Sam Mitchell missed the 'let's all move on' memo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Love Sam Michell's work. Would love to see more of it. The bombers injected there is no move on clause, they should cop it.

The only thing that im upset about is Mitchell apologising.
I am sick of sports players being seen as "role models" and even celebrities. They are not able to have an opinion and are forced to apologise due to political correctness.

Storm in a teacup and indicative of the ridiculously politically correct society we live in-its a joke if Mitchell gets fined. The bigger question in my mind is how come the guy who incepted them gets banned for life and these guys have faced no punishment?
Any fine won't be about "political correctness". It will be about the AFL not wanting the public reminded of the continuing saga. It will be a fine for breaching the AFL marketing division's wishes. Although thinking about it most of the "political correctness" fines are also that.

I am sick of sports players being seen as "role models" and even celebrities. They are not able to have an opinion and are forced to apologise due to political correctness.

They are role-models though. They are the heroes of our children.

I personally don't give a **** about this Sam Mitchell shit, but don't be naive about how much impact these footballers can have on the minds of the younger generation.

I teach grade 6 in Adelaide and all my boys worship the ground that Sloane, Wingard, Boak, walk(er) on. If one of those players said something racist, sexist, inflammatory then my students would be affected by that in some way.

I personally don't give a **** about this Sam Mitchell shit, but don't be naive about how much impact these footballers can have on the minds of the younger generation.

I teach grade 6 in Adelaide and all my boys worship the ground that Sloane, Wingard, Boak, walk(er) on. If one of those players said something racist, sexist, inflammatory then my students would be affected by that in some way.
Hmm, in this situation I see it a bit differently.

Reminding a bunch of players that their club duped them; that were involved in the worst doping scandal in the sport's history - and that their failure to perform their most basic of personal responsibilites and requirements was pivotal in allowing this to occur at all?

Warranted.

In fact for a school group, could be a really good trigger for a discussion/ session on drugs in sport, drugs in community, drugs around the schoolyard, etc.

So I was just reading elsewhere that Mark Stevens has said that the AFL could fine Sammy for bringing the game into disrepute.

Amusingly that would mean he would be only player to be sanctioned over this Bomber saga

He's fidgets chronically. I think it gets worse when he is trying to maintain a calm face. He nail bites in the coaches box - I always pick up on it because I did as a kid and my mum was always telling me how bad it looks. After the Geelong & WC losses he kept scratching like he had fleas.

They should give him a prop like a sponsors drink or something - just to occupy his hands a bit. If it were 40 years ago he would be right because he could chain smoke or something, but acquiring a habit like that probably isn't the best PR idea for James in 2015.
Must be a throw back from his share brokering days.

So what did Sammy do wrong? Forget to tiptoe around the truth? There is some sledging that is off bounds, but this is far from it.

If Essendon players didn't want to be sledged for being part of an injection program, then they should not have been part of an injection program. It's a good lesson for future players. If you are too sensitive to be sledged about possibly being a cheat, then don't inject lots of stuff to try to get an advantage over the rest of the competition and try to get away scot free.

Of course James Hird thought it was childish. Real men use Melanotan.

Yeah, meanwhile the kid in the back row with real problems gets cast adrift because we need to focus on societies real problems - what people think about footballers. No really.

Most likely Mitchell apologised because either someone at the club told him to pull his head in, he self reflected and realised that as a father and role model it wasn't a good look or his missus gave him a clip.

Being a man of great conviction, Mitchell put his own ego on hold and accepted as a role model, leader, father and team player he would admit fault, take full responsibility for his actions and attempt to defuse the situation with the media and football public.

I'm not the least bit surprised these concepts are completely foreign to you, with the complete lack of leadership the face of your club has shown the last 2 years. Unlike Hird, Mitchell accepts he is not bigger than his football club, put his ego aside and humbled himself. Mitchell is a man of great principle and team first mentality. Again, all foreign concepts to a disciple of Dear Leader James like yourself. Just another example of why your club remains in our shadow!

Whackity whack whack :thumbsu:

So I was just reading elsewhere that Mark Stevens has said that the AFL could fine Sammy for bringing the game into disrepute.

Amusingly that would mean he would be only player to be sanctioned over this Bomber saga

If that were to happen we should start an appeal on here to pay the fine!
I know it's done differently down Tulla way with membership levies and coterie groups having to cough up~

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the complete and utter lack of a response from the Essendon players was interesting. Where is all the team spirit in the face of adversity now? They just look like they don't care anymore. About anything.
They looked like the dog that has had the shit kicked out of it.
Didn't bark, just walked away with their tails between their collective legs.
They looked broken.

Yeah, meanwhile the kid in the back row with real problems gets cast adrift because we need to focus on societies real problems - what people think about footballers. No really.

What a crock of shit.

Those issues are constantly being discussed, looked at and evaluated by the education community. I have students with abusive parents, kids who don't eat right or shower because they don't have people to look after them. I keep toothbrushes, soap and sanitation items in my room so that I can ensure kids are looked after properly. Those are massive issues and these kids are not cast aside and the fact you sprout this shit shows you have no idea how bad it really is for those kids.

Having said that, we use footballers to talk about issues such as alcohol abuse, gambling problems and domestic violence. We use them because they are role models and young males will listen to them.

If you don't see them as role models (willing or not) you're oblivious to how the world works.

PS - I think this Sam Mitchell stuff is overblown and ridicilous.

Mitchell's apology was pretty cringeworthy. That whole cliche of 'i wouldn't want my children to witness that'. When i first heard that apology without seeing the incident I thought he king hit someone during the game. Pretty nothing sort of thing. Surprised it took so long to happen tbh.
What apology? He diffused the situation but didn't apologise for shit as he is right not to do

PS - I think this Sam Mitchell stuff is overblown and ridicilous.
Completely agree with you.

Question is, who is driving the beat-up? It appears to be the AFL accredited mouth-pieces that continue to keep it running - if it was contrary to AFL view/direction/bent, it will be over by today.

Fair enough if something racist or sexist is said but all Mitchell did was point out something factual.

The fact is that Essendon players let themselves be jabbed up with God knows what.

If they had taken their responsibilities to the anti doping code seriously none of this would be happening.

If that's the case, I hope someone starts a public fundraiser.

I think the AFL and certain fanboy footy media would be very surprised by the amount raised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Mitchell missed the 'let's all move on' memo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back