Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Trust me Sydney did not want to let this guy go. Was following a typical pathway Sydney employ for a plethora of talent they have in surplus due to Academy/Priority zone: a couple of years development in the NEAFL make Team of the Year and then upgraded into Sydney best 22 to inevitably play finals (recent examples: Nic Newman, George Hewett).

Might seem right now to all the Schachephilles on here that we paid overs but it's less than what we would have paid for Saad and I have a feeling this kid has more upside.
Hope your right. His highlights do look good

We are a very very long time away from being a top 4 threat, people on here don't even realise. We're in the middle of a long dark period.

Hine Gubby Allen ect have done some serious long term damage to the club that will take years before we can even recover

I think that before our interest that had not offered him an upgrade because they could get away with him on the rookie list for another year. After our interest they had to offer him a spot. That can't have been a bluff by the Swans as they would have had to tell Murray's manager that he was going to have a spot.

We forced their hand but having said that, we overpaid. When you have a reputation as a poor negotiator who always "blinks" then you always get bent over.
When you target a specific player you generally overpay to get them to move and get the other club to agree. Happened with Murray, Weller & Cameron this year. Why it didn't happen with Witts last year is what hurts as much as anything. (ie if we win some, lose some it evens out but when we seem to be losing more often then winning it's a harder pill to swallow. We have at least won with Howe & Varcoe.)

Good summary. At the end of the day I am just amazed that a future 2nd came up in a trade deal for a rookie the Swans didn’t even want to upgrade to the main list.

What were the machinations of Swans putting to us “yeah he is not good enough for our main list but we want your 2018 2nd in the deal”.

Surely they would have agreed to a much lesser price for a rookie who wanted out if we had pressed them. We had all the advantage here.

Just listen to Hine's interviews, the guy just doesn't have the guts to pressure other teams into better deals... we always blink and the other teams get what they want. I don't think he has the aggression or killer instinct needed to survive in these situations.

Trading with Collingwood much be a luxury, they literally just push us around.

We are a very very long time away from being a top 4 threat, people on here don't even realise. We're in the middle of a long dark period.

Hine Gubby Allen ect have done some serious long term damage to the club that will take years before we can even recover
Surely someone at the club can see how shot these deals have been and pulls them aside and says not in my watch!

Hey everybody, if you wanna ask Hine for a favour, nows the time! He's doped up or dying or something!

"Uhhh excuse me, id like to request your second round pick for my unwanted rookie"

I just hope that the Pies and Swans know something that we don't and that he is worth the pick downgrade that we have given them. The highlight package looks promising but we will have to wait until next season to know more. Until then I reserve my judgement.

Now that the smoke has settled on this kid, i'm still fumming but I can see why they did it.

Exit Ben Sinclair, Enter Sam Murray.

Watch for the announcement over the next few days!
Probably this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just listen to Hine's interviews, the guy just doesn't have the guts to pressure other teams into better deals... we always blink and the other teams get what they want. I don't think he has the aggression or killer instinct needed to survive in these situations.

He fails on the most critical issue when negotiating. Put a value on the trade and walk away if you cant meet or better it.

I just hope that the Pies and Swans know something that we don't and that he is worth the pick downgrade that we have given them. The highlight package looks promising but we will have to wait until next season to know more. Until then I reserve my judgement.
No matter how good he could become, we never should have given up that much up for a rookie with 0 senior games.

Can I ask a question?

We give second round pick?

V

We get a third round pick?
We get 4th round pick
We get player?

So what's that really mean we have given up akin to 2 1/2 or 20 spots or so?

I think that's it. 20 spots. Did we need to? Probably not.

Can I ask a question?

V

We get 4th round pick
We get player?

Our 2nd rounder will be early 20s, Swans 3rd rounder will be close to 60. Huge difference, especially in a draft with so much depth you will still be finding regular gems in the 20s.

The 4th round pick is pretty much worthless unless we're using it as points for Brown or something

Given this is a thread welcoming Murray what do you think of him as a player? I know it’s difficult to separate the player from the deal, but can you see something in his game that would appeal to Collingwood?

I 100% feel like the club have made a rod for their own back on this one by fueling the fire that is the external perception that they’re struggling. Surely though there are some benefits to acquiring his services?

Can I ask a question?

V

We get 4th round pick
We get player?

That’s a really unnecessarily long and contrived way of saying we dropped the ball on it. You know it is ok to be obviously critical of the club from time to time. The sky won’t fall in upon itself if you do!

Our 2nd rounder will be early 20s, Swans 3rd rounder will be close to 60. Huge difference, especially in a draft with so much depth you will still be finding regular gems in the 20s.

The 4th round pick is pretty much worthless unless we're using it as points for Brown or something
Ok, on that basis something like 20 to 40 spots, let's call it 30 spots.

Genuinely feel sorry for this poor bloke. Will quickly become a whipping boy if he doesn't perform. Looking at his highlights he has elite pace and confidence which is good. But as others have said, I think we needed to address other areas first. Nonetheless, welcome Sam :)

I've got to admit, when I heard we were chasing Murray, my first reaction was..
What the F###?
Then I did some research on him and thought to myself, ok, fine maybe pick 80, change of fourth rounders - something like that.
I watched other players get traded and then I started to believe that the trades I had thought of would be just about right.

THEN
Next year's round 2
WOW
Deep Draft
Our second round could be somewhere between 23-30
Swans third round could be 47-56

I am gutted.
I look forward to this time every year and the last 3 years have been utterly disappointing.
We always pay overs
We always sell unders

But when I look at what other clubs do during trading week!!

I am really disappointed with my club
Not with the fact that we have a new player
Welcome to the club young man
BUT the fact that other clubs must laugh at us.

The fact that other players in this draft period have moved for less or really good players for equal to what we traded for Murray makes me angry with my club.
The club I have supported for almost 50 years.

I think decisions we have made the last 3-6 years have made our club, with it's proud and fanatical supporters, go backwards.
I can't see us being ready to have a go at the flag for some time yet!

Really disappointed at this time.

But it's only a game!
Yes...but it's a passion to most of us!

But come 2018 I will wish Sam all the best.
But unfortunately, Sam comes into the club will a hell of a lot of pressure put on him, because our club finds it hard to negotiate during trade time.

Relax Kappa.

I think that after the last couple of years, we can all stop pretending we know how far away any club is from a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back