Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

8 wins total, pick 4 and lots of player development would be a good season for us.
Have to disagree. Better to see genuine improvement and a higher pick.

If we could scrape 9th and bring in Baz and maybe some other players to fill some gaps, that'd be a much better season.

So … what are those “don’t extend his contract” bunch up to these days?

Once again, I already follow one team that stupidly extends our coach’s contract when he has a few minor successes in the regular season - I don’t want to follow another. Let’s see how the rest of the year pans out and see if we beat some top 8 sides along the way. I say this as a fan of Sam - but if we finish this season strongly then we can extend at the end of the year. Rushing things is as pointless as your victory lap after every win.

So … what are those “don’t extend his contract” bunch up to these days?
I’m not against an extension but I don’t see any point in doing it now.

Sam isn’t leaving HFC for another club, so no pressure on us to sign him.

Let’s just let him continue to show us his direction, there should be very little stress on either party

I’m not against an extension but I don’t see any point in doing it now.

Sam isn’t leaving HFC for another club, so no pressure on us to sign him.

Let’s just let him continue to show us his direction, there should be very little stress on either party

This. I doubt Sam is sitting around fretting that he’s uncontracted in 2026. He and the club probably know where each other are at. If we finish this season showing really good signs of development and win say 9-10 games then I’m sure the extension will happen quickly.

Have to disagree. Better to see genuine improvement and a higher pick.

If we could scrape 9th and bring in Baz and maybe some other players to fill some gaps, that'd be a much better season.
People under estimate just how good picks 11-13 are at producing talent.

2018 - Caldwell, Butters, Quaynor
2019 - Flander, Pickett, Day
2020 - Pedlar, Burhn, Powell
2021 - Wanganeen-Milera, Sinn, Hobbs

Tasting finals doesn't mean elite talent can't come in

People under estimate just how good picks 11-13 are at producing talent.

2018 - Caldwell, Butters, Quaynor
2019 - Flander, Pickett, Day
2020 - Pedlar, Burhn, Powell
2021 - Wanganeen-Milera, Sinn, Hobbs

Tasting finals doesn't mean elite talent can't come in
So just Butters and Day then?😉

This time last year we had 4pts and were sitting on 60%.

Having 3 wins and a percentage of 76% considering we’ve played the top 4 teams as it currently stands is showing progress, even if you ignore the other development wins like how we are now showing ability to hold teams a little better.

One thing that's happened since Day has returned is the improved Centre Clearance differential.
Our 2024 differential was 17th in the comp only a few weeks ago, second only to Richmond, and now over the last 5 games we are 0.6(12th) off the AFL average for Centre clearance win differential.

Having 3 wins and a percentage of 76% considering we’ve played the top 4 teams as it currently stands is showing progress, even if you ignore the other development wins like how we are now showing ability to hold teams a little better.

One thing that's happened since Day has returned is the improved Centre Clearance differential.
Our 2024 differential was 17th in the comp only a few weeks ago, second only to Richmond, and now over the last 5 games we are 0.6(12th) off the AFL average for Centre clearance win differential.

Last year someone did a great analysis of our CBAs. How many has Day attended? I felt like he’d been more off half back than in the middle.

Would love a breakdown on why the centre clearance differential has been so different with Day in the side.

Last year someone did a great analysis of our CBAs. How many has Day attended? I felt like he’d been more off half back than in the middle.
Waiting for an update on yesterdays numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love a breakdown on why the centre clearance differential has been so different with Day in the side.
I've noticed he tends to position himself defensive side of the clearance and is often giving instructions to the other mids - maybe making sure they keep track of their opponent or maybe something else?

If the opposition win it then he's blocking that direct exit towards goal. If it gets caught at ground level then he's got a good view of where it might pop out from the pack.

If we win it then he's well positioned to be the safe receiver option out the back, otherwise he can run out wide to either side to receive as he keeps moving.

I've noticed he tends to position himself defensive side of the clearance and is often giving instructions to the other mids - maybe making sure they keep track of their opponent or maybe something else?

If the opposition win it then he's blocking that direct exit towards goal. If it gets caught at ground level then he's got a good view of where it might pop out from the pack.

If we win it then he's well positioned to be the safe receiver option out the back, otherwise he can run out wide to either side to receive as he keeps moving.
I've noticed he runs similar patterns to Bont- defensive, wide and through.
I think both him and Moore currently have the greatest impact through the middle for us, but I really want to understand why.

His "exit blocking" is next level

Huge source of scoring for our opposition in the period Day wasn't in the team. They'd just run it right out of the middle and be able to kick the goal from outside 50 on the run, or hit a short lead up the corridor. Now more often they'll need to exit wider or kick inside 50 from deeper inside the square.

Does beg the question, who was playing that role while he was out?

I've noticed he runs similar patterns to Bont- defensive, wide and through.
I think both him and Moore currently have the greatest impact through the middle for us, but I really want to understand why.

Both great points made by you two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back