SANFL Clubs - not the bad guys

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong, as usual.

Probably the first thing you've got right. They're broke too. Over paying players, lost major sponsor and declining crowd numbers. They're in the poo as well having to cancel all night games at Playford Alive Oval. This is a team coming off 11 straight GF appearnces too so what chances do the other 8 clubs have? Just as well the AFL clubs can prop them up... for the time being ;)

Probably the first thing you've got right. They're broke too. Over paying players, lost major sponsor and declining crowd numbers. They're in the poo as well having to cancel all night games at Playford Alive Oval. This is a team coming off 11 straight GF appearnces too so what chances do the other 8 clubs have? Just as well the AFL clubs can prop them up... for the time being ;)

I meant to mulit-quote the post about SANFL clubs and profits with this which has already been answered in this thread.

christoh - No troll, who are the SANFL appointed board members at Port? Somebody said Duncanson was one, that isn't right, is it :confused:

Duncanson is appointed in the same way Trigg is to the AFC.

Bomberclifford got the names right.

4 SANFL appointed board members
4 PAFC member elcted board members
provision for 2 special skill board members appointed by PAFC and SANFL.

The Adelaide Football Club is:

5 SANFL appointed board members
Upto 3 member elected directors*

* Must be approved by the SAFC.

http://www.sanfl.com.au/the_sanfl/about_the_sanfl/

check the table at the bottom of the link.

Safety margin for the Crows has diminished a lot as well; while we might not get sub 20k crowds like Port do, we rarely get the 45k plus that we did either - which is where I'd suggest a lot of that margin has gone.

As I've said, I think they'll review the entire setup when the Adelaide Oval redevelopment is finally underway; in the meantime, I think it's a case of everybody trying to protect their current position - which is obviously far from ideal.

christoh - No troll, who are the SANFL appointed board members at Port? Somebody said Duncanson was one, that isn't right, is it :confused:

The crows dont get anywhere near 40k anymore. The typical crowd figure has now dropped to low to mid 30k. The AFC crowds have been in decline each year since 2005. Also how is it that a club with 70% state support are about to make a loss of between $1m to $2m? Mark Riccuitio said 2 nights ago on MMM, that the Crows wont make another profit until AO. Therefore if the Crows cannot make a profit, what is it telling, about the serious state of the governance of footy in SA.

The crows dont get anywhere near 40k anymore. The typical crowd figure has now dropped to low to mid 30k. The AFC crowds have been in decline each year since 2005. Also how is it that a club with 70% state support are about to make a loss of between $1m to $2m? Mark Riccuitio said 2 nights ago on MMM, that the Crows wont make another profit until AO. Therefore if the Crows cannot make a profit, what is it telling, about the serious state of the governance of footy in SA.

There is no evidence of $1M to $2M this year just guesswork, by pretty uninformed guessers. Take away the Westpac Centre and injured player payments and they'd have made a profit.

We got 42k + in round 1. The only reason why we get under that is the 'AAMI is a shithole' campaign culminating in worsening timeslots and live against the gates. Our home attendances are up on last year and the average of 35,764 was the lowest in our history, prior to that nothing below 38,000 on average. That's hardly 'low to mid 30K'.

The attendance may be a drop since 2005, but 2006, 2007 and 2008 were all higher than 2004. 2009 was an on par year dating all the way back to 1992 and we've had two injury ravaged seasons since.

If the Crows got the draw they should or could get, then they'd make a profit easily. But it's pretty easy to manipulate something like a draw to assist in engineering a move to another ground and collect your big personal bonus on the way. i could manufacture Port to have 11 home games a year and get nothing more than 18,000 if I so chose and controlled the fixture, it's easy.

He also said he pulled that out of his arse and had no idea.

you guys need to give it a rest..

The Eagles, Bears and Crows were all VFL/AFL expansion attempts with varied results.

"to prop up their failing adminsistration and Clubs"

This statement is a flat out joke, and displays a lack of knowedge of history in this respect.

Whilst the 'existing' clubs in the VFL/AFL were a spectrum of success/failure off field, the expansion into WA, SA and QLD was driven by a desire to expand the game, not support existing clubs.

This is flat out PROVEN by the fact that AFTER such expansion, Fitzroy dissapeared, Melbourne and Hawthorn near merged and North was offered relocation to the GC..... how many more??

You have my vote sir.

I wonder, are you aware of which body prevents this?

Mate I don't dispute that the SANFL looked after themselves. But when you turn to 'interest of the game'..... the SANFL are a disgrace.

Is rapist the right term? I'd say leeches with a second thought.

This would frustrate me if I wasn't so used to it - Demetriou is an excellent administrator. Disagree, and for lack of a better way to convey, you're a peon. You simply know nothing of administration.

Try to argue, and I will blow you away with factual figures - clean and simple as that. So please don't.

You love your team.... you don't get any argument from me.

As you should...

The same? You know absolutely nothing about Hawthorn, Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton et al.

If you did, you wouldn't be silly enough to make a statement like that.

Sorry, wasn't the SANFL a national body, equally responsible for any and all development of the game outside of SA?

Run by idiots.....

$1.1b AUD

Find me someone willing to pay the same for your product mate.

You are currently enjoying the benfits of a national league, supporting a team created by the national league, and you criticise the hand that feeds you.

MODS, please forgive me for the statement is clear as water:

You know NOTHING about football - you're a peon that blindly follows a side and understands little to nothing about the machinations that provide it.

You deadset tool, for starters I'd know more about Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon than you'd ever know about Adelaide, West Coast, Norwood, East Fremantle and so on.

But knowing the Clubs is irrlevant to my 'vanilla' comment, what the SANFL and WAFL are resistant to is this rubbish;
2eb9u8w.png

why on earth would 2 very proud footballing States agree to being lumped into this branding, no way should they be forced into becoming just another part of the AFL. Release the AFL Clubs by all means, but no way should that come with losing their own identity.

And if you reckon that the VFL coming cap in hand to the SANFL in 1982 and 1984 begging for us to enter their league was for 'expansion' and not to inject cash into your failing comp then you're as deluded as 99% of all Victorians who post on this forum.

Care to hazard a guess when the SANFL registered the name 'Adelaide Football Club' and for what purpose?

While Victorian Clubs were bleeding money in a bizarre attempt to keep up with the Jones' they starting spending money they didn't have, on players they couldn't afford from WA, SA and so forth. The SANFL knocked the VFL back not once, but twice before they finally entered under an 'AFL' banner as they refused to enter a 'VFL' like WCE and Brisbane had.

Collingwood were less than a week away from going under. In April 1986 Collingwood were $3.5M in debt, the banks had ordered they close the doors. The players were all ordered to take a 20% pay cut or leave. The New Magpies then turned to shit with McDonald and his cronies going on a spending spree that would make Rose Hancock proud, Bain was sacked and Rose stood down after 3 rounds.

But yeah, whilst Collingwood, Collingwood!! were broke and going under, their only consideration was 'expansion' and not the multi million dollar license fees and survival :rolleyes:

And lets not go getting our skirts blown up by the $1.125B, the NRL are just about to sign a $1B deal too, and the vast majority of AFL fans reckon they're run by idiot muppets too. A trained chimp could have got that deal.

Just for an opposing and impartial point of view I think it'd be a great idea if the SANFL lowered the salary cap. Considering the whole point of a salary cap is to slightly even out the competition, it obviously isn't working as Centrals just keep on winning!

Dropping it would allow for better development of young local talent and I'd hazard a guess that both Port and the Crows would much rather see the money they lose to the SANFL used to help develop kids than being used to buy players from other states.

For example over the last few years S.A have been contributing fewer draftees, the average is about 8-10 over the past 5 years (the Oakleigh Chargers produced 7 alone last year). Imagine if each club were to remove enough from the salary cap to employ a top notch development officer to work with the under 21's. With better player development rather than a higher salary cap the S.A recruitment could rise to 15 which will no doubt benefit the Power and Crows in the long run. Because it means that more kids could look at coming home in the future and more S.A talent would stay with the local clubs.....

Why should the SANFL clubs push more money into development? All that leads to is more players for the AFL to siphon off. Where is the benefit for the SANFL clubs in that? Having their players playing for Port or the Crows doesn't actually help them do what they exist to do - win premierships.

The WAFL and the SANFL still exist as competitions in their own right. They are not merely there for the leftovers of their state's AFL clubs players to get some match practice and they are not there merely to produce AFL draftees. Victorian football may have sold out completely, but the rest of the country would like to hold onto their proud competitions.

Tell me something, South Australians. Is the Adelaide Oval really the holy grail that everybody's been making it out to be?

Sure, it's nice, new, close to the city, better than Football Park, but I get the impression from the media that they expect that it will allow the status quo to continue. Surely it's just wallpaper over the cracks, isn't it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell me something, South Australians. Is the Adelaide Oval really the holy grail that everybody's been making it out to be?

Sure, it's nice, new, close to the city, better than Football Park, but I get the impression from the media that they expect that it will allow the status quo to continue. Surely it's just wallpaper over the cracks, isn't it?

it isn't

it is going to be a damn hard job to retain supporters going to the game - especially with against the gate coverage.

hence the reduced crowd projections.

In terms of income the straight rental system is apparently going to help both clubs, I just wouldn't want to get less than the breakeven....

Nope, in fact on the radio this morning the figure of 31,000 was given as the figure that would be needed to be seeing any benefit.

So in other words, higher than at AAMI stadium. Unsurprising if true. The ground has the ability to make the Crows a fortune.

Why don't Port supporters get off their couches and support their team. 36K members and yet they get 20K to a game and it is not like 10K of those are interstate.
Take a look through the Port v Carlton Preview thread to see a great list of excuses.
1. Game starts at 4.10pm - oh no the world is doomed.
2. Its gonna rain - well it is a winter sport
3. The socceroos are playing a friendly - wtf

Easy to blame the SANFL when really it is Port and their front running supporters fault.

Nope, in fact on the radio this morning the figure of 31,000 was given as the figure that would be needed to be seeing any benefit.

So in other words, higher than at AAMI stadium. Unsurprising if true. The ground has the ability to make the Crows a fortune.

I think we need a Crows thread on if this thing is ever going to get over the line.:D

Why don't Port supporters get off their couches and support their team. 36K members and yet they get 20K to a game and it is not like 10K of those are interstate.
Take a look through the Port v Carlton Preview thread to see a great list of excuses.
1. Game starts at 4.10pm - oh no the world is doomed.
2. Its gonna rain - well it is a winter sport
3. The socceroos are playing a friendly - wtf

Easy to blame the SANFL when really it is Port and their front running supporters fault.

Port get screwed by the time and the fixtures, they are the lunch time Mothers Day lacky, the Freo on a sunday lacky (or any low drawing crowd)

Don't get me wrong, Port have a massive management problem and have for a good 10 years, but they do (like Adelaide) have a trouble with hit house time slots.

as for the Socceroos, that will be interesting - I've just handed free tickets to 3 Port fans to the soccer so guess where they are going.

Whoa whoa whoa.....

The SANFL..

ARE THE BAD GUYS!

Seriously, the patience of the AFL, with what is effectively a competing governing body has been extreme.

The SANFL acts in the interest of the SANFL.

The AFL acts in the interests of the game.

What staggers me at the moment is that the AFL are in a position to utterly bury the SANFL.

And yet they choose not to do so.

Why?

Because it's in the interest of the game.

The SANFL needs to stop acting like a damn child.....

Grow up.

What a load of garbage. The SANFL ultimately puts the money back into grass roots football!

I completely sympathize with Ports situation, but I agree with the OP. They aren't the bad guys. The SANFL puts a shit load back into football as opposed to a money hungry footballing corporation (AFL).

Not the holy grail at all.

For mine, it will make the AFC significantly stronger, and will benefit cricket in the state greatly.

For Port its an opportunity to set a new direction. Things are going majorly wrong down there. What exactly is going wrong i can't say. I don't think anyone can. But one gets the feeling image and perception plays a large part. A new home and one would hope for their sake, a new bunch of players, will help them onto the road to recovery.

When I see 1 port fan admit it isn't just the SANFL faults I'll stop

until then i'm happy to defend the South Australian Football public.

You don't think we know we need better attendance? I do everything I can to get all my mates along to the footy and get them signed up as members.

Until I see 1 Norwood/Glenelg/Sturt/Crows supporter not completely blame Port Adelaide for everything that is/has gone wrong and not refrence 1990 or 1995 then I'll continue to blame the SANFL.

You don't think we know we need better attendance? I do everything I can to get all my mates along to the footy and get them signed up as members.

Until I see 1 Norwood/Glenelg/Sturt/Crows supporter not completely blame Port Adelaide for everything that is/has gone wrong and not refrence 1990 or 1995 then I'll continue to blame the SANFL.

I couldn't give a toss about that happened pre 2010 let alone what happened last century

it isn't 100% Port fans fault either - there is surely a small amount of blame (Iguess for just not rocking up) but a vast majority is at the fee of the Port Management

and a fair bit to do with your number 1 supporter in Rucci :p

I couldn't give a toss about that happened pre 2010 let alone what happened last century

it isn't 100% Port fans fault either - there is surely a small amount of blame (Iguess for just not rocking up) but a vast majority is at the fee of the Port Management

and a fair bit to do with your number 1 supporter in Rucci :p
What is it with this guy, btw? I keep hearing this guy's name over and over and over. Is he some South Australian footballing journo messiah or something?

Until I see 1 Norwood/Glenelg/Sturt/Crows supporter not completely blame Port Adelaide for everything that is/has gone wrong

when does that happen?

Most Crows fans point the finger solely at the AFL. After a decade plus of both of our Clubs putting in their pre-season wishlists they constantly get ignored.

Shit timelsots, bugger all FTA, blatant favourtism to Vic CLubs that deliver bonuses to AFL execs by loading up 'blockbuster games' rather than actually deliver a fair and reasoned comp.

Port are largely a mild annoyance. The Crows have manged to keep their heads above water despite the AFL's seemingly non to subtle attack on the SANFL and AAMI stadium.

Don't get me wrong, Port have a massive management problem and have for a good 10 years, but they do (like Adelaide) have a trouble with hit house time slots.

Utter garbage. Saying it repeatedly doesn't make it true.

The Port Adelaide AFL presidents and CEOs have all done extraordinary work for the club despite the unique and debilitating challenges that exist in South Australia.

If you're going to drag their names through the dirt you should at the very least enilighten us to a few specifics of this 10 years of poor management and more importantly how it is exclusive of any influence from the SANFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

SANFL Clubs - not the bad guys

Remove this Banner Ad

Back