No Oppo Supporters Sam Mitchell traded

Remove this Banner Ad

I laughed at the Kangaroos and Boomer. Is this karma?
Hard to understand a decision like this, we have to have someone other than O'Meara on the go, makes no sense to sell the heart and soul of your club for a guy who hasn't played in two years. Especially when Mitch is still performing.

Rubbish, it's great for Sam and his family. As someone else with a young family, it'd be far better for me to move before my kids start school than when they're already in school. Sam and his wife were already considering this move in a years time. So for him and his family, this is a great move. And the Club is facilitating it.

For supporters, yes it sucks, we're losing a favourite player. Get used to it, it happens in other major sports around the world (And in minor competitions too!!)
x2.

People can't see the forest for the trees just yet, but in time they will.

Hard to understand a decision like this, we have to have someone other than O'Meara on the go, makes no sense to sell the heart and soul of your club for a guy who hasn't played in two years. Especially when Mitch is still performing.

At least they don't have to see Boomer in a different team's Guernsey :( But you're right. Surely. We can't be doing all this for a guy we have no guarantees will even make it through a year uninjured. Our medical team has struggled with Woodward, O'Meara is a gamble

How is Wright going to sugar coat what has happened?

By iterating it's the best decision for Sam and his Family? The club gets some salary cap relief too. I don't like it because i would have loved Sam to stay a 1 club player, but i understand it. I coped with Brereton going to other club(s), he's still a Hawthorn great for mine.

Roos forced Harvey out
Hawks looked after Mitchell

There's a major difference

upload_2016-10-14_10-50-15.png

Now F**K off to your own board, the thread is labelled "No Opposition Supporters", and take Daniel Wells, Drew Petrie, Nick Del Santo and Dud Firrito and years of mediocrity with you.

P/S David Hale And Josh Gibson say "Hi" and thanks for the Premiership medals.

Notable Pick 88s
2009 - Wade Thompson
2010 - Zeph Skinner
2011- Alex Sexton
2012 - Sean Gregory
2013 - Passed
2014 - Pick didn't exist
2015 - Pick didn't exist
3Q0OEj8.gif

yes devastated and shocked as everyone but on the other hand think we need to take a deep breath and see how it all pans out.

we do need a a list rejuvenation and we have trusted this same group for years and they have built a great list and brought in flags

i will re asses my opinion until the trade period has finished.

final note - if any had to go i would have preferred Lewis go ahead of Mitch and will be also interesting to see how his body handles the travelling every second week

Last edited:
We missed Mitchell for a significant stretch in 2013 by memory and we were fine. He has carried the midfield for far too long. Psychologically there was too much of a detrimental reliance on the great man.

Time for the rest to step up significantly.

What a huge move.

Freeing up cap space a priority for the regeneration process.

We are still in it up to our eyeballs in 2017.

KOLOKOTRONIS

They didn't even get West coats 2nd round pick, what a joke.

We just gifted him like we gifted Kennedy and Mcglyn and we all know how that turned out for us.

I'm furious at what we got trade wise out of this, I'm sad a club legend will be wearing another teams colours next year and I am surprised we have bet the farm on O'Meara and TMitchell next year.

People may liken this to the moves Clarko made when he first arrived at the club to move on the veterans but this is nothing like it. Back then we DRAFTED youth in we didn't trade them in, this all feels sort of soulless to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish, it's great for Sam and his family. As someone else with a young family, it'd be far better for me to move before my kids start school than when they're already in school. Sam and his wife were already considering this move in a years time. So for him and his family, this is a great move. And the Club is facilitating it.

For supporters, yes it sucks, we're losing a favourite player. Get used to it, it happens in other major sports around the world (And in minor competitions too!!)

I wish people would stop saying this is great for Sam and his family. Sam himself said he was happy to stay another year at the Hawks and had signed a contract to do so. This is not about looking after Sam and/or his family as has been pointed out numerous times. It's not about cap space as Wright said himself. It's not about trading for picks as pick 88 testifies. What this is about I do not know but starting to worry there is something very wrong going on at Hawthorn. Said it before, this makes no sense at all.

We missed Mitchell for a significant stretch in 2013 by memory and we were fine. He has carried the midfield for far too long. Psychologically there was too much of a detrimental reliance on the great man.

Time for the rest to step up significantly.

What a huge move.

Freeing up cap space a priority for the regeneration process.

We are still in it up to our eyeballs in 2017.

KOLOKOTRONIS
That was 2014 when we had Lewis in beast mode for the whole year :eek:

Heart broken
:brokenheart:

The club has lost so much more than what it thinks.
They can't brainwash us to accept this propaganda that's been bandied about.
Now he's gone other players will follow, Sam changed the culture to the better.
Clarko and GW are to blame for getting this disgrace over the line.
Long term members like me have long term memories and this is a black spot in the history of the club.

Anyone who has watched Hawthorn live this year would know that on form alone, Lewis especially (he's too slow now and makes stupid handballs), and even perhaps Gibson/Schoenmakers/Schiels/Birchall (latter three making constant clangers/not doing much), should have been considered before Mitchell.
If it was about freeing up salary cap space alone, I don't understand.
I can see the need to be brutal in this new 'USA NBL/NFL of AFL new trade/draft environment' that is happening before our very eyes in this beloved indigenous game of ours now permanently changed to a business, but why Mitchell? Lewis would have been the obvious candidate...

Geez I want to hear from Clarko soon, why take a heart and sole player and risk alienating other players who have taken pay cut after pay cut only to see a guy who hasn't played in two years potentially get more than them. If you need space pick anyone else, I love hawthorn and always have a soft for all our former players even buddy. I have no issue with players coming and going but the way this was done hurts. Sam is our 2nd greatest player ever… Hopefully in time this will be seen as a masterstroke for now my head is spinning. Thanks sam you are a champ, lets hope you coach us one day.

This is f***ing disgusting. We effectively get a pick in the 80's for a 5 time B & F and all time great of the game.

Criticise my post all you like but this is not the way a club sees off its legends. If this was going to be the outcome then why did we sign all of these guys to contract extensions in the first place? And we were clearly complicit in whatever discussions Lewis has had with Melbourne. It seems that now Fagan has left Clarko has gone rogue.

I understand that footy is a business and that we have to prepare for the future but this is not how you end players who have contributed what these guys have. It is not good for the fans and it is not good for the culture of the club.

Last edited:
This is f***ing disgusting. We effectively get a pick in the 80's for a 5 time B & F and all time great of the game.

Criticise my thread all you like but this is not the way a club sees off its legends. If this was going to be the outcome then why did we sign all of these guys to contract extensions in the first place? And we were clearly complicit in whatever discussions Lewis has had with Melbourne. It seems that now Fagan has left Clarko has gone rogue.

I understand that footy is a business and that we have to prepare for the future but this is not how you end players who have contributed what these guys have. It is not good for the fans and it is not good for the culture of the club.
if it gets us rockliff this year with fyfe and trengove as FA's next year I wont complain. have to wait 12 months anyway to found out, at which point I'll have moved on

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters Sam Mitchell traded

Remove this Banner Ad

Back