Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
Long time lurker, first time poster. I attended the hearing today. Disappointed about the adjournment out of self interest but amazed by the reported magnitude of evidence. I’m curious if anyone here expected an adjournment today?
I’m surprised that there is an ‘unprecedented’ volume of evidence.

Although there is no public knowledge of the type / amount of evidence they have to charge POS with murder, I think many have believed that there is a lack of evidence (I think this was based on the limited amount of info given to the public at the time of his arrest + finding SM’s phone?).

Considering Midvale shopping area is right there plus schools amongst other businesses I'd hazard a guess that there would be a vehicle in and out of the area (assuming he drove in and out of the area) or him entering/leaving on foot and returning later. Possibly trail cams also with similar.

Don't know why there'd would be an "unprecedented" amount though. It would seem counter intuitive to have heaps of useless vision.
That’s what bothers me about this. How can they have so much? And is that in reference to footage deemed relevant already or the entirety of what the police have collected? Does CCTV include dash cam footage whether it be his or others offered by people in the area? The defence calling the amount of footage unprecedented shocked me. And the brief which they’re yet to receive is sizeable too

I’m surprised that there is an ‘unprecedented’ volume of evidence.

Although there is no public knowledge of the type / amount of evidence they have to charge POS with murder, I think many have believed that there is a lack of evidence (I think this was based on the limited amount of info given to the public at the time of his arrest + finding SM’s phone?).
It’s easy to believe they have nothing when the police given so little up, and when the publicly executed searches have seemed to show up nothing. But the defence (I believe) said the brief of evidence is exceptionally big. Whether or not it persuades the magistrate to send it to trial is another thing

Considering Midvale shopping area is right there plus schools amongst other businesses I'd hazard a guess that there would be a vehicle in and out of the area (assuming he drove in and out of the area) or him entering/leaving on foot and returning later. Possibly trail cams also with similar.

Don't know why there'd would be an "unprecedented" amount though. It would seem counter intuitive to have heaps of useless vision.
Take a lot of CCTV footage from a number of different sources; maybe a whole day of her disappearance and a day or two after if they were claiming the body or evidence was moved

At least 24 hours per camera (?) and even 10 cameras with footage there's 240 hours or 30 days for the defence to go through second by second.

The CCTV should be able to track the offender's movements through Ballarat on the day

This is raw footage; if he is committed for trial, the jury will probablty only see an edited and condensed footage.

Add to that his and the victim's phone locations and "pings" via triangulation and compare it to the timed CCTV footage could add up to a compelling record of his movements during the day

The police have already done this, the defence have to do it too

My educates guess (and this is no way should be considered a statement of fact) is the coppers have something like below or similar:

SM's phone data / her route
SM's fitness watch data showing her heart rate stopping
POS mobile data geo located to the same area at the same time.
POS entering the area early morning, leaving after the alleged encounter on camera.
POS returning later, leaving and heading south on cameea. Victims phone data movements / POS phone data
Possible DNA traces of SM in POS's vehicle.

Not sure why everybody is guessing as to what they have LOL.? What today says to me is that they have way more evidence than what we the public realised. If both the prosecution and defense are pushing for an extension in time you can bet they have the evidence. CCTV footage could be damming but it explains why they are so sure he has killed Samantha in conjunction with other evidence they have, phone, watch data etc. Who knows we aren't going to know until the case is up and running and that won't be until next year. So in the meantime that should keep these threads busy for a long long long time.! :think:

Take a lot of CCTV footage from a number of different sources; maybe a whole day of her disappearance and a day or two after if they were claiming the body or evidence was moved

At least 24 hours per camera (?) and even 10 cameras with footage there's 240 hours or 30 days for the defence to go through second by second.

The CCTV should be able to track the offender's movements through Ballarat on the day

This is raw footage; if he is committed for trial, the jury will probablty only see an edited and condensed footage.

Add to that his and the victim's phone locations and "pings" via triangulation and compare it to the timed CCTV footage could add up to a compelling record of his movements during the day

The police have already done this, the defence have to do it too
Don't get Zidane98 started on phone pings..! Or conversely do get him started..! LOL :p

Not sure why everybody is guessing as to what they have LOL.? What today says to me is that they have way more evidence than what we the public realised. If both the prosecution and defense are pushing for an extension in time you can bet they have the evidence. CCTV footage could be damming but it explains why they are so sure he has killed Samantha in conjunction with other evidence they have, phone, watch data etc. Who knows we aren't going to know until the case is up and running and that won't be until next year. So in the meantime that should keep these threads busy for a long long long time.! :think:
I’m personally not surprised how much evidence they have. They have enough to declare SM deceased and have charged POS.

I’m personally not surprised how much evidence they have. They have enough to declare SM deceased and have charged POS.
One could almost assume they have more than what they had on Greg Lynn? Obviously different types of evidence. CCTV cameras are everywhere nowadays. It suggests that they have Stephenson cornered into an area where he can't argue he wasn't there IMO. They have him next to Samantha in a small area and the video suggesting his exact movements whilst her health data changes rapidly etc. He could of been filmed carrying something? Hey I can't be guessing that's for everyone else LOL..!

I wouldn't be getting hung up on the "volume" of evidence.
Convictions are based on the quality of evidence, not quantity.
Hours and hours of CCTV footage from multiple cameras, pages and pages of phone pings do not prove anything unless they can be indisputably linked to the prosecution's theory or account of events.
On the other hand, a single frame captured or a couple of isolated phone pings may on their own be enough to prove guilt.

An observed "unprecedented" large volume of "evidence" (and it is yet to be determined whether such "evidence" will actually be presented by the prosecution, and is deemed admissible) indicates (to me at least) that maybe the police and prosecution do not have one killer "silver bullet" piece of evidence, and therefore their case may not be as strong as others believe it to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long time lurker, first time poster. I attended the hearing today. Disappointed about the adjournment out of self interest but amazed by the reported magnitude of evidence. I’m curious if anyone here expected an adjournment today?
Pretty standard but long delay after given 5 months. No guarantee prelim start in November.
WTF that CCTV wasn't in the brief and the prosecutor will provide in due course.
Magistrate need to crack down on this and tell them to hand it over immediately. Brief should've been completed.
CCTV of what exactly though?
Be interesting. Matching points on phone location?? Traffic cams locating his car??
Who knows but still has to link to timeline and SMs movements. Curious how??
Probably the delay = no.body= no.matching thread. Why a big deal over the phone finding perhaps??
Regardless any trial won't be till Feb 2026 minimum. Way to big a delay. Crown has a case or it doesn't. Magistrate should've ruled on turning over all evidence.

Were his family there?

Pretty standard but long delay after given 5 months. No guarantee prelim start in November.
WTF that CCTV wasn't in the brief and the prosecutor will provide in due course.
Magistrate need to crack down on this and tell them to hand it over immediately. Brief should've been completed.

Be interesting. Matching points on phone location?? Traffic cams locating his car??
Who knows but still has to link to timeline and SMs movements. Curious how??
Probably the delay = no.body= no.matching thread. Why a big deal over the phone finding perhaps??
Regardless any trial won't be till Feb 2026 minimum. Way to big a delay. Crown has a case or it doesn't. Magistrate should've ruled on turning over all evidence.
How much will come from her home security ? We have only seen a very ordinary still image of her holding a bag of dog poo with no date or time on the image

Does anyone local know how many little dams would be in that path of the dam they found the phone.
There must be some reason they decided to search that dam, witness, dashcam...?

How much will come from her home security ? We have only seen a very ordinary still image of her holding a bag of dog poo with no date or time on the image
No idea. That will be part imo.as it is CCTV.
It dies establish her movement.
If I'm the defence I'd want it. As in let's verify she actually went for a run. Her phone may have but is there footage of her jogging out?
There will be Min 48 hours of footage. Need every part of 3 months to go through.
But it's why I'm critical of delay. 5 months already Brief should've been finalised and handed over today.
This reeks of police going too early than trying to chuck everything in at the last minute.
But unusual and a shocking case. I get there was panic and probably pressure for results but you have to have an air tight case. If countries like the UK can have the whole thing over in months why can't we?

If I'm the defence I'd want it. As in let's verify she actually went for a run. Her phone may have but is there footage of her jogging out?
There will be Min 48 hours of footage. Need every part of 3 months to go through.
But it's why I'm critical of delay. 5 months already Brief should've been finalised and handed over today.
This reeks of police going too early than trying to chuck everything in at the last minute.
But unusual and a shocking case. I get there was panic and probably pressure for results but you have to have an air tight case. If countries like the UK can have the whole thing over in months why can't we?
There might be reasons that we aren't privy to, he doesn't sound in a hurry to want to get out of there

There might be reasons that we aren't privy to, he doesn't sound in a hurry to want to get out of there
Who doesn't?
POS?
Unfortunately for him it's not a matter of screaming from the rooftops innocence and let me out.
He is shutting up.under very good legal advice. A preliminary is tactical for both sides but the defence to.lock witnesses and evidence down. It's always a rubber stamp
A trial is 2 years away. Which is ridiculous. For SMs family and wanting to know what happened and POS who under the law is innocent and very well may actually be innocent and is wasting away in custody while the police stall and the legal system has its thumb up its arse.

It’s not uncommon for compiling a brief of evidence to take a lengthy amount of time. It could mean they have a large amount of evidence and are being extremely thorough.

It's not like there is anything POS or his legal team can possibly do to get him out of remand. Totally out of his control and in the hands of police, prosecution and courts.

Not a great situation when you have not even had a trial, or even received details of the charges and accusations laid against you.

It's not like there is anything POS or his legal team can possibly do to get him out of remand. Totally out of his control and in the hands of police, prosecution and courts.

Not a great situation when you have not even had a trial, or even received details of the charges and accusations laid against you.

That's true, but his barrister could mention that POS wants to get this underway quickly to clear his name etc... He has been held in custody now for five months.

He isn't going anywhere for a considerable time but with the law nowadays it's no surprise things take so long. Digital Data which includes CCTV plays a huge part in trials nowadays. It creates complications but remember the significance of DNA. Digital Data is just another tool for the Prosecution. As for DNA whilst there has been no mention I'm tipping they have DNA relating to Stephenson IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back