Delisted Sam Blease

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Sam Blease

Moving this to the change rooms thread.

We are really trying to get player focused discussion on that board so feel free to continue discussing it there.

Re: 46. Sam Blease

SO blease is eligilble like Butcher for the Rising Star next year?

Didn't see all of the game, but he deserves it over Butcher

Can he dispose of the ball on both sides of his feet?

SO blease is eligilble like Butcher for the Rising Star next year?

Didn't see all of the game, but he deserves it over Butcher

Can he dispose of the ball on both sides of his feet?

His disposal on both sides is probably one of his best traits.

Blease and Butcher would have to be by far the two favourites for next year.

His disposal on both sides is probably one of his best traits.

Blease and Butcher would have to be by far the two favourites for next year.

Not that im the one who should be commenting on Blease probably, but i reckon you will find he struggles a little bit more next year, teams will work out pretty quickly that for all his attack atm you can still get him going the other way, as he is not defensively up to afl standard yet, teams will exploit him going the other way and it will take him a year or 2 at this level to work out the right balance

He's still lacking match fitness, apparently. That's why he was struggling late against Richmond and in terms of going the other way.

Watch how good he'll be next year if he gets a full pre-season in.

He's still lacking match fitness, apparently. That's why he was struggling late against Richmond and in terms of going the other way.

Watch how good he'll be next year if he gets a full pre-season in.
Yes he will be great at attacking, but he is still not AFL ready to be a defender, he will get exploited heavily next year if he plays all year as a backman, just like Tapscott was exploited a few times this year, its a learning curve for the kid, im sure their will come a time his direct opponent sucks out the back and kicks a few on him, and he will become more conscius about defence and lose some of his attacking edge for a while... thats footy

Thinking next year we have a chant for him.

Like Brrruuuuuest. Bleeeeeeeeaaase. Or Bleast. Or just Beast.

Sam Blease's 2011 review:
Todd Viney said:
Bleasey was good. We finally got to see him play. He played a lot of games at VFL level, and he was in really good form early. He got a game in the AFL as a sub and then forced his way back into the team late in the year. He got a Rising Star nomination, so he’s really come along nicely in his consistency. Another really good pre-season will hold him in good stead.
http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/124584/default.aspx

Report: Round 14 vs Brisbane Lions

Code:
K  H  D  CP DE% M  CM T  CL FF FA I50 R50 G  B  GA SC DT
7  3  10 5  80  3  1  2  0  0  0  2   0   2  1  1  67 57
Rating: 6.5/10

Sam was the substitute today (insert collective groan here) after being a late inclusion after being named as an emergency (insert second collective groan here). When he did come on during the first quarter to replace the injured Tom McDonald he started with a bang, and his first goal, backing his pace and ability to beat his opponents, was classic Blease. His disposals were high-quality and mostly penetrating on a day where as a side we needed a lot more of it, and his second goal during junk time was a reward for it. Neeld stated somewhere that his endurance needs work as you could tell from his low disposal count, but when he had it, he did damage.

Except when, you know, he sprayed it out on the full. (Insert third collective groan here.)

sambb.jpg

MFC: Blease buys in and reaps rewards

EXCITING young speedster Sam Blease has conceded he didn’t “buy in” to the coaches’ plans early in the 2012 season, but attributes his promising second half of the season to adhering to the new regime.

Blease was one of the brightest stories from an otherwise disappointing season for Melbourne, playing 16 matches, including the last 15 rounds.

He said that, early in the year, he grappled with the change in coaching philosophies before he earned his way back into the senior side in round eight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MFC: Pre-season update: Sylvia to Blease

17. Sam Blease
Sam came back in really good shape. He’s been training well and has completed the majority of sessions. His speed and kicking have been a highlight throughout the pre-season.

Leigh Brown

MFC: Leg scars no longer an issue: Blease
It's incredible to think that Sam Blease will be entering his fifth AFL-listed season in 2013.

At best, it seems like three.

But given that he suffered a career threatening broken leg in his first season – after being drafted at No. 17 in the 2008 NAB AFL Draft – and did not make his AFL debut until round 15, 2011, it could be argued that 2013 is his ‘third’ AFL season.

MFC: Blease on the attack to play wing
“It was a good game for me, kicking five goals. It was a good little reward, because I’d been training well in the weeks leading up,” he said.

“I stamped myself as someone who wants to be part of the side and help the side to become good. It’s not about individual accolades, but it was good to bob up and kick five and help the side try to win, which we weren’t able to do, unfortunately.

“I’m not sure I’ll kick five every week, but if I can kick a couple or be consistently valuable to the side, then hopefully I can be effective on the wing and then hit up [forwards] Mitch Clark or Chris Dawes.”
Think we know that the midfield push is inevitable, and hopefully we see some more dash along it from Blease this season.

Blease came through my work yesterday, and I learnt two things.

1. He doesn't remember me from High School.
2. He wants dried bamboo sticks to sit in a vase.

And he had a nasty bruise on his right knee, but that looked superficial at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back