Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn sentenced 32 yrs with a non-parole period of 24 yrs

When will the jury have delivered their decisions of guilty or not guilty on both?

• 1st day

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • 2nd day

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Between day 3 and 5

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Over 1 week

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Hung on one or both timeframe unknown

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is PART 1 Russell Hill & Carol Clay - Wonnangatta *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty to Murder

DPP v Lynn [2024] VSCA 62 (12 April 2024) INTERLOCUTORY APPEAL

R v Lynn (Rulings 1-4) [2024] VSC 373 (28 June 2024)

R v Lynn (Rulings 5 & 6) [2024] VSC 375 (28 February 2024)

R v Lynn (Ruling 7) [2024] VSC 376 (8 May 2024)

The Greg Lynn Police Interview Tapes (Shortened Version)

The 3.5 HR Police Interview

R v Lynn [2024] VSC 635 (18 October 2024)

THREADS FOR THE HIGH COUNTRY DISAPPEARED
High Country Disappearance of Prison Boss David Prideaux
The Disappearance of Warren Meyer

2008 - Warren Meyer (23 March 2008) not found
2010 - Japp and Annie Viergever (29 March 2010) both shot & 3 dogs, house burnt.
2011 - David Prideaux (5 June 2011) not found
2017 - Kevin Tenant (17 February 2018) shot 3 times, played dead.
2019 - Conrad Whitlock (29 July 2019) not found
2019 - Niels Becker (24 October 2019) not found
2020 - Russell Hill and Carol Clay (20 March 2020) murdered

Lynn's first wife Lisa, was found dead on 26 October 1999.

Last edited:
For the victims of crime compo fund. That isn't a civil suit. Police determine the appropriate compo.

Sue for damages​

You may also be able to make a civil claim against the offender to get compensation for the injury you have suffered. This will depend on whether the offender has any assets (money or other things they own). The offender does not have to have been convicted or found guilty in a criminal court for this to happen. You can include the loss, destruction or damage of your property in your claim. Get other support for victims of crime.

For the victims of crime compo fund. That isn't a civil suit. Police determine the appropriate compo.

The police don't determine how much a victim or injured party receives, the Victims of Crime Tribunal does that. It isn't always necessary to secure a conviction to qualify either.

The channel 7 reporter couldn’t have put more words in RH’s wife’s mouth than if they tried, I felt sorry for her, for the way she was somewaht exploited for that exclusive on TV but I guess she needed to vent. She was quite the opposite of what I imagine CC to be. RH was definitely living another life with CC

IMO these murders didn’t generate anywhere near as much outrage as would if the couple involved was younger. That two oldies lost their lives is a bit sad more that its horrific, which is a sad indictment. Sensing a bit of ageist coverage of the case, in a similar vein to the way sex workers’ murders are downgraded.

Last edited:

The channel 7 reporter couldn’t have put more words in RH’s wife’s mouth than if they tried, I felt sorry for her, for the way she was somewaht exploited for that exclusive on TV but I guess she needed to vent. She was quite the opposite of what I imagine CC to be. RH was definitely living another life with CC

IMO these murders didn’t generate anywhere near as much outrage as if the couple involved was younger. That two oldies lost their lives is a bit sad more that its horrific, which is a sad indictment. Sensing a bit of ageist coverage of the case, in a similar vein to the way sex workers’ murders are downgraded.
So true - The notion that Russell Hill was just a grumpy old guy asking for trouble. The media love to pigeon hole people because dumbed down suits them and their readers.

IMO these murders didn’t generate anywhere near as much outrage as would if the couple involved was younger. That two oldies lost their lives is a bit sad more that its horrific, which is a sad indictment. Sensing a bit of ageist coverage of the case, in a similar vein to the way sex workers’ murders are downgraded.
You make some good points. Hope the sentencing doesnt reflect the victims ages? Or it becomes a joke like Oscar Pistorius. Whose story was worse, Lynns or Pistorius? Obviously both were cases of rage and temper then find a story to hide the truth? Oscar delivered the crocodile tears no way Lynn sheds one tear IMO

Good luck finding a lawyer to take it on. Huge $$$ with a low chance of a good result.GL was a acquitted in court, legally the judge pretty much declared if he is innocent of murder he is also innocent of manslaughter.

At the very least GL is in prison so there's that. Surely the families would be better off investing their time and money elsewhere rather than drag the whole thing back into court again.
I don't believe the families would pursue that in fact in their statements they have accepted the result whilst airing their feelings. The question of a retrial is with Lynn not the prosecution or the families IMO. It's done unless Lynn decides otherwise.

The police don't determine how much a victim or injured party receives, the Victims of Crime Tribunal does that. It isn't always necessary to secure a conviction to qualify either.
Yes 1 x conviction for Clay means Clay's family get some money and none for the Hill family. If I were the families they could decide to share the funds but that would be up to the families and 'm guessing unlikely. We don't know if there is some resent already between the families, only they would know? Russell only has himself to blame for the wife and girlfriend scenario, obviously not for being murdered he could not have known he was dealing with a Physco Killer IMO or when he found out it was too late for him to do much, he had no way of defending himself against a gun. I believe he was also shot and that's why Lynn claims Hill and himself fired shots off to cover for the fact someone could have heard those gunshots in the valley. Witnesses Lynn already met and knew were there. It's a sad post death scenario, this is when the emotions and pain set in and any frustrations with what could have been done differently etc etc

That would be 'not guilty' of the murder of RH.
Murder OR manslaughter or any crime within that, ie assault, recklessly cause injury, threat to kill, etc, etc. Double jeopardy

Whether he can be charged now separately for any offence AFTER RH died, ie, 'interfering with a corpse' I am not sure.

My guess would be no, as the facts that make up that offence were part of the Crown case of murder. So I don't think he can be presented on that again under a different charge.

Again, double jeopardy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make some good points re the judges thinking. What's interesting though now all his past and the recordings of his behaviour post murder has been made public it's like the lid has been lifted. As I understand it a re-trial is starting all over again and the pros could vastly improve their tactics given MS was off the table. Could it be they charge Lynn with manslaughter over Hill and murder once again for Clay? Just thinking how the defense would see their chances given they also have to be aware of what the Pros will do in a retrial? No legal expert obviously but there are risks for the defense I would have thought? It seems like a can or worms and Lynn has to be prepared to fork out the big bucks all over again. With the talk of a fresh coroner's inquiry into Lisa Lynn's death everything could capitulate for Lynn IMO.
As per double jeopardy I don't think he can be charged with MS over RH as its a related charge. RH is off the table as far as further charges go.
A retrial would only be for CC. And only if he won an appeal

If the gate to the north was open he would have got away with it.

If he didn't take the phone he would have got away with it - this to me is so odd considering everything else he did. Why did he keep it? Was he hoping it would ping to create a red herring, I assumed since the Adrian Bailey case it was well understood what phones, even turned off could do.

Heck, if he didn't crack on day 3 of the police interview would they have been able to convict him of anything? Given that it was only his admission that connected his firearm to the ballistic and forensic evidence.

You should have been advising the Prosecution! Where were you when you were needed ! That is so relevant! Even more so that the guy rope IMO. And as you so cleverly point out, apart from PJ’s most don’t have pockets, and even if they did, phone would slip out even just getting into the sack. And as you say who would even do that ! No reception. Hill was a logger and HF radio expert spot on about radio wireless reception etc.
Unravelling Lynn's story is the major challenge to coming to the truth of the events on that fateful day. It seems like there are so many lies, half truths and truths that Lynn has woven into his version that it's impossible to know when one begins and one ends.
If Hill and Clay were in their pj's per Lynn's story I don't believe the phone was in Hill's pocket. And if he had a jacket on as Dogs_ R_ Us suggests Lynn probably would have noticed that rather than the pj's and Hill surely would have put his boots on. If the pj wearing was a complete fabrication by Lynn I have no idea how it contributes to his defense, in fact it detracts from it. It baffles me that he didn't find and turn Hill's phone off earlier unless he saw Hill's other phone in the car and assumed he only had one.
Such an interesting case. I'm happy he's been convicted of at least one of the murders and here's hoping the Judge doesn't go lightly on the sentence.

If he didn't take the phone he would have got away with it - this to me is so odd considering everything else he did. Why did he keep it? Was he hoping it would ping to create a red herring, I assumed since the Adrian Bailey case it was well understood what phones, even turned off could do.
He may have thought that there were incriminating pics on it and was intent on destroying it and as I said in an earlier post a lot of phones can't be shut down without being unlocked.Mine can't.

If the gate to the north was open he would have got away with it.

Heck, if he didn't crack on day 3 of the police interview would they have been able to convict him of anything? Given that it was only his admission that connected his firearm to the ballistic and forensic evidence.
Almost got away but not quite. Absolute nonsense re the wearing of PJ’s. How did the cops not pick up on that part
of the fairytale ?

That phone could have been anywhere on Clay or Hill and Lynn clearly didn’t realise until it was too late. Maybe Clay grabbed it and shoved it in her pocket hoping to use it if she got away etc.

I reckon he might have folded on day 3 because he didn’t know what the cops had on him and his activities. It must have been torturing him.

Maybe he had retraced his movements prior to police tracking him
and realised that CCTV had his number plates and of course he would have later discovered the phone, much to his dismay. He would have been only too aware of the workings of mobile phone towers etc.

I reckon he thought he could convince the cops with his well rehearsed tale of woe.

Agree. I realise both the Clay and Hill families have endured the worst of times losing their loved ones. But the person I feel most upset for is Mrs Hill. Hubby was her only boyfriend. Met when a young woman. Her whole life was centered around him really. Clearly she loved the man. Packing his bags, caring for him. Making sure he had cash, a bottle of whiskey, his meds etc. I bet she ironed his Tshirts!

The final peaceful chapter of her life has been shattered.

She’s had to endure the emotional pain and psychological distress of knowing he was off with another woman, leading a life without her. And knowing her daughters knew. And now the whole world.
I’d say she’s very mentally strong and disciplined. She was still able to say she liked Clay and it made no difference to the sadness she felt about Clay’s death.

And now she’s being pounced on by opportunistic journalists.

As per double jeopardy I don't think he can be charged with MS over RH as its a related charge. RH is off the table as far as further charges go.
A retrial would only be for CC. And only if he won an appeal

Unless further compelling evidence, or a confession, is found relating to RH.

GL can be charged with offensive conduct involving human remains x 2 for burning each of the bodies. 2 years maximum per charge. There is also destruction of evidence maximum 5 years per charge.

Destroy or damaging property is also a possibility with the burning of the campsite.

I'm not sure if there is a statute on those charges, but could it be possible to charge him with those offences at a later date, say while on parole if he ever got out as he has essentially confessed to all the above?

GL can be charged with offensive conduct involving human remains x 2 for burning each of the bodies. 2 years maximum per charge. There is also destruction of evidence maximum 5 years per charge.

Destroy or damaging property is also a possibility with the burning of the campsite.

I'm not sure if there is a statute on those charges, but could it be possible to charge him with those offences at a later date, say while on parole if he ever got out as he has essentially confessed to all the above?
Consecutive, hopefully, but maybe concurrent, depending on the length of the sentence 😟

Not going to happen.

Cast your mind back of all the murders committed in Victoria where a body has been dumped in a shallow grave or their legs cut off to fit in a barrel or the homosexual necropheliac who went back the next day to bugger the body again (that happened in the remote bush too) ,

I can't remember one of being charged let alone being convicted of disposing of a body or interfering with a corpse.

If they were going to charge him with any further matters it would have been already done and heard at the same time

Any Court would take a very dim view of a prosecution doling out charges related to the one offence in dribs and drabs

A murder conviction is a trump card

Remove this Banner Ad

Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn sentenced 32 yrs with a non-parole period of 24 yrs

Back