Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Spot on. The other element is spread.

You can have legspeed, but if you're poor on the spread you're in trouble. Right now I don't think we're spreading particularly well which is hurting us in transition.

Is the potential inclusion of Wills helping us in that area?
I doubt it, but we'll see soon enough...

One of the issues with the spread is that our inside mids this year - Adams, Greenwood, De Goey and Crisp are very much crash in and get the ball moving in our direction types, they don't really have the class or compusure to be particularly effective at distributing the footy to guys on the outside. If Wills is an improvement in this regard, he'll help with the spread. Pendlebury getting fit and returning to the midfield will be the biggest help.

One of the issues with the spread is that our inside mids this year - Adams, Greenwood, De Goey and Crisp are very much crash in and get the ball moving in our direction types, they don't really have the class or compusure to be particularly effective at distributing the footy to guys on the outside. If Wills is an improvement in this regard, he'll help with the spread. Pendlebury getting fit and returning to the midfield will be the biggest help.

I'd like to see Crisp spread better. If he could utilise his pace on the outside better that's big for us. Between Treloar, Pendles, Sidebottom, Varcoe and Crisp our spread should be more than adequate.

I'd like to see Crisp spread better. If he could utilise his pace on the outside better that's big for us. Between Treloar, Pendles, Sidebottom, Varcoe and Crisp our spread should be more than adequate.

The weird element to us in 2016 is that we seem to be undercommitting numbers to contests (which I like because it allows better structure in other areas) AND getting done on the spread. Against Sydney I got it because the effort wasn't there, but I just don't know how it could have been such a struggle v Richmond...

He's an inside midfielder who excels in contested ball around the stoppages. Is a bit of a sloppy kick at times largely due to the fact that his kicks are usually in pressure situations. He seems to have a good technique though so hopefully this will tidy up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can have legspeed, but if you're poor on the spread you're in trouble. Right now I don't think we're spreading particularly well which is hurting us in transition.

Is the potential inclusion of Wills helping us in that area? I doubt it, but we'll see soon enough...
Watched him in the VFL today and he doesn't move that badly at all for such a big bloke. Agree that our spread has been diabolical though

He's an inside midfielder who excels in contested ball around the stoppages. Is a bit of a sloppy kick at times largely due to the fact that his kicks are usually in pressure situations. He seems to have a good technique though so hopefully this will tidy up.

Bit of a sloppy kick hey ..... Perfect .... Will fit right in with most of the senior team. Get him in there I say

Is the potential inclusion of Wills helping us in that area? I doubt it, but we'll see soon enough...

I'm keen for most to spread but happy if Goldsack doesn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back