Roast Sack Horse

Sack Longmire tomorrow?

• yes

Votes: 67 63.2%
  • monday

Votes: 39 36.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

All well and good wanting to bring in a coach to get us that extra step further, but who even is that and what does it look like? The thoughts of what could happen under a different coach scares me more than sticking fat.

After years in the doldrums Man United finally got a coach in Ole who took them back up to 2nd two years running. It wasn't good enough because fans thought he wasn't capable of finishing the job - they basically drove him out of the club and look at the state of them now.

This is horses race until this team can race no more. All it takes is one grand final in a matchup that suits us, and all the pain would be worth it. I'm still convinced we would've smashed Geelong, wanted to avoid brisbane like the plague unlike some here. I think footy is as simple as that at times..

We haven’t won a flag in 12 years. A period in which we had a generational talent in Franklin for 10 of those.

Next year, as history shows is hard for a team belted in a Grand Final to make it back.

In ‘23 we scraped into the 8 after a no show in ‘22 decider. We’ve been bundled out of the finals series following a grand final without making it back.

So then you a pinning your hopes on 26? Years with a 6 aren’t our friend (96, 06 and 16).

It’s great that we make grand finals as it gives you hope. Just unfortunate that we choke, play injured players and are out coached by the opposition.

My guess is that Horse retires this week or next.

I'm only guessing, and it's based purely on his post game interview and the look on his face as the game was running down to the inevitable failure in that final quarter and on field during the post game, but he looked broken, he looked like he didn't have it in him to do this anymore.
One can only hope

Who is better out there than him though?

I have heard it’s his way or the highway at times

Is cox the right replacement as he has been there a while?

Be getting assistance from other clubs with different views like we did a few years back in pyke

John won’t step aside or be sacked so we look for other ideas outside of the club

Last edited:

My understanding is Amon Buchanan is forwards coach, and Jarrad M is defence coach

Now the season is over, Mark Mc will be working with KB and JG on the draft.
I thought Benny Mathews was defence coach?

Don't think Amon has been back for long, so he can stay.

Be nice if the club had up to date info so we can plot their overthrow more accurately.

Most of our boys were waiting outside for a handball receive so they could take a bounce and kick a goal and wave to the crowd .

Lions players were all actively looking for body contact early in the game.

The fact Horse is saying we "lacked run" early is pretty worrying.

The boys all wanted to run with the ball. They just didn't want to have to win it in a contest.

I remember when Daniher ran down Gulden in the centre square. Laid a hard tackle. Drove him into the dirt. Then rubbed his face in the dirt afterwards when he stood up with his full weight. Was a bit dirty. Not dangerous.

That was just the difference in attitude.

Last edited:
Horse should have had these guys ready to go. He knows we have a reputation as being soft and soft under bellies. The message should have been sent out all week. I don’t care if it’s a free kick against us, before the first siren you put someone on their ass. After the siren you keep putting them on their asses until they don’t want to get up .

But no as per usual , just like in every aspect of this club we want to be the good guys and just bow down and accept what we get given in typical limp wristed fashion

All well and good wanting to bring in a coach to get us that extra step further, but who even is that and what does it look like? The thoughts of what could happen under a different coach scares me more than sticking fat.

After years in the doldrums Man United finally got a coach in Ole who took them back up to 2nd two years running. It wasn't good enough because fans thought he wasn't capable of finishing the job - they basically drove him out of the club and look at the state of them now.

This is horses race until this team can race no more. All it takes is one grand final in a matchup that suits us, and all the pain would be worth it. I'm still convinced we would've smashed Geelong, wanted to avoid brisbane like the plague unlike some here. I think footy is as simple as that at times..
The way we played we would of lost to most teams in the comp tbh. We had no pressure.

You say a grand final match up that suits us. What match up? We lost against Hawthorn by a massive margin with arguably a better team than the team we won with 2 years prior, then we lose against bulldogs after dodging Giants who smashed us everytime that year, the we lost against Geelong, even though we had a tough game to warm us up, with a great run of wins, and then we lose to Brisbane who were banged up and looked average against their last 2 opponents in first halves.

And we don't just lose, we get slaughtered.

And for every change in coach that causes failure, there's a change that causes success. For me personally, I think it's time to roll the dice, because Longmire has consistently fallen WELL short of the mark in the final game.

To sum it up, I don't think there's any team we can beat in a grandfinal.

Rampe has been on of the great leaders of this club time and time again and he looked lost on the weekend , but prior to saturday did you expect him to be a lost boy out there? I didn't
On Friday when he made his comments about not caring about each other's stories, I thought he was already losing his composure.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same with best of 3 nonsense - shows no faith you can win the big one.

They should ask for more games at the Mcg if anything or at least spread through the year

Horse should have had these guys ready to go. He knows we have a reputation as being soft and soft under bellies. The message should have been sent out all week. I don’t care if it’s a free kick against us, before the first siren you put someone on their ass. After the siren you keep putting them on their asses until they don’t want to get up .

But no as per usual , just like in every aspect of this club we want to be the good guys and just bow down and accept what we get given in typical limp wristed fashion
Spot on.

We are easy to coach against. You just need to review the tapes of our losses.

You don't need to be some tactical genius.

1. Shut down Warner, Heeney and Gulden..don't worry about anyone else. Just these three.
2..Assign one negative bloke to each of the above three. Look what Dunkley did. Didn't try and get kicks. 12 tackles and way more hard nut stuff he didn't get a stat for.
3. Put physical pressure on early and watch us give up.

That's all. Not rocket science.

Last edited:
If I remove the years you can barely tell which loss press conference these quotes are from

xx

“I didn’t think we gave ourselves much of a chance,” Longmire said last night. “I didn’t think we applied the sort of pressure that we had hoped to apply early, and we just couldn’t get it back.”
“We have played some reasonable football to this point, but we didn’t do it (in the Grand Final).
“We let ourselves down today and we will need to get it back on track.
“We will come to work when the players have had their break, and we will roll the sleeves up, and we will go again.”

xx

"We came up against a very, very good team," Longmire said on Saturday night.
"From our perspective we probably needed to work a little bit harder, a little bit more consistently over the four quarters. I think we weren't quite
We will work hard to go again

xx

No aspect of the game looked like the way we wanted to play and we hardly got anything right, from the selection of Sam to the way the game looked, we just didn't get it right," Longmire said.
"Normally we give our supporters what I think is pretty good value for money, and physically, mentally we just didn't give ourselves a chance to do that.
"That'll come in time I guess, but it'll take a bit of time to get over.
"I'm confident in that playing group, they're a really good group

xx

I don’t think we used our run enough from the start. We blasted away a bit too much,”
“Then we were beaten at ground level and they were able to get it back, go back through us a bit too easy.
“We didn’t put enough pressure on around the ball.”

“Ultimately, we’ve been able to get ourselves in the position where we’ve had an opportunity and we haven’t got it done today. We didn’t pass the test.
“We have a group of people, right across the footy club, who are able to do that. It’s very hard to win it if you’re not in it.”

Most of our boys were waiting outside for a handball receive so they could take a bounce and kick a goal and wave to the crowd l.

Lions players were all actively looking for body contact early in the game.

The fact Horse is saying we "lacked run" early is pretty worrying.

The boys all wanted to run with the ball. They just didn't want to have to win it in a contest.

I remember when Daniher ran down Gulden in the centre square. Laid a hard tackle. Drove him into the dirt. Then rubbed his face in the dirt afterwards when he stood up with his full weight. Was a bit dirty. Not dangerous.

That was just the difference in attitude.
The thing that really annoys me about this is that we should have learned this lesson in 2014 when the Hawks came out and battered us. Yet a decade on and Horse's team still goes into a grand final thinking they're going to play bruise free flashy footy.

If Horse is still coach next year, his over-riding aim should be for every player in the side to go hard at the footy. Hard at the contest and hard at their man. If they can't do that, then they have no business being in a grand final because that's how a grand final is won.

If I remove the years you can barely tell which loss press conference these quotes are from

xx

“I didn’t think we gave ourselves much of a chance,” Longmire said last night. “I didn’t think we applied the sort of pressure that we had hoped to apply early, and we just couldn’t get it back.”
“We have played some reasonable football to this point, but we didn’t do it (in the Grand Final).
“We let ourselves down today and we will need to get it back on track.
“We will come to work when the players have had their break, and we will roll the sleeves up, and we will go again.”

xx

"We came up against a very, very good team," Longmire said on Saturday night.
"From our perspective we probably needed to work a little bit harder, a little bit more consistently over the four quarters. I think we weren't quite
We will work hard to go again
Starting to sound like Hinkley lol, who is widely panned on this site. Oh boy

I was all for cox taking over but the only coaching he has known is under John.

I’d be much more comfortable raiding an assistant from a successful program like Geelong . At least get a fresh perception . I just feel like cox will be an extension of John’s coaching style
I’m sure he was an assistant at West Coast before he joined us. Plus, like all players who become coaches, they are shaped by the coaches they played under. I’m not sure if he is the right choice, but I think he will be different to Horse

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Sack Horse

Back