Past Sam Naismith - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

r0_0_2864_1655_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Sam Naismith
An ACL rupture and a long list of complications wiped out Sam Naismith’s 2018 and 2019 seasons, fuelling the hunger of the chief Sydney Swans ruckman for a comeback 2020 campaign. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product is an excellent tap ruckman who’s shown promising glimpses since being drafted in November 2012, particularly as Sydney powered towards the 2016 Grand Final. The New South Welshman had always worn the number 35 before switching to the number 10 for season 2020 in search of a fresh start.

Sam Naismith
DOB: 16 July 1992
DEBUT: 2014
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2015 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

Have to wonder if they knew about this at the mid season draft. Explains the selection of McAndrew.

Absolutely feel for him, poor bloke.

But, it must be the end of the road you’d think. Clearly his body just can’t handle the rigors of the AFL program.

I’d be surprised if we didn’t see him retire this time around.

Maybe because the graft only failed after 15 months?

According to the Swans statement he only 'reported instability in his knee following his second appearance at VFL level.'
Is it even still defined as a 'graft' following recovery? The initial graft is just a conduit for tissue and blood supply to develop into a new ACL.

From what I understand a failed graft means its failed sometime during his recovery (could've been well before the 15th month, especially since there wasn't a particular incident that caused his instability). Usually a re-rupture of an ACL is called exactly that, a rupture.

Even so, he was diagnosed 2 weeks after reporting instability. That's concerning in itself.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to wonder if they knew about this at the mid season draft. Explains the selection of McAndrew.

Absolutely feel for him, poor bloke.

But, it must be the end of the road you’d think. Clearly his body just can’t handle the rigors of the AFL program.

I’d be surprised if we didn’t see him retire this time around.
Drafting a young ruck was the right decision even if he stayed fit.

Whoever signed him up before he’s even played a game this year should be sacked

ridiculous list management decision

Feel sorry for Sam as he seems like a really nice fella, but blind Freddy could see this (or something similar) coming

Reiterate someone should be sacked for that

Rotten luck 🤣,but I believe we can put Sam on the rookie list,then place him on the long term injury list and pick a replacement.

Wish we could de list and then re rookie. Who knows though

That’s terrible news.

Sinclair might have been given a life line as a result. For the sad loss Naismith has had in his personal life to just not get a break for his own career is cruel.

Wish him luck in yet another rehab.

Hope he and the club can come to a mutual decision for the best for both parties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Sam Naismith - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back