MRP / Trib. Sam Powell-Pepper bump on Mark Keane

Remove this Banner Ad

No surprise Port supporters bar a couple can find some way to get their player available for round 1.
SPP must be living under a rock to think he would be able to do that and not risk suspension.
Players do stupid things and if outside the rules they pay the consequences.
Some posters have mentioned it will go to the tribunal but that may not happen depending on the below new rule.

* If an offence is graded as Severe impact by the Match Review Officer but only the minimum penalty is sought, the MRO can prescribe a sanction and the player submit an early guilty plea without the case having to be referred directly to the Tribunal

2/3 weeks minimum for me, with what should be a stupid penalty added on. However, that criteria does not exist.

View attachment 1912103View attachment 1912104View attachment 1912105View attachment 1912106

lol at some of the comments here.

Lined him up etc.

On the clock you can see 1 sec elapsed while Keane went from running with the ball on one side of Rioli to tackled and turned into spp.

the amount of time from one of those frames to the other ie Keane getting turned into spp must have been .10 of a second. Anyone who has done any reaction time tests knows it’s hard enough to press a button your finger is already on in that time much less stop running slash change direction.

The expectation here is that spp should have been able to do what? Have precognition that Keane was going to be turned into him?

Does anyone think spp could have avoided that collision? If so put your hand up so we know you’re a grade A moron. It would have been impossible.

Spp is guilty of wrong place wrong time, and the worst look of the thing is he turned his shoulder in a fraction of a second impact that was instinctively protecting himself.

If he didn’t turn he still hits Keane high. And just as hard.

Only difference is spp would also have been concussed

If spp was a Victorian player he would get off.

Thats not a guess or wild claim on my part, there’s literal examples of it, one even getting talked about a lot right now.

Spp will get weeks for this, then later in the year a Victorian player will open someone up in an easily avoidable hit and get off yet again.

The still frames are helpful, allows you to pinpoint the exact moment salt and pepper decided to dogshot the crows player and knock him out.

There’s no gymnastics required other than by crows fans you want to paint an indigenous port player as a thug.

The stills are unequivocal proof that Rioli turned Keane in a tackle into spp and that there was only a fraction of a second (look at the clock in the stills) between this happening that spp had to react.

Yes the afl will make an example of a port player, especially after they’ve copped heat for letting a vic player get off after ending a players career in a completely unnecessary and avoidable collision.

No one is painting anyone as a thug because they are Aboriginal. They are simply commenting on the act.

No one is painting anyone as a thug because they are Aboriginal. They are simply commenting on the act.
Interesting that the Port OP mentions SPP being indigenous and somehow this is an attempt to deflect what he did.

Very ironic considering some of the Power supporters chose to throw bananas at, and some attacked Eddie Betts (and his family) on social media a couple of years ago.

Honestly, you can’t make this garbage up.

Yep
You can’t explain how this is any different to the Maynard/ Brayshaw incident can you?

SPPs intention was to bump, Maynard’s intention was to smother, so there’s a huge difference right there.

The rule has always been if you choose to bump, and make head contact, you’re in trouble. There is no grey area there with SPP. he elected to bump, not tackle and made contact to the head.

Maynard, and Sicily were different in that head contract was not a result of an intention to bump. Hence why both cases were so contentious.

So how is this incident different to Maynard/ Brayshaw incident?
Maynard’s defence was that he was attacking a contest he felt he could influence & turned his body late to protect himself before collision.
Here’s a hint, one was white & plays for a big vic club, other is black & plays for port

explain Kosi Pickett’s 1 match ban for hitting Cripps in the face then. What loading / discount he get for playing for a Melbourne but being dark skinned?

So how is this incident different to Maynard/ Brayshaw incident?
Maynard’s defence was that he was attacking a contest he felt he could influence & turned his body late to protect himself before collision.
Here’s a hint, one was white & plays for a big vic club, other is black & plays for port

What a ridiculous comment to suggest that this has anything to do with being Aboriginal. Please don’t pull the race card for crap like this, it’s embarrassing to those who have actually had their lives torn apart by racism. Aboriginal people become bigger targets when you make ridiculous comments like this.

I cant believe some are using the maynard incident as a reference to this one..

This was completely different circumstances..

Maynard jumped to spoil a football that was about to be kicked.. then braced for impact when he realised he was about to collide with the kicker..

But when you watch the camera footage taken from behind maynard you notice that as, and just after, Brayshaw kicked the footy he actually fall/leans into the path of Maynard.

That incident was a pure football incident.

This SPP/keane incident is a bloke with no intention to smother/tackle/go for the footy at all.. this is a “lets put some body work on the opponent with a heavy bump” moment from SPP..

And I’m certain SPP probably didnt want to contact with the head at all, wouldve wanted to get a body on body bump in..

but unfortunately he’s miss timed it and knocked Keane out.

As a player these days..
If you decide to go the bump and stuff it up and make head contact your gone..
only question now is how much the AFL want to use this as a “standard setter” for the rest of the season..

We’ll all find out when the amount of games off are handed down..

I cant believe some are using the maynard incident as a reference to this one..

This was completely different circumstances..

Maynard jumped to spoil a football that was about to be kicked.. then braced for impact when he realised he was about to collide with the kicker..

But when you watch the camera footage taken from behind maynard you notice that as, and just after, Brayshaw kicked the footy he actually fall/leans into the path of Maynard.

That incident was a pure football incident.

This SPP/keane incident is a bloke with no intention to smother/tackle/go for the footy at all.. this is a “lets put some body work on the opponent with a heavy bump” moment from SPP..

And I’m certain SPP probably didnt want to contact with the head at all, wouldve wanted to get a body on body bump in..

but unfortunately he’s miss timed it and knocked Keane out.

As a player these days..
If you decide to go the bump and stuff it up and make head contact your gone..
only question now is how much the AFL want to use this as a “standard setter” for the rest of the season..

We’ll all find out when the amount of games off are handed down..
It’ll come down to whether he had to bump or not. I say he didn’t.

Picketts bump on Bailey Smith last year was much worse and only got 2 weeks so I'd expect the same punishment for SPP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 weeks is appropriate imo

I definitely don't think there was any malice in it, but obviously he elected the bump and needs to be accountable for the fallout.

Jordan De-Goey got the same amount of weeks for a similar incident last year against the Eagles (Which also resulted in concussion)

Obviously though with the news of Angus Brayshaw quitting the game it's possible the AFL could make a greater example of this incident. Jon Ralph & David King certainly won't help.

(Funny considering David King is the same guy who said he wanted to "Put my arm around Gaff" after he literally broke a teenagers F'ing jaw)

That being said any additional weeks he gets would be more as a result of bad timing and nothing to do with any corruption.

SPP has put together career best form in the past 2 years as a forward and played every game in the past 2 seasons as well so this is obviously unfortunate for us as he's worked hard to finally earn his status in the new leadership group, but I'm still bullish he'll be good for the new leadership group in the long-term and hopefully hit the floor running with strong form whenever he returns.

Probably gets 3 weeks but as you can serve a week in pre-season now they might give him 4 weeks.

Elected to bump and concussed him so has to be weeks but watching it in real time it looks more foolish than malicious to me.

Also, the victimhood complex developed by many supporters of non-victorian teams has become just exhausting over the past couple of years. Not everything bad that happens to your team is due to vicbias.

I agree with your last point but if SPP did exactly what Maynard did he wouldn’t be playing the next week.

Interesting that the Port OP mentions SPP being indigenous and somehow this is an attempt to deflect what he did.

Very ironic considering some of the Power supporters chose to throw bananas at, and some attacked Eddie Betts (and his family) on social media a couple of years ago.

Honestly, you can’t make this garbage up.
Not going to defend a dog incident, but I'll also remind you that in the fallout from that same match your own mob also decided to send some racist remarks to Paddy Ryder.

And tbh I'm surprised you still care for Eddie anyway considering how many of your fans labelled him a "traitor" and "Trying to make money" after he released his own book and talked about the pre season camp. I'd like to think that was only your Facebook fans?

It's funny the few defenders of SPP here ( sane Port posters have called it stupid) think that because it all happened in a second or less is vindication that he only had time to brace for contact and protect himself

Driving the shoulder through a player is never a defensive action, anyone who has played footy at any kind of level can see the difference between when a player decides to let another player 'feel the heat' or when one is just bracing - it's immediately obvious - Our bodies make decisions very quickly when reacting to stimuli -

The fact it was a practice game, and drove the shoulder through, is a pretty dog act - The fact it hit him in the head makes after choosing to bump a player who would not have reasonably expected it as he was already in a tackle makes it so much worse

It's funny the few defenders of SPP here ( sane Port posters have called it stupid) think that because it all happened in a second or less is vindication that he only had time to brace for contact and protect himself

Driving the shoulder through a player is never a defensive action, anyone who has played footy at any kind of level can see the difference between when a player decides to let another player 'feel the heat' or when one is just bracing - it's immediately obvious - Our bodies make decisions very quickly when reacting to stimuli -

The fact it was a practice game, and drove the shoulder through, is a pretty dog act - The fact it hit him in the head makes after choosing to bump a player who would not have reasonably expected it as he was already in a tackle makes it so much worse
This is essentially it..

But I dont agree with some here that this was a “dog act”..

I think what happened was the crows were two goals up.. port hadnt kicked a goal and couldnt get any run and, being a senior player, SPP thought “I’ve got make a statement here and kick my team into gear”..

And putting a hard hit on an opponent is the best way to change the flow of the game in your favour sometimes..

All good if its body on body and thats probably what SPP wanted to do.. heavy body on body contact to change the flow of the game and try get his team mates to lift..

Unfortunately he miss judged/timed it and ended up putting his shoulder into Keane’s jawbone instead of his torso.

Choose to go the bump and fxxk it up these days and youre in trouble unfortunately.

Will the AFL take the opportunity to make an example of him and set the standard for the rest of the season given its the start of the season?..
Maybe..
but thats on SPP.

He’ll only have himself to blame if they do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back