Rumour Rumour File II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Injured his shoulder in a contest with Rooke, so I guess he's soft. Walker was flamed by Harley for not getting body on Menzel, yet that was arguably insulting to Menzel's ability and skill. Curiously, the commentators didn't say a word about Hodge pulling up and letting his opponent get a free run at a mark today. I guess you have to be a whipping boy, not a player who everyone has a dose of man love for to be bagged.

Walker finished in the top six of our best and fairest as a 20 year old in 2006. I think he's shown more than ability than many give him credit or little credit for. A player who has kicked 34 goals as a defender/wingman/defensive midfielder in his 100 games (many when he was injured in the last three years) clearly has talent. Definitely has more talent than the "he's only played seven good games" mantra which is constantly cut and pasted to criticise Walker. Walker was playing in a poor side as teenager, so the argument he hasn't done much is interesting and harsh given injuries.

Pagan was a terrible coach who had no idea where and how to develop AW, let alone Kennedy and Bower. JR and Bower looked more lost than Walker ever did at the same stage in their careers. If you line JR and Walker up side by side, Walker is easily the better talent because he has x factor, was aggressive, broke the lines and could kick goals. Has played on Brad Johnson, Robertson, Aker, S.Burgoyne and Croad before his shoulders problems reared it's ugly head. JR would have been killed if he had have been given those roles at the same stage in his career. Yet Walker beat all of them except for Brad Johnson who was too strong and powerful for the then 20 year old defender.

The fact Walker was picked at two is only relevant to his draft, not the pick we used. The 2003 draft wasn't a super draft like 2001, 2006 and 2008. We didn't end up with Bradley, Clarke, Tenace and Trotter who were top ten picks.

So he didn't play well against a good team, yet the Geelong game is talked down because he was only playing on Hawkins?

Walker was named in the team of the week on AFL.com.au three times for his performances.

I can recall Walker burning off Watts who isn't slow.

Nice spin.

Walker can only play well against his opponents, rather than pick and choose when he plays well.

Like many, you probably felt the same way about Toovey, Wellingham, Macaffer and Leigh Brown playing in a flag after 2009.

You're log in clearly isn't Thinks_alot.

Chance Bateman can't kick for shit, but is a premiership player and a run with mid/flanker like Walker.

One of his stuff ups against Freo was a hideous mongrel he directed to a contest at CHB.

1) You compared Hodge and Walker...lost all credibility straight away...reminds of when you said Hampson was a good mark after he took one mark one time...please start off all your evidence with "there was this one time at band camp!"
2) Walker in the top 6 B&F 2006...we only had 4 decent players and only a few older than a teenager so says nothing...you're spinning shit
3) Walker has always had incredible potential but has never delivered for a variety of reasons...bad luck/injuries being number 1, and not mentally strong enough
4) In the here and now he is pretty mediocre, maybe ok
5) Played well early in the season due to a rocket up his bum...on the edge/under fire he is good enough for sure...without being on edge his kicking/tackling fail him
6) You crap on about Pagan and Bower/Kennedy...what a load of bullsheet...you wouldnt have a clue and just think this...IDIOT! More than anything else, both were just not ready!
7) Hawkins is a duffer! But Walker was impressive
8) Walker is a cretin off-field...no wonder Carlton has been a basket case
9) The only key thing you said that makes real sense is that yes, you can have fringe players in a prem 22, and maybe he could fill this role

You keep basing your judgement on Walker being a number 2 pick, athletic gem who can run all day and occasionally pull out a blinder. Times have changed since then.

If he gets his confidence back, Ratten puts a rocket up his backside, he isnt injured, he can tackle again, he can make good decisions, he can kick ok, and he can be disciplined, then yes, he is worth keeping.

I look forwards to his 5 good games next year :rolleyes:.

His best value is providing leadership (something we lack bigtime) being one of the older players...oh yeah, we've seen his leadership last off-season.

Injured his shoulder in a contest with Rooke, so I guess he's soft. Walker was flamed by Harley for not getting body on Menzel, yet that was arguably insulting to Menzel's ability and skill. Curiously, the commentators didn't say a word about Hodge pulling up and letting his opponent get a free run at a mark today. I guess you have to be a whipping boy, not a player who everyone has a dose of man love for to be bagged.

He was probably unaware that Rooke was even coming. If you think he doesn't lack awareness you're blind. Hodge was clearly injured and it was one of the only times I've ever seen Hodge pull out, unlike the many times Walker has. Plus your argument doesn't explain how he will start tackling properly all of a sudden. He got shrugged off by a SMALL forward. Walker has no strength left in his shoulders to complete an aggressive tackle.

Walker finished in the top six of our best and fairest as a 20 year old in 2006. I think he's shown more than ability than many give him credit or little credit for. A player who has kicked 34 goals as a defender/wingman/defensive midfielder in his 100 games (many when he was injured in the last three years) clearly has talent. Definitely has more talent than the "he's only played seven good games" mantra which is constantly cut and pasted to criticise Walker. Walker was playing in a poor side as teenager, so the argument he hasn't done much is interesting and harsh given injuries.

As a 20 year old he finished 6th in his third year at the club. Do you remember who won it that year? not much competition was there? Our team was shit in 2006 and 2007. If ya don't believe me, the fact that Carrazzo won it in 2007 says it all.

And don't think I havn't noticed the recent digs you've had at Carrots, and he's a Best and Fairest winner :eek::eek::eek:

LOL you've just dug yourself into a deeper hole there havn't you? Walker's good and talented because he finished 6th in our B&F but Carrazzo is shit and he won it the very next year.

Pagan was a terrible coach who had no idea where and how to develop AW, let alone Kennedy and Bower. JR and Bower looked more lost than Walker ever did at the same stage in their careers. If you line JR and Walker up side by side, Walker is easily the better talent because he has x factor, was aggressive, broke the lines and could kick goals. Has played on Brad Johnson, Robertson, Aker, S.Burgoyne and Croad before his shoulders problems reared it's ugly head. JR would have been killed if he had have been given those roles at the same stage in his career. Yet Walker beat all of them except for Brad Johnson who was too strong and powerful for the then 20 year old defender.

Was aggressive? Was? Implying he isn't anymore? If he isn't then what good is that? BTW you can't say JR would've been killed because there is no way you could possibly know that. Also I always said he has good running ability which is why he played a good tagger role and yes he can break lines BUT he turns it over most of the time.

The fact Walker was picked at two is only relevant to his draft, not the pick we used. The 2003 draft wasn't a super draft like 2001, 2006 and 2008. We didn't end up with Bradley, Clarke, Tenace and Trotter who were top ten picks.

Colin Sylvia is doing pretty well.

So he didn't play well against a good team, yet the Geelong game is talked down because he was only playing on Hawkins?

I knew someone would say this, I should've listed his opponents rather than the teams.

Walker was named in the team of the week on AFL.com.au three times for his performances.

Again, I put it down to his poor opposition making him look better than he is. Adelaide and the Eagles hardly have any really damaging forwards (LeCras was taken by Russell IIRC) and Melbourne on a wet day, Watts really had no chance of making Walker think twice about running off him.

I can recall Walker burning off Watts who isn't slow.

Nice spin.

Another running ability point. OK we get it the guy can run.

Walker can only play well against his opponents, rather than pick and choose when he plays well.

So why doesn't he play well when he has a tough opponent?

Like many, you probably felt the same way about Toovey, Wellingham, Macaffer and Leigh Brown playing in a flag after 2009.

You're log in clearly isn't Thinks_alot.

Since when did Collingwood win a flag with those players? Enlighten me. In fact tell me how you know the weaknesses in those players are not going to be exposed on the big stage of Grand Final day if they even make it. Thinks_alot clearly isn't your log in either. You play favourites instead of actually analyzing the player's ability.

Chance Bateman can't kick for shit, but is a premiership player and a run with mid/flanker like Walker.

Bateman has always been better than Walker because he has brains on the field and doesn't just blindly run into a tackler like Walker. His kicking isn't the best but at least he makes better decisions.

One of his stuff ups against Freo was a hideous mongrel he directed to a contest at CHB.

I could bring up all of Walker's hideous mongrels, but I'd have the longest post in BF history.

... I could bring up all of Walker's hideous mongrels, but I'd have the longest post in BF history.

While I generally agree with most of what you have said, we have held on to him way too long now to be of much value to us as a trade. He's worth more to us now as a depth player hoping that the games he comes in for are the 'five good games' he has a year.

While I generally agree with most of what you have said, we have held on to him way too long now to be of much value to us as a trade. He's worth more to us now as a depth player hoping that the games he comes in for are the 'five good games' he has a year.

I'd agree with this. I wouldn't be trading him unless I could be sure that the player on offer or the relevant pick would be better than him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vinsain has told us we'd trade Fish for Maguire and that Matthews was close to a coaching role with us this year. Make a credibility judgement on your own folks :eek:

Yeah fair enough, no argument there. That deal was going to happen till saints went cold on Fish and as for Leigh they threw a bucket load of cash at him but he is just not interested in coaching again.

Vinsain has told us we'd trade Fish for Maguire and that Matthews was close to a coaching role with us this year. Make a credibility judgement on your own folks :eek:

It's that time of the year Zee, we're never gonna make top four with so and so on the list so it's time to delist everyone and win the flag with a bunch of 5th round draft picks next year.

Tanks_alot is an interesting poster...

I can acknowledge Carrazzo and Hadley were good in the second half, but this supporter won't change his tune.

Tool.

Sorry to say it but sounds alot like you, your bias towards some of our players thAt clearly won't be any good is embarrassing to say the least !! sometimes it's better to just call a spade a spade .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back