Ryan John Zabaznow - Alleged BHP Rapist * Convicted

Remove this Banner Ad

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I am hoping someone on here may have heard about any possible conclusions to the above case.

It was all over WA and national media when it happened as resource companies went on the warpath over sexual harrassment, sexual assault, disrespectful behaviours etc etc. towards women.

At the time, I worked at Mining Area C for BHP and the alleged rape took place at the South Flank, Mulla Mulla Camp. South Flank is a $4b expansion of Mining Area C. There was very little talk about it around the camps or on site at the time, but he is alleged to have said that he believed he had strong evidence to beat the allegations and he would vigorously defend himself.

The last thing I can find online is a story from January 2022 that says there was a hearing set down for April 2022 to set a trial date and then nothing that I can find. The alleged rape took place in Nov 2020. It's like it's just disappeared.

As a contractor, Zabaznow was sacked almost immediately and hammered by management.

The main reason I'm asking is because in June 2021 (10 months before the hearing to set a trial date) we all received emails at work that stated as fact that the rape took place, in effect confirming that Zabaznow is indeed a rapist. It made a lot of us uncomfortable and when we raised it with management at our pre-start meeting the next morning we were shut down.

Any help from anyone? I have had a look on FB and he was posting in September 2022 and on Linkedin it says he has been with the same employer for over 5 years, I guess that doesn't mean he's currently working though.

Apologies in advance if it has been to trial and a conclusion reached. If that's the case I will delete the thread.

Please post the email text when your suspension is lifted HHH. Very interested to see how BHPB stated as fact an alleged rape occurred. Their legal department was very sloppy. Cheers.

Last edited:
Please post the email text when your suspension is lifted HHH. Very interested to see how BHPB stated as fact an alleged rape occurred. Their legal department was very sloppy. Cheers.

I couldn't private message you, but I wanted to respond to your request before I disappear again, here it is with the date, top right for when it was sent to us. This same message also came from the head of Minerals Australia and our immediate General Managers of both Mining Area C and South Flank.

18 June 2021​
Our Culture and Values

Team,

As most people are now aware, last year one of our team-mates was r*ped at Mulla Mulla Village. This has been a very distressing time for all of us, and most acutely for the people directly impacted. I want to reiterate that our priority is the wellbeing of our impacted employee. We have also been providing assistance to the police and their investigation.

Our culture, progress and determination

Over the past week I’ve spent more time with our team at South Flank and Mining Area C, talking about people’s personal experiences and our culture. Many people shared with me how much they enjoy working at WAIO and the support and care they receive from their crew and friends at work.

One thing is clear – everyone feels very strongly about not letting the utterly unacceptable actions of a minority undermine our continued commitment, work and focus on building a strong team culture within WAIO.

Sexual assault is a criminal issue and in some cases, sexual harassment is too. Both have no place in our society, or at BHP. Unfortunately like many workplaces around the world and in Australia, we have cases of sexual assault and sexual harassment. On this, we will not compromise – we are committed to doing everything necessary to eradicate sexual harassment and assault within WAIO.

Thank you to everyone who is working so hard on this.

Last year this commitment saw BHP consult with Australian Sex Discrimination Commissioner Kate Jenkins who released the Respect@Work report. The report focused on two important principles which are at the foundation of BHP’s approach: that sexual harassment should be managed as a health and safety risk, and employers must shift to a ‘victim centric’ approach in their response to incidents, including through investigations and the communication of outcomes.

The importance of being proactive

The report also calls out the importance of being proactive. This means each of us stepping up to help create the environment and culture that we want to work in. Anyone in WAIO who does not experience the highest standards of behaviour in our camps should raise any issues or concerns, either directly with their leader or via Ethics Point.

We also have a substantial program of village security already underway – upgrading rooms, lighting and signage, CCTV infrastructure, a 24/7 security presence, a walk to room service, upgraded door locks and chains, and the Safezone App. Over the next year work will continue on installing doors with swipe-card entry, CCTV coverage and further security lighting across all facilities. These investments and improvements have been progressing for some time, and we will push ahead and deliver them.

In early May, we announced the introduction of limits on alcohol at camps to no more than four standard drinks per day, in line with Australian guidelines. This change is coming into effect on 1 July. While this new policy seeks to support the health and safety of our people, I’m also confident it will make a huge difference to our culture and respectful behaviours overall. It is absolutely critical that people get behind this change and support it.

Our commitments from here

I want to recognise and thank everyone for your ongoing hard work and commitment to build a safer, smarter, better WAIO business. I am proud to lead the WAIO team – proud of our values and proud of our culture. To guide our way forward, we will continue to draw on our Charter Values – we do everything with respect, integrity and accountability.

Stay safe,
Brandon

Brandon Craig
Asset President, WA Iron Ore

I couldn't private message you, but I wanted to respond to your request before I disappear again, here it is with the date, top right for when it was sent to us. This same message also came from the head of Minerals Australia and our immediate General Managers of both Mining Area C and South Flank.

18 June 2021​
Our Culture and Values

Team,

As most people are now aware, last year one of our team-mates was r*ped at Mulla Mulla Village. This has been a very distressing time for all of us, and most acutely for the people directly impacted. I want to reiterate that our priority is the wellbeing of our impacted employee. We have also been providing assistance to the police and their investigation.

Over the past week I’ve spent more time with our team at South Flank and Mining Area C, talking about people’s personal experiences and our culture. Many people shared with me how much they enjoy working at WAIO and the support and care they receive from their crew and friends at work.

One thing is clear – everyone feels very strongly about not letting the utterly unacceptable actions of a minority undermine our continued commitment, work and focus on building a strong team culture within WAIO.

Sexual assault is a criminal issue and in some cases, sexual harassment is too. Both have no place in our society, or at BHP. Unfortunately like many workplaces around the world and in Australia, we have cases of sexual assault and sexual harassment. On this, we will not compromise – we are committed to doing everything necessary to eradicate sexual harassment and assault within WAIO.

Last year this commitment saw BHP consult with Australian Sex Discrimination Commissioner Kate Jenkins who released the Respect@Work report. The report focused on two important principles which are at the foundation of BHP’s approach: that sexual harassment should be managed as a health and safety risk, and employers must shift to a ‘victim centric’ approach in their response to incidents, including through investigations and the communication of outcomes.

The report also calls out the importance of being proactive. This means each of us stepping up to help create the environment and culture that we want to work in. Anyone in WAIO who does not experience the highest standards of behaviour in our camps should raise any issues or concerns, either directly with their leader or via Ethics Point.

We also have a substantial program of village security already underway – upgrading rooms, lighting and signage, CCTV infrastructure, a 24/7 security presence, a walk to room service, upgraded door locks and chains, and the Safezone App. Over the next year work will continue on installing doors with swipe-card entry, CCTV coverage and further security lighting across all facilities. These investments and improvements have been progressing for some time, and we will push ahead and deliver them.

In early May, we announced the introduction of limits on alcohol at camps to no more than four standard drinks per day, in line with Australian guidelines. This change is coming into effect on 1 July. While this new policy seeks to support the health and safety of our people, I’m also confident it will make a huge difference to our culture and respectful behaviours overall. It is absolutely critical that people get behind this change and support it.

I want to recognise and thank everyone for your ongoing hard work and commitment to build a safer, smarter, better WAIO business. I am proud to lead the WAIO team – proud of our values and proud of our culture. To guide our way forward, we will continue to draw on our Charter Values – we do everything with respect, integrity and accountability.

Stay safe,
Brandon

Brandon Craig
WOW. That's incredible. My flabber is utterly gasted. Thanks for posting.

Hopefully BHP B has not jeopardised this trial now. Unbelievable.

WOW. That's incredible. My flabber is utterly gasted. Thanks for posting.

Hopefully BHP B has not jeopardised this trial now. Unbelievable.

If it's proven he did it, suck shit, I hope he gets what's coming to him, if not, I hope someone had forwarded this email to him, which I think someone would have.

As I posted, our jaws hit the ground when we received it but management didn't want to know.

18 June 2021​
Our Culture and Values

Team,

Stay safe,
Brandon

Brandon Craig

I'm actually pretty impressed with this and it is very smart, I view this is the approach we need to take moving forward, whether he's guilty of rape in the eyes of the law will be for the courts.

I'm actually pretty impressed with this and it is very smart, I view this is the approach we need to take moving forward, whether he's guilty of rape in the eyes of the law will be for the courts.

In this case where both are employees of this company it's pretty harsh on the accused to straight out describe it as rape, given it seems like large portions of the company know who he is, without any court findings.

Whilst I agree that rarely does justice get served, it's very different for us as forum users to decide someone is likely guilty, to a company using language this way.

In this case where both are employees of this company it's pretty harsh on the accused to straight out describe it as rape, given it seems like large portions of the company know who he is, without any court findings.

Whilst I agree that rarely does justice get served, it's very different for us as forum users to decide someone is likely guilty, to a company using language this way.

Yes it's a bit surprising.

Looks like they're taking this very seriously and have probably made their own investigations.

Looks like they're taking this very seriously and have probably made their own investigations.

I think you can have a victim-centric approach without prejudicing a potential verdict.

I think without a court ruling to support it, they've got the balance wrong in this case - at least in terms of the wording they've used to refer to things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you can have a victim-centric approach without prejudicing a potential verdict.

There doesn't seem to be much press around it, so not sure of the real potential for that. It might be a typo too. :p

I think without a court ruling to support it, they've got the balance wrong in this case - at least in terms of the wording they've used to refer to things.

The email went out to their employees after what we can assume was a thorough investigation and I doubt the general public were supposed to see it. Looks alright from here if a little controversial.

From another source. Similat with a bit more detaail to the night and following day.

From another source. Similat with a bit more detaail to the night and following day.

On the face of it, seems like this could go either way. Wait see how it unfolds and if BHP ends up sued, not that I think they're going to care much.

Guilty.

"He testified the woman had done nothing to indicate that she did not want it to happen."

Pretty sure that isn't the standard for consent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan John Zabaznow - Alleged BHP Rapist * Convicted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back