Past Sam Naismith - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

r0_0_2864_1655_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Sam Naismith
An ACL rupture and a long list of complications wiped out Sam Naismith’s 2018 and 2019 seasons, fuelling the hunger of the chief Sydney Swans ruckman for a comeback 2020 campaign. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product is an excellent tap ruckman who’s shown promising glimpses since being drafted in November 2012, particularly as Sydney powered towards the 2016 Grand Final. The New South Welshman had always worn the number 35 before switching to the number 10 for season 2020 in search of a fresh start.

Sam Naismith
DOB: 16 July 1992
DEBUT: 2014
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2015 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

30yo Sam;

I admire his optimism and resilience, but IMO we would be mad to offer a new deal
Depth on the list is fine, but the player has to be available when needed.
If he really wants to play again, perhaps we de-list, stick him in the VFL and give him half a season to prove he can still play and his body is up to it. If he fulfills both criteria, take him back onto the AFL list via the mid season draft. We essentially did that for Paddy and it's turned out ok 😉

Honestly if they are confident in his body and his fit I can see worse investments at minimum wage.

When his fit his a brilliant tap ruckman and gives us a different look.

Ladhams has his discipline issues, Hockey is getting older and has dodgy knees. We also have no Sinclair next year.

For depth (and maybe a bonus) I would give him one more year.

It’s as though this board is suddenly blessed with orthopaedic expertise.

Without Naismith, our only transition ruckman from Hickey to McAndrew is Ladhams. I’m not sure he’s shown his reliability. And the last thing the club needs is a player with disciplinary difficulties thinking of himself as irreplaceable.

It’s as though this board is suddenly blessed with orthopaedic expertise.

Without Naismith, our only transition ruckman from Hickey to McAndrew is Ladhams. I’m not sure he’s shown his reliability. And the last thing the club needs is a player with disciplinary difficulties thinking of himself as irreplaceable.
I think you make a very good argument as to why we have to de-list Naismith and trade / draft an AFL capable back-up to Hickey. Ladhams is a loose cannon, McAndrew nowhere near ready. We need a backup ruck who is not going to fall apart. Remember, big Sam has played about 30 games in 10 years. If not injured could be pushing 200-250 career games by now..............

I think you make a very good argument as to why we have to de-list Naismith and trade / draft an AFL capable back-up to Hickey. Ladhams is a loose cannon, McAndrew nowhere near ready. We need a backup ruck who is not going to fall apart. Remember, big Sam has played about 30 games in 10 years. If not injured could be pushing 200-250 career games by now..............
And yet, pending delistings, he remains on the list and seems to have some confidence that he may remain so. I’ll go with the surgeon’s advice on this one. Noting we haven’t an insight into that yet.

What ready made rucks are available?

And yet, pending delistings, he remains on the list and seems to have some confidence that he may remain so. I’ll go with the surgeon’s advice on this one. Noting we haven’t an insight into that yet.

What ready made rucks are available?
Bruce, without access to his files, my good mate who is a well known lower limb orthopod thinks he's cooked. But yes, you are correct, we wait for the medical advice.

Re ready made rucks, Meek would be my preference although GWS are apparently interested and he'd have a clearer run at the top job there then with us. If he goes to GWS, one of Flynn or Briggs should be available, wouldn't cost the earth, and be handy backups. Briggs is from Pennant Hills so is very local. He's 22, same age as McAndrew and has played a handful of games. Hayes from Port another potential option as he's dropped behind Lycett, Finlayson / Dixon combo and Teakle. I think Port rated him higher than Ladhams. Then of course there would be guys running around in state leagues and in the draft so I'm sure there are options around. Given Naismith would build up game time in the VFL anyway, makes no sense to give him a spot in the list, especially as we can add him midseason if he's looking good. That's when he'd be ready to play anyway.

Bruce, without access to his files, my good mate who is a well known lower limb orthopod thinks he's cooked. But yes, you are correct, we wait for the medical advice.

Re ready made rucks, Meek would be my preference although GWS are apparently interested and he'd have a clearer run at the top job there then with us. If he goes to GWS, one of Flynn or Briggs should be available, wouldn't cost the earth, and be handy backups. Briggs is from Pennant Hills so is very local. He's 22, same age as McAndrew and has played a handful of games. Hayes from Port another potential option as he's dropped behind Lycett, Finlayson / Dixon combo and Teakle. I think Port rated him higher than Ladhams. Then of course there would be guys running around in state leagues and in the draft so I'm sure there are options around. Given Naismith would build up game time in the VFL anyway, makes no sense to give him a spot in the list, especially as we can add him midseason if he's looking good. That's when he'd be ready to play anyway.
Right. But not one of those mentioned have shown they’re anywhere near Naismith as a tap ruckman.

If Sam is physically right, they’ll extend him. If not, they won’t. That they’ve given him the extra half season to get right suggests to me that they see enough upside to keep him on. The doubts on Ladhams serve only to reinforce this in my opinion.

It's obvious how absence makes the heart grow fonder. My memory of Naismith is of a giraffe who lumbered around and couldn't find the ball. I just checked his career stats and found that he averages 3.63 kicks, 5.3 handballs, and (wait for it) 1.87 marks per game. As a ruckman. One of the tallest on the entire field.
Yes, he may be a good tap ruckman, but after that he was a liability on the field.
After a career of 30 games in 8 seasons, i say we delist and give him a gig in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's obvious how absence makes the heart grow fonder. My memory of Naismith is of a giraffe who lumbered around and couldn't find the ball. I just checked his career stats and found that he averages 3.63 kicks, 5.3 handballs, and (wait for it) 1.87 marks per game. As a ruckman. One of the tallest on the entire field.
Yes, he may be a good tap ruckman, but after that he was a liability on the field.
After a career of 30 games in 8 seasons, i say we delist and give him a gig in the VFL.
I remember this and have pointed it out numerous times. Over the course of a few weeks, he was absolutely thrashed around the park by Ben McEvoy and Zac Smith back in maybe 2015? No mobility or agility (which would only be worse now) offered next to nothing around the park. Yes he could be effective at stoppages with his tap work but with the amount of running and agility required in today's game, I just can't see him being up to it. Plus he's 30. Let's just be sensible, play him in the VFL and take it from there.

They used to say this about Reid. And P McCartin. And Clarke.
No comparison. None of these guys has done 3 ACLs. Think about what Naismith wants to do. Come back, play a contact sport which involves running, changing direction and jumping at high speed. Yes Paddy has had concussion issues and could be one away from premature retirement. But at least he has two good knees.

Swans always seem to have that bloke on our list who is talented but always injured. Heath James then Johnson and now Naismith. If the Swans truly think he has something to offer I don't have an issue in keeping him around but it just feels like the writing is on the wall.

Swans always seem to have that bloke on our list who is talented but always injured. Heath James then Johnson and now Naismith. If the Swans truly think he has something to offer I don't have an issue in keeping him around but it just feels like the writing is on the wall.
Malceski, Reid…..

Hard but I reckon that's the right road. Problem is 3 rucks playing VFL. One too many at that age unless McAndrew gets delisted. Perhaps that's the plan?
Got me baffled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back