Toast Sam Menegola

Who should start in the centre bounce alongside Dangerwood?

• Menegola

Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Horlin-Smith

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Duncan

Votes: 29 29.9%
  • S. Selwood

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Cockatoo

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 4.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's amazing how we stagger to the finish line on equal top of the ladder (on points) and positioned for a flag tilt with all these incompetent boobs heading our club. :eek:
Triumph over adversity really. ;)

I completely agree re: Menegola EXCEPT those center bounce numbers are a little skewed, he's been first in as often as Dangerfield has started there.
But yes, seems a brilliant position for him, gets plenty of the ball (and gee he can use it well) and bobs up for plenty of goals.
Thought I'd address this here since it's about Sam. Not sure what you mean by skewed?

Easy to default to ladder position, you could throw that right now at anyone who put forward any opinion regarding the club that isn't positive as say - you're wrong, look, we finished second.

It's a great result for Geelong, especially considering our outs, no doubt.

We could be better though. I don't think we'll win the flag personally, so what's the response in October when the ladder doesn't mean dick? You happy to finish second and leave it there?

What's this new question got to do with your original premise?

Ladder position does mean dick. At the end of the series, we'll be able to comment about who stepped up and who didn't. I'll wait and see how it all turns out before whinging about players and their future performance.

Yes, of course I will use a fact as proof that the MC has got it right. Don't be upset that I'm not going to buy into your story about poor culture without proof.

Thought I'd address this here since it's about Sam. Not sure what you mean by skewed?

Well those figures only count the 3 that start under the ruckman, once the ball hits the ground (or more specifically, Dangerfields hands) Menegola is as close to the ball as anyone else.
Semantics really, I'm not disagreeing.

Well those figures only count the 3 that start under the ruckman, once the ball hits the ground (or more specifically, Dangerfields hands) Menegola is as close to the ball as anyone else.
I see. Yes he has found a really great balance between getting involved around the stoppages but also being a link-man between the arcs and a target inside 50m.

Have to disagree. Sorry.

Starting at half forward is not the place to get the second possession. Someone might straighten me out here, but in the first on Saturday (for the first time) they started Menegola in the centre bounces in the first quarter. He had 11 possessions at quarter time. Harder to do that from 20 m away.
He usually racks them up later when he is given centre bounce time.

I have said this here before (after 10 games) . Menegola has pushed in to third place as our most important inside mid. He is now only behind two generational players.

Yes, of course I will use a fact as proof that the MC has got it right. Don't be upset that I'm not going to buy into your story about poor culture without proof.

I'm not upset, nor do I care if you buy into what I'm saying either. You're wrong though, the MC did not get it right on Menegola initially. He had to proof himself beyond what was reasonable, and the club preferred other players based on reputation, not merit. He clearly outperformed senior players but couldn't hold his spot. Good culture?

Motlop, Guthrie and GHS are still either playing below their best or not making the side, yet were preferred.. Menegola has killed it all year, his 2016 from hinted it would be the case too, such progress after so few games, MC were blind to it.

By the way, if you want to respond with the ladder position again, we all know where Geelong finished champ, pasting a large example is hardly necessary. :thumbsu:

It's amazing how we stagger to the finish line on equal top of the ladder (on points) and positioned for a flag tilt with all these incompetent boobs heading our club. :eek:

Well, not as incompetent as the two I mentioned.

They either didn't identify his talent, or have the skill to harness and refine it. Maybe both.

The GFC is his third club, and the only one where he's been given games. They obviously saw something, got him to refine it through the VFL, and now he's a very good player for us in the seniors. Is that called development?

Anyhow, the Hawks and Freo must be feeling foolish, and the GFC deserves some credit.

We've been very incestuous drafting from the state leagues with decent results overall from our own VFL team.

On the rare occasions they have ventured to the WAFL and SANFL they have gone 3-0 with mature age players with Taylor, Stokes and Menegola. I can't think of a flop, maybe there was someone I'm overlooking, but definitely a source of players we should try and tap into more often especially with such late picks.

Well, not as incompetent as the two I mentioned.

They either didn't identify his talent, or have the skill to harness and refine it. Maybe both.

The GFC is his third club, and the only one where he's been given games. They obviously saw something, got him to refine it through the VFL, and now he's a very good player for us in the seniors. Is that called development?

Anyhow, the Hawks and Freo must be feeling foolish, and the GFC deserves some credit.

Interestingly I remember reading that Fremantle and Hawthorn both had him ear marked as a tagger, and it wasn't until he got delisted by Fremantle that his coach in the WAFL allowed him to get his own ball. Which then Geelong took notice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've been very incestuous drafting from the state leagues with decent results overall from our own VFL team.

On the rare occasions they have ventured to the WAFL and SANFL they have gone 3-0 with mature age players with Taylor, Stokes and Menegola. I can't think of a flop, maybe there was someone I'm overlooking, but definitely a source of players we should try and tap into more often especially with such late picks.

On that basis alone Wells should go again, especially with our late picks...it gives us a another option to land a quality prospect.
Liam Ryan, Jye Bolton big talents.

Interestingly I remember reading that Fremantle and Hawthorn both had him ear marked as a tagger, and it wasn't until he got delisted by Fremantle that his coach in the WAFL allowed him to get his own ball. Which then Geelong took notice.

Yep. Thats the nub of it.

Thats the mail I have too. He certainly was never considered a pure on baller. Finally,after injury, he was played as a ball winning mid in the WAFL the year we drafted him and we know how well he polled (per game) in the Sandover.

I saw him first in a 12 minute time trial at the College in his first preseason. He pushed Blitz every step of the way. He had a huge tank then and it is only getting better. he stepped up straightaway in the VFL and but for an untimely injury would have been a key AFL player for us by the end of 2016. Thankfully after starting at half forward in the AFL, he is being given more mid time now and he is responding. Big time.

Well done Wells and Co.

Not a flop as such but Oren Stephenson (spelling) wasn't really utilised. Interestingly Dawson Simpson could still play a role in finals as Mumford is battling by the looks of it

Well the thread was about celebrating Menegola. You saw that as an opportunity to bring up Guthrie and sink your boot into him. It had nothing to do with Sam.

You can see it that way, I see it as a way to show how great Menegola has been since joining the GFC. I've outlined how the impression of a player's ability doesn't necessarily equate into reality. Menegola was not afforded the same privilege as other players.

I've been vocal about Menegola from the start, I heavily questioned him being left out in Round 1, and being dropped after the Pies game.

Menegola without an extra n is a genuine mid with the ability to make a huge finals impact. I think his inclusion into our team has given us much needed strength, overhead marking, positioning in the forward fifty, hard ball gets and straight up talent. I love this kid and hope he remains a mainstay throughout his entire career. Go Menners

If Sam's starts racking possessions early it usually means the teams started well because the midfield's functioning and the so called second tier are doing their job.
To me he sort of links the elite to the rest, thought Sam and Scooter were great in that first quarter against GWS.
They set us on our way l thought.

Last edited:
To me he sort of links the elite to the rest, thought Sam and Scooter were great in that first quarter against GWS.
They set us on our way l thought.

These two have really plugged a large gap that existed in the side. Prior to Scott Selwood and Menegola, our midfield was horrid - genuinely a 2 man setup. Our contested and clearance stats were the worst in the league in 2015, with only Dangerfield's inclusion helping early 2016. Duncan was down last year (much better in 2017), Guthrie / GHS were no good, SS and Menegola's inclusion in the latter part of the year gave us the hardness and ball winning ability to relieve Joel and Dangerfield. Huge difference in my book.

Menegola, SS & Tuohy's inclusion, as well as Duncan's return to form have been the vital elements that have pushed us past the Dangerwood reliance I think, which was such a problem for the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Sam Menegola

Back