Saints & Magpies fans - has your respect for the other team changed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Regardless of what I think of St.Kilda and their players, it won't affect anything. There's only one thing I can say for certain.

Collingwood and St.Kilda have now created the second true modern day football rivalry.

I think i need to vomit.

Your fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers spent their time hurling abuse, beating the shit out of each other in the stands and on the field, and generally hating each other.

And u want to undo all that good work coz of one single game ?

Soft as butter and unnatural...wtf has happened to people.

Dont go soft on us now just because you;re a little emotionally drained :D

And those same fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers had a beer or two together after a game and showed respect to one another.

I dislike typing it but yes.

I have never rated Nick Maxwell up until a few days ago. To me he came across as a cliched-driven bogan who's ability on the football field did not match his tough statements and words.

He still is not a talented player however he has balls. Drive and guts certainly do assist so kudos.

I like most everywhere thought Dale Thomas was a joke. However on Saturday he provided great run from half-back and used the ball very well. His run is actually more important than O'Brien's as Dale Thomas is an above average kick of the football. He played very well and its shut me up for good.

And those same fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers had a beer or two together after a game and showed respect to one another.
Did they meet up BEFORE the game and slap each other on the back saying "hope u win the flag mate".."respect".."geez i really respect you blokes" ?
You havent even played the grannie yet...not the one that matters now anyway.
Its a big game and u blokes sound like you're all resigned to whatever happens happens.
What has changed from this time last week ? Just a bit of emotional drainage ? Same game to be won.
No wonder replays often end up blowouts...imagine if your list wanted to show them respect BEFORE the game.

Fire up son !...this is sickening stuff to see :D

Before the game I hated the Saints. I thought they were the biggest bunch of shit blokes ever encountered in the AFL. Bar maybe Lenny Hayes.

If Milne gets hit by a bus or kneecapped before Saturday I don't have as much of an issue losing the flag to the Saints as I did a week ago. Just ensure Milne doesn't get a medal. I still want to masscare them in the replay though.

Did they meet up BEFORE the game and slap each other on the back saying "hope u win the flag mate".."respect".."geez i really respect you blokes" ?
You havent even played the grannie yet...not the one that matters now anyway.
Its a big game and u blokes sound like you're all resigned to whatever happens happens.
What has changed from this time last week ? Just a bit of emotional drainage ? Same game to be won.
No wonder replays often end up blowouts...imagine if your list wanted to show them respect BEFORE the game.

Fire up son !...this is sickening stuff to see :D

Errrrr......we aren't the ones playing the game Bollox!

I don't think the players from the two clubs are sitting around talking about our much respect they have for each other!

It was a remarkable game of football and I have enormous respect for the 44 players who took part and as a supporter I think I'll always hold some sort of affinity for the supporters who lived through the events of saturday afternoon.

Errr ...yeah ? really ?

You do realise this is tearing at the very fabric of the game dont you ?

Imagine if it was a draw between Coll and Carlton on Saturday..."yeah i've got a whole new respect for Collingwood" pffttt sure.

You two may not have been as big footy rivals but u could always rely on a bruising game and u two clubs always hated each other.

I dont like any change...certainly cant handle seeing generations of perfectly good hatred being thrown out the window coz of one draw.

It just aint right. I cant handle this lovefest :D

In 2 weeks time you'll be at each other again with one gloating anyway...dont do this :D:thumbsu:

My hatred for the Saints has been tempered somewhat in the shared moment of emptiness and emotional draining of the drawn GF. During the whole Luke Ball fiasco I saw the Saints fans as deluded, arrogant and mean and saw their team and coach the same way, I ended up banned from the Saints board.

I now have what I would call a healthy respect for the team, and by extension the fans and the way they've responded. The trolling of each other both on the net and irl is pretty much over and has become the equivalent of a quiet nod on eye contact. No words of friendship but an understanding of common ground and respect for a worthy foe. Only neutrals seem to be intent on stirring the pot and neither side seems inclined to bite.

I can't wish the Saints good luck for this Saturday, but if I could I would.

Errr ...yeah ? really ?

You do realise this is tearing at the very fabric of the game dont you ?

Imagine if it was a draw between Coll and Carlton on Saturday..."yeah i've got a whole new respect for Collingwood" pffttt sure.

You two may not have been as big footy rivals but u could always rely on a bruising game and u two clubs always hated each other.

I dont like any change...certainly cant handle seeing generations of perfectly good hatred being thrown out the window coz of one draw.

It just aint right. I cant handle this lovefest :D

In 2 weeks time you'll be at each other again with one gloating anyway...dont do this :D:thumbsu:

I don't think the hatred will ever be gone and you don't have to tell me about the rivalry between the two sets of supporters on bigfooty!

I just know that after living through the bizarre experience of a drawn grand final it's something that our clubs will always have in common.

And with that comes a degree of respect for both the players and the supporters.

I really hate Collingwood....

....but after the shock of the final siren had sounded, and my drunken WTF midset had subsided, I've also got to add to this mutual love-in.

Only St.Kilda and Collingwood fans who rode every second of that match will understand it, and whatever happens next week, I guess we'll always have GF2010 round 1.

If there was ever a AFL match where all players from both teams swapped jumpers at the end - surely this was it.

Lenny Hayes - take a bow son. Goddard = Immense.
Daisy Thomas - get a haircut, but you have my respect.

Ive been involved in a bit of banter during the week between saints fans that i know, nothing serious but you know as mates do, i did however tell myself that if the pies did win i wouldnt be arrogant and get stuck into them about it just due to the fact that at my age 24 (cant remember 1990) i have never seen collingwood win a grand final and like them they have never seen st kilda win but have had to suffer a couple of losses, knowing how much those losses hurt, the pain, and then having someone throw it in your face.... I wasnt going to do anything like that!

Respect of course, but i still want to be the one celebrating next saturday night!

Floreat Pica!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before yesterday the thought of St Kilda beating us to the flag made me feel sick to the stomach.

Now I wouldn't begrudge them.

The team was fantanstic in coming back over a long period of the game, when any lesser team would have given up.

Between the fans it was a feeling of similarity, nobody really knew how to feel. This probably led to growing respect and I didn't notice any incidents outside the G or during the many hours of post game drinking.

Still desperately want the premiership though.
Well said, me in a mirror basically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints & Magpies fans - has your respect for the other team changed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back