Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow. Thats a huge call.

Harry was a star. Without taking those risks, those extra steps, he would have been nothing.

I actually want Murray to make the odd mistake occasionally. That means hes playing on the edge. If he has a career as good as Harry then I'll be happy. That said he seems more comfortable with the high ball and less of a high maintencance personality for the club to manage/babysit. So maybe he is ahead.
I am probably influenced by as you described it “babysitting” of H.
He was such a pain, but very good player for a few years.

I think you're about 3 years behind the times. By the way, coaches votes last week:

SYDNEY v ADELAIDE
10 Seedsman (Adel)
7 Atkins (Adel)
6 Walker (Adel)
3 Doedee (Adel)
2 Lynch (Adel)
1 Jones (Syd)
1 Laird (Adel)
5 weeks. Not 3 years behind. I like Seedsman because I will always consider him to be one of us and I really hope he goes on with it, but him playing good footy isn't a surprise, him sustaining it for an extended period will be a bit of a surprise.

He was very good for more than a few years.
I guess so.

Looked like a big machine at his prime. Looked like a big steam roller and played like that.

Harry O was an All Australian and was top 5 in our B and F many times. People quickly forget. Murray i like BUT i see a future whipping boy. We all love his run BUT he needs to do it at the right times. He is young, has a LOT of potential but needs a lot of work, he makes a lot of mistakes and thinks he can do things not even Pendles can. Still happy we got him, hope he develops well.

Harry O was an All Australian and was top 5 in our B and F many times. People quickly forget. Murray i like BUT i see a future whipping boy. We all love his run BUT he needs to do it at the right times. He is young, has a LOT of potential but needs a lot of work, he makes a lot of mistakes and thinks he can do things not even Pendles can. Still happy we got him, hope he develops well.
I know his young, I know he's only 6 games into his career - but a few things worried me today, that are going to cause grief going forward if not tended to.

A) He is a genuine left footer, as in, right side is basically there for show. Needs to develop a right foot that'll assist in getting out when corralled. Opposition play these guys quite comfortably as they always know which way/side they'll go.

B) Decision making - its all good to dash, take the game on etc. But just blindly taking off isn't smart. Found himself doing that on numerous occasions this afternoon, and they nearly all ended poorly.

If he applies himself, he'll be fine. But these flaws will need to be addressed in the next 18 months. Otherwise, his start in the Black & White has been very good.

Ran himself into trouble a couple of times yesterday but that dare is what we love about him. He is a beauty, generally uses the ball well too.

He'll work it out I tend to think, long way to go yet.

At the moment he's having a crack at all costs, obviously been told to just go for it, picking his moments will come with more experience.

Comparisons to Harry O, (a fantastic Collingwood player at his best) or anyone else, to me is irrelevant at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know his young, I know he's only 6 games into his career - but a few things worried me today, that are going to cause grief going forward if not tended to.

A) He is a genuine left footer, as in, right side is basically there for show. Needs to develop a right foot that'll assist in getting out when corralled. Opposition play these guys quite comfortably as they always know which way/side they'll go.

B) Decision making - its all good to dash, take the game on etc. But just blindly taking off isn't smart. Found himself doing that on numerous occasions this afternoon, and they nearly all ended poorly.

If he applies himself, he'll be fine. But these flaws will need to be addressed in the next 18 months. Otherwise, his start in the Black & White has been very good.
Like you said only 6 games in

I am probably influenced by as you described it “babysitting” of H.
He was such a pain, but very good player for a few years.

H at his best was great coming off half back.. the blokes I sat next to every week used to call him Predator (Arnold Schwarzenegger movie). Opposition supporters were like WTF.. but respect re. He was awesome at his best.

Murray.. skies the limit for this bloke.. he's got the complete package.. but really quite raw.. showed at the very least glimpses of everything needed as a HBF. Exciting to see his progress over the next few yrs.

Adams, Treloar, Murray.

Who's the next shot kick we are going to overpay for?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back