Brennan is a Darwin boy and he loves the sunshine, so playing in melbourne is not is preference.
-When I asked him about on trading pick 14 or trading pick 18 for him, he said that they will not trade a pick/s to get Brennan. He said that if they get him they will trade 'a player'. This really got me thinking.
-I got the impression that Icke thinks we can get him cheap somehow.
-So if we digest all of this, here is the situation. Brennan wants out of Brisbane, both us and GC are keen but we r more keen than GC are, Brisbane want to trade with us and not GC, Brennan wants to go to GC. This is all very complicated, so watch this space i guess.

Lot of things are said, inferred and even whispered in this pre-trade period, but it all hots up next week and so does the decision making.

It was a comforting post we all read yesterday, but until ink meets paper, we just don't know and to some degree neither do the trade participants.
Things can change very quickly.

Sometimes we do forget here though, that our opinions amount to nothing when it's all said and done.
I just hope we go into battle next week armed to the hilt. :spade:

What could we give them though? would be way too much compared to a draft pick.

Listen, I would be happy if we kept any pick rather than using it on Brennan..I'm not 100% for it.

I am just over "rebuilding"...it's been way too long.

Huh? Fyfe was pick 20 in the 2009 draft.

Who are the mature players in this draft we should be aiming for?

I think it is a bit more subtle than attacking it with a meat axe like that. Like Harks, I'm saying you pick wisely to add talent than makes the whole greater than the sum of the parts. Whether that's at 18 or 55.

I think it is a bit more subtle than attacking it with a meat axe like that. Like Harks, I'm saying you pick wisely to add talent than makes the whole greater than the sum of the parts. Whether that's at 18 or 55.

I agree :)

Ok lads you have convinced me, I am now thinking straight....

I'm in for keeping the draft picks :thumbsu:

I am just over "rebuilding"...it's been way too long.

I feel we're in a position where we're rebuilding from the inside out rather than looking outwardly for quick fixes.

We now have our core grouping of say 16 - 18 players, with the next batch coming on sooner than later.
I'd be very disappointed if we didn't see big improvements in players, Yarran, Lucas, Davies, Hampson, Grigg, Henderson, Austin and Kerr next year.
I also don't see the more seasoned players that haven't really made the mark with us yet, in Warnock and Mclean going backwards either.
We may well have our best crop of rookies for some time, making headway next season also.

Not to say we shouldn't be topping up our list where the right player and opportunity allow, but change for change's sake is not winning me over right now.

It is not pick wisely, it is pick luckily. Picks at that level are pure specualtion. Most draft picks are.

No, it is pick wisely for us right now.
We have most positions pretty well covered and choosing best available has served us well for the position we were in.
In order to set ourselves for serious challenging we have somewhat more identifiable gaps than we had previously and whether trade period or draft period allow us to slot the right indiviuals, that may well be the path we track.

Pick 14 may well be very important for us, and a security blanket of 18 would just about seal the deal for the big men we need.

I'm with TG on this one ..at our current stage of development draft picks are the way to go ...keep them, get them...and let Hughes weave his magic....the only players available that would suit our needs are all too old..forget about them and concentrate on the draft, and hope we find a couple of gems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back