Ryder/Bellchambers #2 Ruck Duo in AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

LMFAO Petrie had 55 hitouts in 23 games
yet Daz has Goldstein and Petrie as the 2nd best ruck pair in the AFL!

He's the best forward in that group. The setup of Goldy playing 90-95% of the game works well.

I clearly said if we're just talking about the time in the ruck then the Essendon duo are the 2nd best. Although that depends if Freo consider Griffin to be in their best 22 with Sandilands.

Reckon between Luengerngae Martin and Longer Brisbane will have one of the stronger divisions in the comp in coming years

It will be interesting to see how Leuenberger and Longer coexist in the future. Personally I think taking Longer that high in the draft was a shocking call. Particularly when you see what happened with Grundy in the most recent draft.

It will be interesting to see how Leuenberger and Longer coexist in the future. Personally I think taking Longer that high in the draft was a shocking call. Particularly when you see what happened with Grundy in the most recent draft.

Yes and no, if Leun gets struck with the dreaded Beau McDonald curse from last decade, Longer could be a masterstroke.

I would prefer to see Leun on the field more often then not, but sometimes things dont work out as well as you'd hope, and thats where Longer will fill the gaps. Hes also a more solid type rather then beanstalk type.

Essendon have two players in Bellchambers and Ryder who play their best footy in the ruck. They're OK forward, but not great. It is a suboptimal setup.

Yes and no, if Leun gets struck with the dreaded Beau McDonald curse from last decade, Longer could be a masterstroke.

I would prefer to see Leun on the field more often then not, but sometimes things dont work out as well as you'd hope, and thats where Longer will fill the gaps. Hes also a more solid type rather then beanstalk type.

I'm not trying to have a crack here but you don't use pick 8 on a backup.

If Leuns luck maintains the path its been going, its likely Longer wont be a backup.

We may also be developing him more for the role of a forward...

But its also like what happened last year. Everyone laughed at us for picking up Hudson. If we didnt, Longer wouldnt have survived all 22 rounds rucking by himself as a young kid, and we wernt going to throw Brown in the ruck, he's likely to kill someone.

Mitch Clark was pick #9 and would be the back-up ruckman if he was still there.

Jacobs/Jenkins
Leuenberger/Martin
Kreuzer/Hampson
Jolly/Lynch
Bellchambers/Ryder (4)
Sandilands/Clarke
McIntosh/West
Smith/Dixon
Giles/O'Hailpin
Hale/Roughead
Jamar/Pedersen
Goldstein/Petrie (2)
Lobbe/Redden
Maric/Vickery
McEvoy/Hickey
Mumford/Tippett (3)
Cox/Naitanui (1)
Minson/Cordy

Vickery was pick 8, Ryder pick 7, Kruezer pick 1, McEvoy 9, Roughead 2... Not many high draft picks among the top ruckmen in the AFL.

He's the best forward in that group. The setup of Goldy playing 90-95% of the game works well.

I clearly said if we're just talking about the time in the ruck then the Essendon duo are the 2nd best. Although that depends if Freo consider Griffin to be in their best 22 with Sandilands.

Sandi & Griffin are the second best rucking only duo, they just never play in the same team. :(

Cox/NN have set the bar for quality and versatility.

If you look at Saturday's game for example Griffin played very well as Freo's #1. We all know how dominant Sandilands is in the centre, but a Sandilands/Griffin or Sandilands/Clarke combination isn't that great, because Sandilands typically rucks 2/3 - 3/4 of the game and Griffin/Clarke (and Sandilands for that matter) don't add that much up forward nor play a dramatically different role in the centre. When Sandilands is fit we'll probably see Griffin back at East Fremantle, and Clarke playing mainly forward where I think is serviceable but not fantastic.

Hale/Roughead on the other hand are a different beast. Hale is a good but not great ruckman and is more than capable playing forward. Roughead is a genuine key forward and an ordinary tap ruckman, but strong and useful around the ground. Hawthorn have the option of playing Hale as a clear #1 and looking to halve the contests against the better #1s around, and they also have the option of playing the duo as a tag team and running the opposition bloke around. Whoever isn't rucking is more than a handful up forward, or in Roughead's case can play as a key defender also.

The modern ruck duo needs the #1 to be a bowler #2 to be a batting all-rounder, IMO. In our case we're freakishly lucky to have 2 guys good enough to be the #1 that are both useful elsewhere, but I think clubs will follow the blueprint. Collingwood signed Lynch to play forward and back-up Jolly, and they'll be better for his role compared to playing a 2nd ruck outright.

Vickery was pick 8, Ryder pick 7, Kruezer pick 1, McEvoy 9, Roughead 2... Not many high draft picks among the top ruckmen in the AFL.

Leuns also a Pick 4.

If not who is?

Not going to take Pyke/Mummy since they have barely played together.
Wait and see how Kreuzer and Hampson or Warnock goes. If Warnock is our number two, then they're a better ruck pairing based on Rob's tapwork. RW looks set to benefit from the new rules that favour rucks who don't wrestle like Jolly, Primus and Madden. Knockers beat Jacobs before he was subbed out to give us a more mobile side. Bettered Ryder and Bellchambers in the finals with Setanta backing him up.

Kreuzer is jumping again after he was restricted by injury last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dumb thread.

Ryder is good and can be very good on his day but doesnt have the consistency to be considered in the top half of ruckman in the game. Goes missing far too often and actually struggles with a two ruck setup, as he plays his best footy when he is asked to ruck all game.
Bellchambers has been a bit part ruckman for his career thus far, most of the time as no 3 behind Hille and Ryder. And while he i
has probably overtake Hille for the 2nd ruck role he has done nothing to suggest that he is one of the better ruckman in the game.
Not saying he isnt good or can be very good, he just doesnt have the runs on the board.

Bellchambers is okay, but Paddy Ryder has to be one of the most frustrating players in the league. It's all or nothing with him and he either plays a blinder or is hardly sighted. He shouldn't be rated, and therefore they shouldn't be rated as a duo, until he strings together a couple of seasons of consistent high quality footy with little to no fade out games.

Not at the moment.

Ryder and Hille were when they played together, but Ryder and Bellchambers don't have enough history as yet. At the moment they don't work as well together as you would hope they would. Our coaches don't seem to have a set pattern but instead play them differently depending who they're up against.

McEvoy/Hickey will be an awesome partnership for years to come.

Yeah I'm not sure about that. Usually the best combinations are when they complement each other as opposed to being very similar. In the case of these two, I see them as being very similar ruckmen and hence whilst strong, won't be dominant.

I do rate Hickey though.

Perhaps they are.

The one thing that cannot be argued is at their respective ages, they'll be the ruck combination at Essendon for the next 10 years, so I can't see the club complaining too much about that.

Maybe. History isn't exactly littered with 10 year ruck partnerships however. History says injury and the hunt for the number one ruck spot culls most partnerships.

And hence why Paul Roos's strategy was to look to pick up a ruckman who had been developing on someone's list for 4 or so years. He was happy to give away a 2nd round pick for a developed ruckman rather than waste an early pick on a player who would not provide any / very little return for 4 - 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryder/Bellchambers #2 Ruck Duo in AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back