Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn Guilty for the Murder of Carol Clay

When will the jury have delivered their decisions of guilty or not guilty on both?

• 1st day

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • 2nd day

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Between day 3 and 5

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Over 1 week

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Hung on one or both timeframe unknown

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

""As a COVID project, Lynn bought a bee hive. When he was stung, he suffered an allergic reaction that put his heart out of rhythm and required strong medication.
This left the pilot unfit for flying, and he was assigned to simulation training.
If he were still flying, police would have been forced to alert Jetstar of their concerns over Lynn flying hundreds of passengers around Australia. This would have alerted him that he was the suspect and foiled the police strategy of building pressure.""

The latter paragraph has not really been highlghted before, AFAIK, but it highlights another of the fortuitous circumstances that define this case. IMO, the work done by police via media realases/60min was a significant factor in him succumbing.
The gate closed, Hill's phone left on, Hotham camera, him already reassigned from flying on medical grounds...so many holes lined up in the slices of swiss cheese to allow this conviction ,that he could have very possibly evaded if one or more of them hadn't occured.
This "chance" element i consider a remarkable part of the case, given his careful, considered, precise and methodical actions post the deaths.

Ps: Everyone i know who travels to the HC knows about the Hotham cameras.... I have always thought the Hotham camera may have been a carefully thought out "timestamp" for his journey (and later alibi), but RH's phone brought that undone. Countering my theory, is he avoided all the Hume Fwy cameras?
Who really knows what was going thru his devious mind, except the convicted murder GL himself..

GL gave testimony that he took the back roads to get back to Melbourne for this very purpose. After driving past the most well known traffic cameras in the entire region!

One thing that still does not make sense is why GL would even travel home via Hotham from Union Spur Track which is just out of Dargo. It was something like 1 and a half hours longer to go that way back to Caroline Springs and there were plenty of options to exit the VHC south via Princes Hwy to return to Melbourne. Or he could have gone back via Licola etc.

Yeah, a bit surprised that their first reaction was "they have run off together"
That seems often to be the default explanation when someone disappears, especially women, eg Lynette Dawson, Bronwyn Winfield, Marion Barter, and more. Put in the too-hard basket.

GL gave testimony that he took the back roads to get back to Melbourne for this very purpose. After driving past the most well known traffic cameras in the entire region!

One thing that still does not make sense is why GL would even travel home via Hotham from Union Spur Track which is just out of Dargo. It was something like 1 and a half hours longer to go that way back to Caroline Springs and there were plenty of options to exit the VHC south via Princes Hwy to return to Melbourne. Or he could have gone back via Licola etc.
Maybe because he had some things to get rid of on the way?

Has GL said how he lifted the bodies into the trailer?
I think you will have to use your imagination with this. However if it had a tail gate this would have been dropped allowing him a far easier ramp up to do so. It's not something I like to think about. When you think of all the stages Lynn had to deal with and what happened to them it makes me feel sick.

Crime scene to court: Why the jury didn’t buy Greg Lynn’s story (PAID ARTICLE)​

Sorry this is a paid article. If anyone has a subscription could they post the content?

A trial is always about what happens in the court, not what happened at the crime scene. Which means a jury of six men and six women in the Supreme Court spent seven days deciding what happened 346 kilometres away and 1558 days earlier.
(There had been a plan to take the murder jury to the crime scene on a giant army Chinook helicopter, but it was deemed to be too expensive.)

View attachment 2032227

That’s an excellent article. The jury turned out to be very astute. They didn’t believe Lynn any more than we did, and found a way to nab him that was logical and within the law.

That seems often to be the default explanation when someone disappears, especially women, eg Lynette Dawson, Bronwyn Winfield, Marion Barter, and more. Put in the too-hard basket.
When you look at how the camping site was left , the fire, the car, their burnt belongings I don't know how you could come to the conclusion they run off together? Their wallets still in the car etc. It simply doesn't make sense. Perhaps because their relationship wasn't above board this gave it merit? Perhaps because I already know what happened I'm coming to this conclusion but if you all ask yourself if you were confronted with this scene would you think they ran off together without their wallets and car from the middle of nowhere?

When you look at how the camping site was left , the fire, the car, their burnt belongings I don't know how you could come to the conclusion they run off together? Their wallets still in the car etc. It simply doesn't make sense. Perhaps because their relationship wasn't above board this gave it merit? Perhaps because I already know what happened I'm coming to this conclusion but if you all ask yourself if you were confronted with this scene would you think they ran off together without their wallets and car from the middle of nowhere?
No, it was a ridiculous suggestion right from the start.

Yes very good point.

To think they ran off together one would have to deduce they had staged the disappearance with help from a third party. An elderly couple are not getting out of Wonnangatta on their own accord.

The more I read of Lynn's response on the evening and subsequest actions he doesn't really come across as the criminal mastermind, it was a litany of klutzy actions which eventually caught him in a web of his own deceits

I think he initially decided that he was going to make it look like a robbery ... leave the bodies, take the drone, money and pretend he wasn't there.

He rethought it ... disappear the bodies and burn the site so that the mess of the murders was covered. Set fire to the tent and the car might go up too. Again pretend he wasn't there

Isn't aware of the road closure after the fires? 5 minutes research on Google before even going up there in the first place would have informed him of the closures if he knew the country and the effect of the fires

Dumps the bodies and covers them with branches and pretend he wasn't there

Goes out via Hotham, going out via Dargo gives you more sealed backroads to make it to Melbourne, but he would have to drive across the city

Police knock on his door. Spur of the moment response, pretends he wasn't there which raise flags.

Maybe if he had said that he was there, saw the couple but didn't pass on the information to the police because he had observed nothing and left earlier because there were too many people there scaring the game and camped at Grant for the night(?).

If he had offered a few fake sightings of other vehicles (?)

Why did he go back to burn the bodies? The smell of decomposing wildlife near a road is not unusual on bush tracks; the probability of them being discovered and linked to him was minimal.

He was advised to say nothing by the duty solicitor but he thought he knew better and presented a balderdash story that a year 12 Legal Studies student could drive a Kenworth through

Not a criminal mastermind by any long shot

One of the truisms of the Criminal Justice System is that most people inside are unlucky, thick or have a big mouth

He was unlucky and had a big mouth.

The more I read of Lynn's response on the evening and subsequest actions he doesn't really come across as the criminal mastermind, it was a litany of klutzy actions which eventually caught him in a web of his own deceits

I think he initially decided that he was going to make it look like a robbery ... leave the bodies, take the drone, money and pretend he wasn't there.

He rethought it ... disappear the bodies and burn the site so that the mess of the murders was covered. Set fire to the tent and the car might go up too. Again pretend he wasn't there

Isn't aware of the road closure after the fires? 5 minutes research on Google before even going up there in the first place would have informed him of the closures if he knew the country and the effect of the fires

Goes out via Hotham, going out via Dargo gives you more sealed backroads to make it to Melbourne, but he would have to drive across the city

Police knock on his door. Spur of the moment response, pretends he wasn't there which raise flags.

Maybe if he had said that he was there, saw the couple but didn't pass on the information to the police because he had observed nothing and left earlier because there were too many people there scaring the game and camped at Grant for the night(?).

Why did he go back to burn the bodies? The smell of decomposing wildlife near a road is not unusual on bush tracks; the probability of them being discovered and linked to him was minimal.

He was advised to say nothing by the duty solicitor but he thought he knew better and presented a balderdash story that a year 12 Legal Studies student could drive a Kenworth through

One of the truisms of the Criminal Justice System is that most people inside are unlucky, thick or have a big mouth

I think he had to go back, once he was identified on the camera. He had to obliterate the bodies so no one knew what he did to them. He had to destroy the evidence, so he could muddy the waters if he was charged and it was successful. If all the information was known I think people would be horrified (much more so than they are now).

I think you will have to use your imagination with this. However if it had a tail gate this would have been dropped allowing him a far easier ramp up to do so. It's not something I like to think about. When you think of all the stages Lynn had to deal with and what happened to them it makes me feel sick.
Yes it does leave it to your imagination. Makes me feel sick too because without any evidence you really don’t know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what I find interesting.
I imagine it’s difficult to lift dead weight. Is is possible to do?

If adrenaline's pumping with that trailer sitting quite low, it would be possible imo.

Yeah well said. Off course hinesight is a lovely thing. When you really simplify this whole sad debacle there is only one thing to be learnt. You simply don't kill people just out of anger. And once again guns kill people and yet we know are far better off than America for example. None of this needed to happen or perhaps it did so Lynn the psychopath would get caught.!

I think he had to go back, once he was identified on the camera. He had to obliterate the bodies so no one knew what he did to them. He had to destroy the evidence, so he could muddy the waters if he was charged and it was successful. If all the information was known I think people would be horrified (much more so than they are now).
Exactly. If the bodies had been found intact, it would have been obvious they had both been murdered, imo.

HS article just says she’s holed up in her home with do not trespass and do not disturb signs. Nothing else but click bait.

Although it did make this prediction at the end of the article:

“Due to the high profile nature of the case, he will most likely be whisked into a protection unit at a maximum-security prison. Protection units are for inmates who need to be isolated from mainstream prisoners for their own safety”.
Waiting for the news to roll out the corresponding drop in value in neighbouring Caroline Springs houses ‘chestnut’ now its officially murder.

This is what I find interesting.
I imagine it’s difficult to lift dead weight. Is is possible to do?
I know I could do it, but it would be bloody difficult, and I’m not sure of lynns height, weight or general fitness.

Either way, dragging would have played a big part.

I mean, we can say this now, but I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was on the edge of their seat a few days ago, waiting for the verdict to come in and gobsmacked that it looked like he may have gotten away with it.

When the reports came out on the morning of the verdict that the jury was clarifying the two charges and advised that the could return two different verdicts was when I thought it could mean guilty of Clay's murder, not guilty of Hill's.

It's fascinating, looking back at the first 20 odd pages of the original thread on the disappearance and lining it up with when things were happening behind the scenes.

Like, it's hard to reconcile Lynn's wife laughing hysterically and apparently thinking "Well that's a funny coincidence" at the traffic photo of the Patrol, considering what a game breaker it was considered to be in the media and here. Nearly as hard as it is to reconcile Lynn's heartfelt "I'm just so sorry for your suffering" apology with what the covert recordings caught him saying about them.

I feel like there was probably little - if any - friendliness between the two parties from the get-go, contrary to Lynn's version. I think tempers have simmered with Lynn getting the spot Hill wanted and then Hill setting up closer than Lynn would have liked: they probably resented the other's presence there from the start. It's festered from Lynn's guns and hunting and Hill flying his drone overhead, maybe Lynn firing at the drone (a warning shot) was the catalyst that caused things to boil over. Lynn's killed Hill, I imagine with his gun and then killed Clay.

some great quotes from the original thread, page 1/2

this is a real mystery,two pensioners shouldn't stray too far away I think the end result is going to be very interesting

IMO they have been murdered, I don't have any idea why. And I think the camp was burnt to hide the evidence. Some one could have taken the bodies miles away and disposed of them. The burn pattern area is very strange, just the tent area and a small canopy attached to the ute. Seems like ( in my uneducated opinion) was just a slow burn and the tent and canopy just fell in on itself and extinguished. One chair is knocked over and other tent items seem to be strewn around. Maybe some one killed them to steal the drone? Did they accidentally fly over a marijuana crop?

I know I could do it, but it would be bloody difficult, and I’m not sure of lynns height, weight or general fitness.

Either way, dragging would have played a big part.

Zipped up in a sleeping bag, a few twists of rope right around and it would become much easier.

Back