Moved Thread Ryan Schoenmakers - is now a premiership winning forward and has a 2 year contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

For what its worth id leave Shoey in and drop Hale , let Ruff ruck when BB needs a break , leaving Shoey at FF and Gunna at CHF .....
Normally love your posts HBD, but if memory serves me correctly, didn't we try this one-ruck approach earlier this year and it failed? Maybe my memory is tricking me?

On Schoey, the one thing that has surprised me is that he's shanked a couple of his set shots in the last few outings he's had. For such a great field kick i'm now a little nervous when he's shooting for goal. Anyone else?

That said, I still want him in.

Normally love your posts HBD, but if memory serves me correctly, didn't we try this one-ruck approach earlier this year and it failed? Maybe my memory is tricking me?

On Schoey, the one thing that has surprised me is that he's shanked a couple of his set shots in the last few outings he's had. For such a great field kick i'm now a little nervous when he's shooting for goal. Anyone else?

We tried it against port different beast to freo

If shoey could start holding onto those marks he'd be an absolute handful - he gets two hands to so many contests (something rough has never managed to do). With his kicking he only needs to stick a handful and there's 4-5 goals. Not sure we'll see it this year (hopefully we will) but a real breakout game can't be too far off.

Liam Shiels was on the radio and talked about this. Its not just that he is taking contested marks. Its that he is never out-marked in a contest. Either he grabs it, or knocks it to the ground where our small players can mop up.

He very rarely gets outright beaten.

Maybe the trick is dropping Hartung now that Smith is fully fit, Suckling goes Sub, Schoey is in the team. Also means Doc plays the full game.

Or possibly Doc is sub with Suckling in the team.

Dropping Lake would be a massively bold move. Then he comes back for West Coast the following week.

Liam Shiels was on the radio and talked about this. Its not just that he is taking contested marks. Its that he is never out-marked in a contest. Either he grabs it, or knocks it to the ground where our small players can mop up.

Maybe the trick is dropping Hartung now that Smith is fully fit, Suckling goes Sub, Schoey is in the team. Also means Doc plays the full game.

Dropping Lake would be a massively bold move. Then he comes back for West Coast the following week.

Yeah we are assuming that Schoey will be losing points (figuratively speaking) by not taking the marks but maybe he is doing exactly what is required of him.

Your changes are what I suggested earlier, the scenario with Doc as the sub. Harsh on Hartung but I've no doubt he will have plenty more finals ahead of him.

Against Freo though, do we want to go in taller or smaller? That might also be a factor in whether Schoey is retained if Gunston is available.

For what its worth id leave Shoey in and drop Hale , let Ruff ruck when BB needs a break , leaving Shoey at FF and Gunna at CHF .....

Ordinarily this would be a good option, as Rough is not having a great impact up forward.

But against Sandilands, I feel Roughead would get slaughtered. Hale has a pretty good record at nullifying Sandilands.

The guy competes really well in the air and although they don't often stick he is still getting the ball to ground, he looks to have hard hands, because a few look like they are bouncing out of his hands, probably a confidence thing but if he keeps attacking them like that they will start sticking, as mentioned above, he is a beautiful kick so he is a legitimate weapon if the marks can start coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roughy almost didn't get out marked all last year and this meant there was always pressure on the defence. Shoey can play that role for us (maybe not as well). I think Lake has more of a role to play this week against freo who will bomb the ball in under pressure than WC who seem better equipped to target the leading player. Picking the sub will be tough. I like Duryea on the field to start with as it makes us more flexible to play Hodge midfield and up forward earlier in the match. The selection gamble on Shoey over lack will be a brave move but it might be a wining one as Lake has no match up against WC and maybe no match up against Freo depending on how they structure up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought his hands were just so clean, pressure was great again and is getting better with every game. He really does have a great kick and just feel our forward line functions so much better with him in it. I love gunners to death but am worried about form and fitness after 2 weeks out injured and not being able to train. Really would prefer to see shoey in next week. Guess clarko knows best tho, we'll see in a week what happens.

He's kicked like 12.2 for the year, he's still reliable.

I don't mind the Schoenmakers in for Hale approach, particularly since we're going to get beat in the ruck anyway. It's an idea.

He's kicked like 12.2 for the year, he's still reliable.

I don't mind the Schoenmakers in for Hale approach, particularly since we're going to get beat in the ruck anyway. It's an idea.
Am feeling a little more confident than I was when I wrote that. But the 12.2 doesn't capture a couple that he'd sprayed entirely when I posted it.

Will be interesting at selection, that's for sure.

My man the Schoe! Always believed in him, last two weeks he's halved every single contest he's been in if he didn't win it, Gunners is a star but he'd be a massive risk to take in. We have to learn from Hodge in 2012 and Cyril last year (yes some great pressure moments, but could have been nasty if we weren't thrashing Sydney). Will still back whatever Clarko decides though.

Great performance by Schoey last night. Loved it. He provides a lot up forward, structurally.

Realistically Gunston will be picked if he is fit, but I'd love to see Schoe play next week. I think it really helps motivate the whole side when you have a few in there playing for their first flag. You could see how much it meant to a lot of them to see Suckers get a medal last year so the more premiership virgins in the side, the better in some respects.

Schoe, Chips and Billy seem like the 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread Ryan Schoenmakers - is now a premiership winning forward and has a 2 year contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Back