Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

He is quality one on one the way Burgoyne was for Hawks but his pace would be faster than someone like Hill. He can run the lines better than Leon Davis in 2011 and delver the ball better.

Given this is a thread welcoming Murray what do you think of him as a player? I know it’s difficult to separate the player from the deal, but can you see something in his game that would appeal to Collingwood?

I 100% feel like the club have made a rod for their own back on this one by fueling the fire that is the external perception that they’re struggling. Surely though there are some benefits to acquiring his services?

That’s a really unnecessarily long and contrived way of saying we dropped the ball on it. You know it is ok to be obviously critical of the club from time to time. The sky won’t fall in upon itself if you do!

I mean it's pretty hard to accurately judge his talent when he has never played a game and his only exposed form is at NEAFL level which is a pretty rubbish competition.

On paper he fits our needs but if he wanted to leave the Swans then our pick 56 alone would've/should've got the deal done if our list management team held their nerve.

I just hope that the Pies and Swans know something that we don't and that he is worth the pick downgrade that we have given them. The highlight package looks promising but we will have to wait until next season to know more. Until then I reserve my judgement.

Well Hine see Something in him they we have not seen yet

Genuinely feel sorry for this poor bloke. Will quickly become a whipping boy if he doesn't perform. Looking at his highlights he has elite pace and confidence which is good. But as others have said, I think we needed to address other areas first. Nonetheless, welcome Sam :)

I don't think any of the criticism is directed at him. From the limited footage around he looks to have some tools, seems to use the footy pretty well, and fills a need we desperately needed filling. Hopefully he can convince us all that the trade cost is well spent.

Can we stop recruiting attacking defenders... we're a shambles down back as is, we don't need all these running back type players who generally cant hold there own defensively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is quality one on one the way Burgoyne was for Hawks but his pace would be faster than someone like Hill. He can run the lines better than Leon Davis in 2011 and delver the ball better.

You forgot to mention his leadership is like Hodge, marking like Carey, set-shots like Lloyd, hands like Diesel, a leap like Howe...

I hear he can pinch hit in the ruck, kick 60 goals a season and play on the most dangerous forward if required.

We're set. Great trade.

He’s very elite kick similar to that of Sam Mitchell and has Sams hardness.

You stay away from him, the last thing the kid needs is you backing him. It just doesn't seem to end well.

You forgot to mention his leadership is like Hodge, marking like Carey, set-shots like Lloyd, hands like Diesel, a leap like Howe...

I hear he can pinch hit in the ruck, kick 60 goals a season and play on the most dangerous forward if required.

We're set. Great trade.
There is always that one that goes too far.

Regardless of whether he makes it or not, the imbecile that orchestrated this deal needs to go back to bigfooty and learn his trade values.

Its simple, a straight swap for a 3rd or 4th round pick for an unproven footballer.

I mean it's pretty hard to accurately judge his talent when he has never played a game and his only exposed form is at NEAFL level which is a pretty rubbish competition.

On paper he fits our needs but if he wanted to leave the Swans then our pick 56 alone would've/should've got the deal done if our list management team held their nerve.

That’s a reasonable assessment of things. The benefit for me is that we’ll know quickly whether it was worth it or not because at that price if he gets through fit he plays round 1. I do agree on the value it doesn’t sit well with me, but wringing our hands over it unfortunately won’t change things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back