Rumours that Doc Reid has called it a day (Doc Larkins)

Remove this Banner Ad

He is being judged for not following up on that letter. If you know there is an issue, you can't just write the letter,hand it to someone and wash your hands of whats at the cause of the problem. As a medical practitioner, you have to make sure it gets acted on.

We say it over and over again, but the foolish don't get it. "I sent a letter!" Thanks Pilate, did you send it at Easter?

This whole Doc Reid thing actually sort of reminds me of the whole Joe Paterno incident. Not quite as severe but still, through inaction he didn't do his job.

Possibly a generational issue where you think a polite word will suffice and probably did all those years ago.

not anymore. as a registered medical officer this is his legal responbsibility, the clinical governance of all the medical components at the essendon football club.
he would have been one of the practitioners referred to ahpra.

Definitely not a rumour. You only had to look at him. He was almost in tears and he completely ignored Hird as he walked past pregame.

Reading too much into TV. They are all working. Do we now expect everyone to be hugging each other pre and post game to show they are united?

Possibly so, but then he's unfit to hold his office anyway if that's the case.
Definitely. I wonder if this was a case of decades of doing things the old way, thinking it would suffice. Don't cause too much trouble because the club always handled it the old way.

Which makes it more pertinent that clubs get rid of that old boys club mentality. You have to remember, Essendon had the longest tenure of a coach that I know of in Sheedy and I guess with that came a method of dealing with issues. Sheedy moves on, some of the personnel and their mindset didnt possibly. Those that remained may not have grasped the new expectations that exists in the game.

I'm sure Reid knew his responsibilities, maybe he just never understood the new personalities he was dealing with.

I'm sure Reid knew his responsibilities, maybe he just never understood the new personalities he was dealing with.

I think he *thought* he did. "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." ie Jimmy was different once the club let him run the entire ship, not the same bloke Reid had dealt with in the preceding decades.

Turning a blind eye is an interesting behaviour. I know it is practised in this sport.
When the blind-eyed gather, that's corruption.

Integrity is a 100 per cent thing. You either have it or you don't. You shouldn't abandon it to protect mates, legends or the brand.

It isn't to say that you can never be forgiven but for that to happen there needs to be admission, contrition and an urge to make amends.

One of the worst sins of the blind eyed is to ignore wrong doing when it affects someone innocent.

I think he *thought* he did. "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." ie Jimmy was different once the club let him run the entire ship, not the same bloke Reid had dealt with in the preceding decades.
It's hard to imagine that someone could have had a bigger hold over a club as Sheedy had, but maybe Essendon found one.

Look at the angst Malthouse caused leaving Collingwood. McGuire was right to push him out. 12 years just means a ever growing power base that is hard to knock down if all of a sudden you need to steer the ship in another direction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard to imagine that someone could have had a bigger hold over a club as Sheedy had, but maybe Essendon found one.

Look at the angst Malthouse caused leaving Collingwood. McGuire was right to push him out. 12 years just means a ever growing power base that is hard to knock down if all of a sudden you need to steer the ship in another direction.

+1

But remember the Ziggy report talked of him being marginalised, and brushed aside for the 'new', 'modern', sport scientists and biochemists. Reid may have been cut out completely, and there wasn't a lot he couldn't do.

We will at least find out his side of the story soon, from the two sides the media should be able to piece together a realistic timeframe and occurrence of events from which you can make judgement on the likes of Reid.
Bullshit. He wasn't cut out completely. He knew what was going on, therefore wrote the letter.

That was a fair while ago now. His duty was to blow the whistle and he squibbed it. That goes absolutely against his role as a doctor and the esteem in which we hold the profession.

I don't really feel sorry for Dr. Reid.

I spoke to an AFL club doctor yesterday & he said Reid failed in his duty of the care towards his players. Then went onto to state that the Dr. is considered the most 'sacred' position within a football club and his word needs to hold true over anyone else's.

He simply sent a letter and wiped his hands clean of it.
In a previous era at EFC, maybe his position was the most sacred. New coach intent on believing sports science was the key to success, places diminished emphasis on the old conventions, a doctor who is probably past his best at imposing his will and you have a recipe for disaster.

The Doc deserves no sympathy at all
He signed off on aod-9604 without making a single phone call to ASADA.
He didn't provide a single player with any adequate warnings.
He supposedly writes a letter to cover himself and never follows it up.

To top it off he tried to act like a little tough guy like some small town gangster with his 'tell them to f* off'.

I cant believe how gullible pr spin to have sympathy for the Doc. Youd thnk he was doinga community service. Is he looking after disadvantaged patiens? NO. Is he working in some developing country ? NO.

I can tell you there are hundreds of Drs out there right now that we will never hear about doing real charity and community work. Dr Reid is NOT one of them. His association with the club helps his profile, his ego and his private business. He receives all the perks that go with it. He is no victim. He is only serving himself and deserves no sympathy.

The Doc deserves no sympathy at all
He signed off on aod-9604 without making a single phone call to ASADA.
He didn't provide a single player with any adequate warnings.
He supposedly writes a letter to cover himself and never follows it up.

To top it off he tried to act like a little tough guy like some small town gangster with his 'tell them to f* off'.

I cant believe how gullible pr spin to have sympathy for the Doc. Youd thnk he was doinga community service. Is he looking after disadvantaged patiens? NO. Is he working in some developing country ? NO.

I can tell you there are hundreds of Drs out there right now that we will never hear about doing real charity and community work. Dr Reid is NOT one of them. His association with the club helps his profile, his ego and his private business. He receives all the perks that go with it. He is no victim. He is only serving himself and deserves no sympathy.
Don't hold back, what are you trying to say?

The reality here is that the Doc had failed before he sent the letter, otherwise he would not have had to send it in the first place.

He was on the outer, and this was his last gap to try and do something about it in a mealy mouthed way.
As the Club Doc e should have been personally speaking to people, and demanding to be involved.
If that did not work, then he should have resigned.

But instead of a resignation letter he chose instead to write a letter that he would have known that the Hird disciples would ignore, and to then hang around as a "fan" rather than as a Club Doctor.

He chose singing the club song, over following his Hippocratic Oath.

he is best mates with evans and hird
if anyone believes a discussion was never had they are dillusional

as for AOD, Hird and Evans were looking to invest in the drug distribution business, which would mean they would know of its status

PR crap

Dr Reid is guilty and should have been sacked

Bullshit. He wasn't cut out completely. He knew what was going on, therefore wrote the letter.

That was a fair while ago now. His duty was to blow the whistle and he squibbed it. That goes absolutely against his role as a doctor and the esteem in which we hold the profession.

Bit of Pontius Pilate you reckon?

In a previous era at EFC, maybe his position was the most sacred. New coach intent on believing sports science was the key to success, places diminished emphasis on the old conventions, a doctor who is probably past his best at imposing his will and you have a recipe for disaster.
Club doctors in most clubs still have the final say and as they report to the board their opinion is valued. EFC though provided that one man is as big as the club and what he wants he gets regardless of what others think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumours that Doc Reid has called it a day (Doc Larkins)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back