Player Watch Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

As terrible as he is with Houston's pending suspension they might force him to play games which would make us look much worse.

The only other option I can think of with Houston and Jones out would be to bring Sinn back into AFL level or to send one of JHF/ Burgoyne to a flank which I wouldn't want to waste either of those behind the ball.

Conditions didn't really suit him to play the role we had intended for him.

If Mitch doesn't get up he might get another week in

Conditions didn't really suit him to play the role we had intended for him.

If Mitch doesn't get up he might get another week in
Burton has the profile to replace Houston. He's just in absolutely horrendous form.

Sinn is the other option but his kicking just isn't up to it.

Burton has the profile to replace Houston. He's just in absolutely horrendous form.

Sinn is the other option but his kicking just isn't up to it.
Effort > Kicking everyday of the week

You need to get the ball to kick it, Burton doesn't even try these days.

Sinn has played on the wing normally when he plays at AFL. Will be very interested to see how he goes in a Houston role where defensively he's less accountable and offensively has the license to take the game on like Houston

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone needs to have a real man to man talk with Ryan this week about his career and his legacy.

This next month or so might be his only real chance to have a lasting impact.
Spot on - this is his make or break moment. If Kenny or whoever can get this guy motivated and firing, then it significantly reduces the impact of losing Houston.

Effort > Kicking everyday of the week

You need to get the ball to kick it, Burton doesn't even try these days.

Sinn has played on the wing normally when he plays at AFL. Will be very interested to see how he goes in a Houston role where defensively he's less accountable and offensively has the license to take the game on like Houston
Totally agree - but on our entire list, Burton is the one with the profile to match Houston. His best is right up there.

We need to find a way to motivate him and get him firing for the 6 weeks.

I'd take a motivated and in form Burton over Sinn coming into finals.

I'd give Burton the role this week against Freo, and if he doesn't fire, pull the pin on him and play Sinn in the first final.

Someone needs to have a real man to man talk with Ryan this week about his career and his legacy.

This next month or so might be his only real chance to have a lasting impact.
It is that time of the year to step up.

He has an opportunity to play hard footy for a month and help the team win a premiership and go down in Port Adelaide history.

Totally agree - but on our entire list, Burton is the one with the profile to match Houston. His best is right up there.

We need to find a way to motivate him and get him firing for the 6 weeks.

I'd take a motivated and in form Burton over Sinn coming into finals.

I'd give Burton the role this week against Freo, and if he doesn't fire, pull the pin on him and play Sinn in the first final.

See while I agree that skill wise he's the best replacement, he can't get away with a full season of effortless performances. I bet the club have already tried to fire him up and it hasn't worked in any way.

Its also unfair on Sinn to miss out against Freo and then go into a finals game straight. I think it was Burton's chance in the second half of the Showdown to show us something down back and he messed it up.

The least Port Adelaide player since Nathan Lonie.
Harsh.

But maybe correct. Have to think about it. Simon Phillips wasn't great.

Burton definitely has the skill set to cover Houston to quite a large extent.

But does he have the fire to compete? Will he put his body on the line? And most importantly, will he allow his direct opponent to run around like an unregistered dog.

Our backline has been very impressive defensively since Ratugolea and Burton have left it. Rat didn't adjust to the scheme and Burton was unbelievably unaccountable to the point of lazy ambivalence.

I didn't like him back in the side because the boys had had a change of attitude especially in the backline and having Burton back in could breed or bring that unaccountable malaise back into the team. We will see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back