Saints & Magpies fans - has your respect for the other team changed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Before the game had started I was telling my mate at the ground that Goddard, if let loose he will do damage.

So what does he do? Rips us apart. He is one of the best kicks in the competition.

Watch out Pies, Don't let him do it again. Also I think he will be Norm Smith medalist if he does it again.

Some things were confirmed for me:
Hayes & Goddard - superstars.
Thomas - G&D and finals performer.
Milne - "footy cheat".
Davis - finals spud.
Maxwell - LEADER!

As for respect for St. Kilda, I was crapping myself all week and all second half. Always respected them as opponents. Nothing changed on saturady. Always knew it was going to be an epic battle. Round 2 will be the same. Toss a coin.

I hate the Pies, but I certainly respect them - they're a quality team on the field and their magnitude of fans is incredible. My opinion didn't change after or because of yesterday.

I grew up in Bonbeach so I spent all of my primary school years surrounded by Saints fans, I guess that's where my dislike of them stemmed from.

When Goddard kicked what I thought was the winning goal, I was devastated, I slumped back in my chair and put my head in my hands. Saints fans in the adjacent bay were ecstatic, jumping around and hugging each other.

A few minutes later, and Travis Cloke kicked what I again thought would be the winning goal and I was ecstatic, I jumped up and down, turned and hugged the strangers behind me, and in the midst of my euphoria, I caught a look at the saints fans in the next bay who were all slumped in their chairs, head in hands. Having just experienced that exact feeling moments earlier, I felt a strange fleeting moment of solidarity with them. I understood.

When the siren went I was numb, everyone was. I stood and clapped when Lenny Hayes was awarded the medal, and then I clapped my team off the ground. I really hope we win next week, I want it even more now if that's even possible, but I will feel for the saints if they lose, and I didn't think I'd ever say that.

Awesome thread!
I've had a lot of respect for this St Kilda team for the last few years.
Saturday's match just highlighted how good Hayes and Goddard are. And I certainly can't begrudge their supporters for wanting to their side win a flag!

So my respect for their classy players has only been boosted. However I still can't help but feel a little tribalism around the whole Luke Ball issue and an intense dislike for Milne and Montagna. I guess I should just get over that court case...

But an intense LIKE for Hayes, Goddard and Gwilt.

Before yesterday the thought of St Kilda beating us to the flag made me feel sick to the stomach.

Now I wouldn't begrudge them.

The team was fantanstic in coming back over a long period of the game, when any lesser team would have given up.

Between the fans it was a feeling of similarity, nobody really knew how to feel. This probably led to growing respect and I didn't notice any incidents outside the G or during the many hours of post game drinking.

Still desperately want the premiership though.

Yep, to the point of it being just cruel that one team wont get premiership medalions or a cup next week:thumbsdown:

to their normal supporters yes as I know what they are feeling like, but for the ones that give collingwood a bad name i will not give them respect. As for the club my repect changed just by them making the granny. im prepared to admit that i thought they will be the team that dropped out of the four and even the 8, and they proved my wrong. maxwell i already had some respect for as a captain and his onfield but not his offfield stuff. what he did in the granny and that mark, made me have real respect for now. so i guess i can say yes and no.

Awesome thread!
I've had a lot of respect for this St Kilda team for the last few years.
Saturday's match just highlighted how good Hayes and Goddard are. And I certainly can't begrudge their supporters for wanting to their side win a flag!

So my respect for their classy players has only been boosted. However I still can't help but feel a little tribalism around the whole Luke Ball issue and an intense dislike for Milne and Montagna. I guess I should just get over that court case...

But an intense LIKE for Hayes, Goddard and Gwilt.

There has been no court case and if there ever is Joey won't be involved!
Sanctimonious this!

To me a game of two halfs. Pies won the first and Saints the second. Nothing is in the bag till it's won. But the saints were in the box seat when it mattered. And then we took it awy from them. In a twisted way with talk of extra time, a replay seems fitting and honourable to decide this premiership. Yes my respect has gone up for the saints.

I was in the AFL members and when the pies hit the front after Cloke scored the goal in the final qaurter, a saints fan got up and almost teary picked up his bag to walk out. I could hear him say, with some affinity on my part, " i cant watch another one go". As he walked past me I wanted to say "dont go it's not over yet anyone can win". But I couldn't. I thought we were still going to win and my connection to his feeling meant he would have to endure the experience he did not want to see. So I just watched himm walk down the stairs. I hope he managed to watch the end at some other part of the stadium.

I think i need to vomit.

Your fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers spent their time hurling abuse, beating the shit out of each other in the stands and on the field, and generally hating each other.

And u want to undo all that good work coz of one single game ?

Soft as butter and unnatural...wtf has happened to people.

Dont go soft on us now just because you;re a little emotionally drained :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously...you've got one week to go.
Imagine if the players felt this way ?

Can u imagine Hayes saying "oh well geez i'm f'ked...that swannie is kinda ok too i like the guy ...wouldnt mind so bad if they won the flag"

Here's you playing for the pies..."christ that baker is a tough nut...yanno they probably deserve a flag"

As a neutral i feel a little blessed there's another week to the season...i dont want this spoilt by mamby pambies consoling each other...i want the real stuff this week.

Eddie Maguire has the right idea...dont let it go. Get evil and WIN.

Dont make me come down there and do the hating for you...god knows ive got plenty to spare :thumbsu:

Can u imagine Hayes saying "oh well geez i'm f'ked...that swannie is kinda ok too i like the guy ...wouldnt mind so bad if they won the flag"

Here's you playing for the pies..."christ that baker is a tough nut...yanno they probably deserve a flag"

As a neutral i feel a little blessed there's another week to the season...i dont want this spoilt by mamby pambies consoling each other...i want the real stuff this week.

Dont make me come down there and do the hating for you...god knows ive got plenty to spare :thumbsu:

Big difference between respect and handing the other team a premiership.

I don't like St Kilda and Collingwood that much, but I respect that they went out there and damn near killed each for my enjoyment for four quarters for the biggest prize there is for them. That's respect.

Considering we lost like 4 or 5 in a row to the Saints, generally fairly badly, before finally beating them at the end of this year, I think we couldn't help but already respect them somewhat :p

Before the prelim I was one of the people saying that Collingwood and Geelong should have been the GF. Turns out I, and many others, were wrong. Saints proved it out there on Saturday. It was a great, tough game, and I'm proud that my team was part of it.

I guess my respect for the club has grown, and it also unites us slightly, as supporters from both sides will now have something in common that few others (apart from those who witnessed the 77 GF) have experienced. A drawn grand final.

There's two trains of thought running in my mind now.

1. I really don't want to lose next week. No one wants to be remembered as the team that drew the grand final and then lost the next week (especially not Collingwood, again :p).

2. Whoever wins next week has earnt it. It's already been a spectacle and you can't say that both clubs haven't already done something to make their supporters proud. Both fought hard for the win on Saturday - so hard that neither one could manage it. I want it to be us, but if it is the Saints... then maybe that's okay.

The first thought is dominating the second one though :p

The whole grand final week it was hard to troll st.kilda on here because, we are the 2 best sides in the comp this year, my respect has come back for them even more now, whoever wins this week i dont think we would give eachother shit on here just the usual trolls who supporter shit clubs ie carlton.

Always respected the team, I'm sure most supporters of both clubs did, sh*t talking aside.
But in a way, we both know exactly how the other is feeling after yesterday, which is different than any other GF in my lifetime.

I respect all opposition on any given day, but if the question was do I begrudge St.Kilda I'd definitely say not. I like seeing St.Kilda going well, I can't say the same for the likes of Carlton, Essendon, Adelaide and Richmond. Collingwood and St.Kilda supporters will now have something to share and undoubtably feel more compassion for the other.

Severe comprehension fail on display right here :thumbsu:

A combined wait for a premiership of 64 years - the effort they all put it - the heart attack that was that last quarter - a shared experience for all the fans. Yes I have enhanced respect for them all.

Now all that is needed if for the saints to be waiting for another year & I will have even more respect & sympathy for them, Go Pies.......

Before yesterday the thought of St Kilda beating us to the flag made me feel sick to the stomach.

Now I wouldn't begrudge them.

The team was fantanstic in coming back over a long period of the game, when any lesser team would have given up.

Between the fans it was a feeling of similarity, nobody really knew how to feel. This probably led to growing respect and I didn't notice any incidents outside the G or during the many hours of post game drinking.

Still desperately want the premiership though.

same for me regarding the pies...I couldn't stand the thought of losing to collingwood...

But, their players really lifted in the last few minutes, showed real character. thomas was great and maxwell was huge in the last few minutes....and both sets of supporters gave their all for their clubs...

we shared a moment:eek:

2. Whoever wins next week has earnt it. It's already been a spectacle and you can't say that both clubs haven't already done something to make their supporters proud. P

That's the key.....and I hope everyone remembers it.

I want Saints to win next week but in many ways, I won't feel so bad if it is to be the Pies. 2 teams nearly killed each other on Saturday and neither group of supporters should feel anything but pride in the way their club performed.

I was in an area that was a mix of Pies and Saints supporters. At the end of the game there was much hand shaking and good wishes.

Not seen more mutual respect between two groups of supporters before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints & Magpies fans - has your respect for the other team changed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back