News Sam Hayes signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to at least hear Parker confess that we didn't really need a ruck. So at least he didn't go out hunting it. That makes me happy because if he was picked on needs I'd be worried. However we've obviously picked him because he waz too good to refuse so that's a great start......
FMD - we only have 3 rucks - 2 of them with zero AFL experience and he says we don't need a ruck ie can't see one or two go down and getting some insurance. We have a shit load of HBFers and what does he do? Recruit 3 more. How long is this guy going to be in charge for?

FMD - we only have 3 rucks - 2 of them with zero AFL experience and he says we don't need a ruck ie can't see one or two go down and getting some insurance. We have a shit load of HBFers and what does he do? Recruit 3 more. How long is this guy going to be in charge for?
Agree with most of that but I do agree with him that we don't need developing rucks. Having 2 already developing was enough, if we wanted back up a Lobbe replacement would've been the way to go. Last year our list balance for rucks was good IMO. This year I'd say it's a bit young, and Billy still has some big question marks over whether he could replace Ryder.

Hayes Inside Football profile

9/6/99 202.7cm 92.6kgs will need to be put on a red meat diet

"Sam is interesting because in five years time he could be the best ruckmen ever or some people think he might be on the scrapheap by then. His stats are extraordinary and he's got that much upside its not funny but he's just got to understand the requirements and actually put everything into place. Tap work is good, he's improving around the ground and he's just got to understand the game a bit more. Just a big kid and if he could get to a place where he has a good role model as a ruckman then that would really help him. Ability wise he's a first rounder but whether a club pulls the trigger on him that early is another thing." Eastern Rangers Darren Bewick.

Out of 5 5 elite 4.5 Excellent 4 Above average 3-3.5 Competent 2.5 Below average

Kicking 3.5, Marking 4, Accumulating 3.5, Contested Ball 4, Speed 3.5, Agility 3, Endurance 2.5 Draft Range 1st round

Can't think of two better role models than Ryder and Lade.

Parker isnt in charge of list management , he is in charge of recruiting. Other guys are responsible for list balance, not him.

Also, with his current record Parker is very welcome at port.

As for the ruck situation, if we load up on more than 3 rucks at reserves level we are stunting their development and the development of all of our seconds. Secondly while we may not have a lot of ready to go first rucks after Ryder we have probably the deepest list of decent to good second rucks going around.

Good to at least hear Parker confess that we didn't really need a ruck. So at least he didn't go out hunting it. That makes me happy because if he was picked on needs I'd be worried. However we've obviously picked him because he waz too good to refuse so that's a great start.

Positives: He's only a year behind Ladhams in the race to be our future #1 ruck. (Billy is a #2 ruck/fwd for mine). He's the sort of tall you want in a ruck and looks like he's got some really good tap work. And He can mark

Development concern: He's 3 deep in a ruck queue in the SANFL this year and likely to be playing as our #1 forward. Given that we've drafted in no support. That's going to be a tough gig.
Parker also said they didn’t put much work into the top 20 as they didn’t expect sliders from this group. Now just about everyone had Chicken going top 20. His aerobic capacity must have been the reason he slid. Second last in the 2k at Draft camp.

He was, however, top of my draft board when our first pick came but I also didn’t know much about him as I assumed he would be gone.

Parker also said they didn’t put much work into the top 20 as they didn’t expect sliders from this group. Now just about everyone had Chicken going top 20. His aerobic capacity must have been the reason he slid. Second last in the 2k at Draft camp.

He was, however, top of my draft board when our first pick came but I also didn’t know much about him as I assumed he would be gone.

Ruckmen. Teams just don't like drafting them and waiting years for them to develop , and other teams have rucks already ie max Gawn etc. also plenty of teams drafting before us have a lot of holes in their lists. Not many just added watts Motlop and Rockliff to their list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off topic but my mates and i wandered out the door of a club as it was closing one night and my mates utters that line under his breathe as a stunner walks out and a nearby pissed bloke who stumbled out of the club overheard him and mistaking the situation said can I come to the party. It was awkward as all hell. He was not invited and looked quite sad about it.

This kid will kill Billy Frampton imo

Even Parker wouldn't of seen this coming
Genuinely thought he would be crows bound at pick 12

Parker isnt in charge of list management , he is in charge of recruiting. Other guys are responsible for list balance, not him. Also, with his current record Parker is very welcome at port.

So all he does is punch numbers on draft night? He has a bigger say in our list management than that.

As for the ruck situation, if we load up on more than 3 rucks at reserves level we are stunting their development and the development of all of our seconds. Secondly while we may not have a lot of ready to go first rucks after Ryder we have probably the deepest list of decent to good second rucks going around.
What do you base that on?? The hope box? How many lists have you looked at and seen how much experience other sides have.

Look at West Coast they have an all Oz ruckman and great athlete in Nick Natanui a Ryder type and have gone for different types of back up in Vardy, Lycett, Giles and and they decide to go with extra back up with rookieing Petrie in 2017. And how did Vardy and Petrie go against Ryder in that final? The WCE have cut Giles and Petrie for 2018 and I dont know who they drafted but I would argue Vardy and Lycett and a no game kid are better and deeper back up than the no gamers of Frampton Ladhams and Hayes. Shit Freo took 2 tonight, thanks to comments by Macca19 tonight, to have 5 on their list.

And sounds like we were going to copy 2014 and 2016 and go in with just 3 rucks which turned out sub optimal with injuries and suspensions, if Hayes didn't slide big time.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Sam Hayes signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back