Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've noticed the last 2 weeks, we haven't seen as many daring runs where he takes on 3 or 4 opponents.

I really hope he hasn't been told to rain this in.
More likely he rains it down!

I’m very happy with his controlled aggression. The threat is a weapon as much as the reality.

Great hair but it needs some styling to make it less quiffantish.

Great player too. Club actually knew what they were doing when they traded him in. Who'd've thunk it.

We brought him in for that exact thing, can't see it being coached out of him, I see then trying to encourage it maybe just a little more controlled.

There is probably a very fine line between encouraging control and coaching it out of him. I personally think they will be encouraging him to take it on. Opposition clubs will be trying to clamp down on it. The great thing is that he has shown that he is good enough to have an impact in other ways and doesn't need to be splitting the seas in order to be a good contributor. We have an absolute ripper here.

I think it shows even after so few games he really is a babe in woods, an ncreasing awareness of when and where to go. If he is to be tagged then someone else is being freed up.

I prefer his hair to Langdons

Yep.. the day is fast approaching when some guy is sent out to just tag Sam

Well i feel the Crows moving Richard Douglas on to him was basically that. Not a "tag", but an experienced vet who knows his defensive responsibilities.

Other teams will be focusing on him defensively - but that takes the place of one attacking fwd role, and may free up the run from others.

I'm sure Murray will have a bumpy first year. Part of it will be playing through fatigue and the rookie wall, part of it will be learning to still fulfill his role if/when there are lapses around him, and part of will be learning to deal with opposition pressure and scouting.

The key will be how the team responds to that. Can guys like Maynard & Crisp maintain the run off HB if Murray is taken out of the game, and at what stage do move WHE and Stephenson more permanently down to the wing to provide it? And do we give him some rest throughout the year and time in VFL to focus on other skills (maybe some time deeper in defence?)
Hopefully we can do all that and continue to win more games than we lose.

That contest in the 3rd quarter in our defensive 50 was my favourite part of yesterday.

He was outnumbered two to one, undersized and 15 metres out from goal and he manages to belt it out of bounds 45 metres out. With his defensive ability, ability to put blokes in better positions and line breaking, he’s got everything you need in a defender.

Seedsman is a pea heart, Phillips the better player but needs to clean up disposal big time

I don't think anybody really thinks this anymore with how Seeds has come out for the Crows in the first 5 games this year.

The one thing I noticed is that they've got him into the gym which is something the fitness staff at Collingwood never did - he appears to be a lot bigger and stronger generally and especially with his core strength so, he's a lot more physical in general play now.

It does beg the question as to why we couldn't get a player like Seeds with obvious skill to develop enough both physically and mentally to be able to perform at a consistent AFL level.

Perhaps the shock of being discarded by us and getting a life line with a far more more professional outfit (both on- and off-field) was the trigger for Seeds "getting it", but I don't think anyone would argue that we could find a spot for the 2018 version in our best 22 now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Sam's a real shot for the Rising Star. I have a very, very detailed Brownlow medal spreadsheet going, which I have a points system going for every player... here is my top 10 atm...

Alex Witherden 152 Bris
Tom Doedee* 149 Adel
Riley Bonner* 147 PA
Sam Murray* 143 Coll
Jake Waterman 112 WCE
Bailey Banfield 105 Frem
Lachie Fogarty 101 Geel
Jaidyn Stephenson* 95 Coll
Callum Brown 90 Coll

Mitch Crowden 86 Frem

* indicated already being nominated.

FWIW, I have Ben Long currently ranked 18th, and he was given the nomination this past round, despite being the 19th best eligible player this past round (15th best as the four already nominated were ahead of him) ...It should have gone to Witherden. Bizarre choice, especially since I have who they chose so far as best, best, 4th best and best for their respective rounds.

Agree that he is a huge chance for the rising star, consistency is the key there and being a couple of years into his career that helps him I think. It's a long season, but if he plays like he has for the first 5 rounds he'll be among the places IMO.

Huge test for him this week though, Richmond's small forwards will make it difficult for Murray and the like. Wouldn't surprise me to see Townsend line up on him given the offensive threat he offers. Will be interesting to see how they play him.

Agree that he is a huge chance for the rising star, consistency is the key there and being a couple of years into his career that helps him I think. It's a long season, but if he plays like he has for the first 5 rounds he'll be among the places IMO.

Huge test for him this week though, Richmond's small forwards will make it difficult for Murray and the like. Wouldn't surprise me to see Townsend line up on him given the offensive threat he offers. Will be interesting to see how they play him.
would run rings around townsend, wouldnt need to get out of second gear to burn him off

1 like = 1 banter
b80dfc91107381cdf065737545b13e0a.jpg

Sent from my CPH1715 using Tapatalk

would run rings around townsend, wouldnt need to get out of second gear to burn him off

Yeah if he was just worried about Townsend it wouldn't be an issue, but the pressure comes from all directions against the Tigers smalls. Castagna, Butler, Edwards etc will bring the heat, so it will be a test.

I think you're about 3 years behind the times. By the way, coaches votes last week:

SYDNEY v ADELAIDE
10 Seedsman (Adel)
7 Atkins (Adel)
6 Walker (Adel)
3 Doedee (Adel)
2 Lynch (Adel)
1 Jones (Syd)
1 Laird (Adel)
I’m very up with the times.
I meant the game vs collingwood, the game where he hit more collingwood chests than crows. Squibbed it the grandfinal that was only 7-8 months ago too, so not seeing the whole ‘you’re about 3 years behind the times’

Anyway back on topic, Sam has been a revelation hasn't he?
Very good player.

A much much better version of Sinclair.

I think he’ll be far better than Lumumba too.

(I’ve always been so so on Lumumba. Great dash, but took that extra step too often.)

Very good player.

A much much better version of Sinclair.

I think he’ll be far better than Lumumba too.

(I’ve always been so so on Lumumba. Great dash, but took that extra step too often.)

Wow. Thats a huge call.

Harry was a star. Without taking those risks, those extra steps, he would have been nothing.

I actually want Murray to make the odd mistake occasionally. That means hes playing on the edge. If he has a career as good as Harry then I'll be happy. That said he seems more comfortable with the high ball and less of a high maintencance personality for the club to manage/babysit. So maybe he is ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back