Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
Whoever made SM disappear are extremely good at what they do or extremely lucky.
However, my money is on poor detective work charging someone with murder who may be able to have it reduced to manslaughter, in both this case and the Greg Lynn case.
It’s often dumb luck 😕

0bcc2fa9b1f48fb1681d6213352e015a.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this object is? Image uploaded by Couch Coach in post #5099.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it might be the phone wallet too but a news article which I can’t find now said that they did find other items of interest.
Edit. Sorry just read above posts.

Last edited:

Great read . Thanks to all contributing.

With the phone , 30m sounds a lot but it isn't far for someone half coordinated to launch a phone .
Phones are small enough to hold in one hand and create enough momentum ( think slinging it ) and have enough weight to carry a distance .
Your average park cricketer/baseballer/athlete would do it easy .

Would you think it's likely what I reckon happened in this case and that is POS accidentally hit SM with his car and she may or may not have still been alive when he took her body away.
Police complained about the cost of getting that phone data. Perhaps they should have a system where they apply to have it given to them under a court order...bit like a search warrant and they could even send their own expert in to retrieve the data they were looking for.
Why do you believe it's opportunistic and to allegedly commit murder for what purpose.

I’m not convinced on the car theory until they have an opportunity to inspect the body, even after this long there should be signs of impact prevalent. It has been fairly quiet on that front from the public comms.

My colleagues in LEA across different states don't typically have cost or legal issues accessing phone data, unless they are talking about the effort of sifting the raw data. A good data scientist would work with bulk data comfortably. I hadn’t heard that. There are organisational instruments applied to different Acts (Tejecommunications) that allow easier access to data.

From the little we know of this guy, I don’t believe he set out to kill anyone, the day, time of the incident and what we know doesn’t lend itself to someone who went out for a kill. I don’t have enough insight to think otherwise. And that in some way lends itself to an accident, which resulting in a decision by the POI to escalate to murder. If there are substances involved, then reasonable decisive making goes right out the window.

But who knows, this thing could have so much more background that could blow all our minds.

Interesting from A Current Affair, the reporter has Clearly Mentioned the Police have been to that property Multiple Times before yesterday …https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-...sing-mum/6562a60e-6c9b-48cc-92bf-66817b16aa95
You'll find the police went to it early and told the owners that they 'may' come back due to the proximity to the 5 pm 'ping', they did this to numerous properties along this road some months ago. Source is multiple property owners in this area, so therefore DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING A CURRENT AFFAIR HAS TO SAY!!!!!

I’m not convinced on the car theory until they have an opportunity to inspect the body, even after this long there should be signs of impact prevalent. It has been fairly quiet on that front from the public comms.

My colleagues in LEA across different states don't typically have cost or legal issues accessing phone data, unless they are talking about the effort of sifting the raw data. A good data scientist would work with bulk data comfortably. I hadn’t heard that. There are organisational instruments applied to different Acts (Tejecommunications) that allow easier access to data.

From the little we know of this guy, I don’t believe he set out to kill anyone, the day, time of the incident and what we know doesn’t lend itself to someone who went out for a kill. I don’t have enough insight to think otherwise. And that in some way lends itself to an accident, which resulting in a decision by the POI to escalate to murder. If there are substances involved, then reasonable decisive making goes right out the window.

But who knows, this thing could have so much more background that could blow all our minds.
If it was an accident then why shut up and not say anything? An opportunist is my opinion..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it was an accident then why shut up and not say anything? An opportunist is my opinion..
Could potentially be opportunistic but my thoughts on the possibility of an accident is that he panicked and knew he potentially had other charges pending and or was under the influence, which could have resulted in jail time so instead didn’t seek help and let her die. Just in my opinion.

Oh I 💕 a Whiteboard ! or an Excel sheet :straining:

Can I respectfully request a copy of ? For all of us please.

It’s just doodling on a pad, and I can promise with what’s (info) out there, it ain’t much at all.

My theories are no better or informed than anyone on here 🙏

If it was an accident then why shut up and not say anything? An opportunist is my opinion

Who knows what his legal team are telling him what to say, he’s no Greg Lynn that’s for sure

I think it will ! I think there is more to this

I understand the area. But he was quite happy to throw SM phone wallet into a dam with all her cards including her ID which could easily be found, and has. But why didn't he put the phone and any of her personal belongings hidden with her body ? He has to dump her body somewhere as well. To me, it looks like you having one a scatter brain and then a well-organised planned on hiding SM body.
Nah - the phone holds so much vital information. I wouldn’t leave them in the same place. I think he used the phone ping as a decoy.

You'll find the police went to it early and told the owners that they 'may' come back due to the proximity to the 5 pm 'ping', they did this to numerous properties along this road some months ago. Source is multiple property owners in this area, so therefore DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING A CURRENT AFFAIR HAS TO SAY!!!!!
Makes total sense to me

Could he have been on the property and thrown it from a different direction? Are the properties all fenced there? Just a thought. He may not have been on the road.

While it's possible, there would be risk of being spotted.
The white dot is the phone location. Blue dotted line is 30 meters. (20 meters from the fence line). So it's plausible to throw from the fence at least. But that western edge of the dam beside the fence is built up above the road, and that particular spot where the blue line crosses has high black berries as well.

Screenshot_20240531_201520_Maps~2.jpg

There are barbed wire fences and blackberries all along that fence line by the dam so I wouldn't attempt to cross there. You could go around but if it was me I wouldn't want to be seen wandering around that paddock in direct view of those two houses left and right on the horizon in the next image.

So next image is taken from about ten metres up the road (north of the blue line), where the road is higher and the blackberries are lower and we can actually see the dam.

Phone location marked with the red arrow is maybe 35 meters from the camera. It looks close only because it is zoomed in, also note that the 360* camera used for Google Street View is mounted high up on a pole above a vehicle.

I mean if you stopped a car on the verge, it'd be mostly hidden by the blackberries out of sight of the houses.
If you stood by the fence between those two white arrows centre frame, you'd just be able to see the dam and I guess throw the phone the 20 something meters to where it was found, as long as the case didn't open up and flail around like a butterfly.

Screenshot_20240531_202524_Maps~2.jpg

Last edited:
Probably lined it up 30m out, front on, then turned side on for the snap shot and sprayed it into the mud in the dam bank. Modern footballers...
Then the umpire called play on, he panicked and left the scene

While it's possible, there would be risk of being spotted.
Same for when he allegedly murdered her, so why would he suddenly be extra risk adverse when disposing of the phone?

Also with all the discussion on this point, how does this change anything whether he got out of the car and threw the phone, or he threw it from within the car? If he got out of the car and walked closer to the dam to do it, obviously there were no witnesses that came forward, otherwise they would have recovered the phone a long time ago.

how does this change anything whether he got out of the car and threw the phone, or he threw it from within the car?
None of the discussion or theories posted here change anything about the crime itself.

I think each person posting in this thread has questions about
  • Why the killer did what they did
  • How they did it
  • What might have been going through their mind at different stages of the crime (for example rushing to get rid of evidence vs carefully and methodically hiding evidence)
  • And consequently how each peice of evidence came to be. As this is the first peice of physical evidence directly linked to the deseased (at least as far as media and the general public are aware), it's a pretty significant discovery.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back