Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

I’m quite possibly getting a thousand miles ahead of myself, but who else thinks it’s not completely beyond the realms of possibility that we could play finals next year?
We’ve shown this year that our best footy is definitely good enough for finals. Our worst footy is a long way off it.

We fix that up and we are in with a massive shout.

Sam’s next challenge is figuring out how to defend against teams that are quick through the middle of the ground. These are the teams that have got the best of us and really make us look like we are struggling.

I’m quite possibly getting a thousand miles ahead of myself, but who else thinks it’s not completely beyond the realms of possibility that we could play finals next year?
Should win a Final in 2024 & the Flag in 2025.

We should have beaten eagles and kangas, but saints and brisbane, mid range clubs this year, we dictated those games and really deserved the wins. Brisbane are mid range at mcg

Had two shockers but the rest of the games won some quarters in the rest against teams above us on ladder right now in facts quick scan shows we are around 50% quarters won

Played 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 13th 14th 17th 18th. 8-5 Top - bottom half of ladder

Games to come 11th 15th (lol) 14th 17th 12th 5th 1st 8th 3rd 10th. 3-7 top - bottom half of ladder

Mid range club with a tough first half of season.

Last edited:
We should have beaten eagles and kangas, but saints and brisbane, mid range clubs this year, we dictated those games and really deserved the wins. Brisbane are mid range at mcg

Had two shockers but the rest of the games won some quarters in the rest against teams above us on ladder right now

Credit to the other sides but we really should have beaten the Giants and Crows too.

Will just put this here (let it sink in peeps)
Games played…

Newc 42

Lewis 58

Reeves 29

Day 44 (22 yrs old :oops:)

Meek 26

DGB 23

Ward 21

Long 3

Mackenzie 11

Butler 15

McDonald 31

Brockman 21

Blanck 16

WEDDLE 7 (GGF)

Ramsden 1

Mitchell 8

BMac 1

“Gunna need a bigger cabinet methinks” (lmfao)

Crowds sensing it too. The turnout on Saturday was up there with the b2b2b years

Our strong salary cap position and sensible player contracts will also help accelerate our drive to finals.
We also have draft picks in each round of upcoming draft as well as a young list.
Compare our position to clubs like blues and cats who have few draft picks ,extremely tight caps and aging lists

Will just put this here (let it sink in peeps)
Games played…

Newc 42

Lewis 58

Reeves 29

Day 44 (22 yrs old :oops:)

Meek 26

DGB 23

Ward 21

Long 3

Mackenzie 11

Butler 15

McDonald 31

Brockman 21

Blanck 16

WEDDLE 7 (GGF)

Ramsden 1

Mitchell 8

BMac 1

“Gunna need a bigger cabinet methinks” (lmfao)
Weddle GGF 😂

Crowds sensing it too. The turnout on Saturday was up there with the b2b2b years

Wasn’t the greatest of crowd numbers but at least of the 36,000 it would have been 34,000 Hawthorn folk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've got to be joking?

Not sure what you want me to be joking about? This isn’t the NRL, 36,000 isn’t a crowd to be gloating about. In the context of being an interstate team and in the midst of a rebuild it was a pleasing number - but like Sam said to the group after the game we want to be playing in front of 60-70,000 again.

It’s actually more than Richmond v Port got last week in the same time slot

That was a Sunday game and there was 7mm of rain that day. Perfect conditions on a Saturday for us.

Wasn’t the greatest of crowd numbers but at least of the 36,000 it would have been 34,000 Hawthorn folk.

Hard to say, I feel like 36 is a good effort considering our ladder position and an interstate opposition.

June 2012 we played the Lions at the G (On a Sunday though, not sure if that makes a difference either way?) and we had 35,000 there when we were top 2 of the ladder against a poor Lions outfit.

As Moorey said yesterday though, they loved the energy of the crowd and they want to keep playing good footy that is going to bring in 70k.

Hard to say, I feel like 36 is a good effort considering our ladder position and an interstate opposition.

June 2012 we played the Lions at the G (On a Sunday though, not sure if that makes a difference either way?) and we had 35,000 there when we were top 2 of the ladder against a poor Lions outfit.

As Moorey said yesterday though, they loved the energy of the crowd and they want to keep playing good footy that is going to bring in 70k.

I don’t think 36,000 is a bad number in the broader context, I just don’t think it’s one I’d be gushing about is all. There’s still a decent chunk of the supporter base opting to sit at home on a perfect day to go and watch footy.

I’ll grant you the energy was superb - as Walshawk said also. It was a lot of fun to be at and one of the louder games I’ve been to for a 1/3 full MCG.

I don’t think 36,000 is a bad number in the broader context, I just don’t think it’s one I’d be gushing about is all. There’s still a decent chunk of the supporter base opting to sit at home on a perfect day to go and watch footy.

I’ll grant you the energy was superb - as Walshawk said also. It was a lot of fun to be at and one of the louder games I’ve been to for a 1/3 full MCG.

Yeah for sure, I find it frustrating that fans opt to do that too. I don't like that we do have a bit of a fair-weather fan base especially when the chance to get to games is fairly few and far between.

Yeah for sure, I find it frustrating that fans opt to do that too. I don't like that we do have a bit of a fair-weather fan base especially when the chance to get to games is fairly few and far between.

It’s particularly annoying as it’s clearly noticed by the pinheads at AFL house and used against us (twilight games, home games versus Marvel tenants at Marvel, lack of Friday night games etc). I think if there’s ~30,000 Hawthorn supporters there on Saturday then it’s a damn good start but if we can drive that up more as we start winning it’ll be a massive help, particularly leading into us probably playing more games in Melbourne as Tassie enters the league.

That said I’ll reiterate what I said in the game day threat - those as the game clearly believed in the club and the young blokes out there on Saturday and I love how much noise the Hawthorn supporters brought in the second half especially. There was belief on and off the field Saturday and I think it’ll be something those who were there can point back to in 18-36 months time as being the start of a very fun ride.

Had two shockers but the rest of the games won some quarters in the rest against teams above us on ladder right now in facts quick scan shows we are around 50% quarters won

Played 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 13th 14th 17th 18th. 8-5 Top - bottom half of ladder

Games to come 11th 15th (lol) 14th 17th 12th 5th 1st 8th 3rd 10th. 3-7 top - bottom half of ladder

Honestly I can see us winning eight more games.

201-1 are the odds of us making the 8 this year

However we will need at least a percentage of 100 and Sicily not to be out for more than 2 games

Why not!

Winning the flag by 2025 sounds great. Pretty unrealistic, but great.

If our development of players presently under 50 games keeps on the present trajectory it’s not as unrealistic as you’d imagine - particularly if by 2024 a couple of our best players at present establish themselves as absolute A-graders (Lewis, Day, Moore etc) and some of the up and comers are pushing towards that level (Ward, Mackenzie, MacDonald, Brockman, Weddle etc). If we build on this and play finals next year then take the bloody lid off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back