Saturday: Northern Bullants v Port Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Won by 43 points, and the commentators are giving Yaz a wrap. Getting closer and closer to a senior call up I would think.
Awesome result. :thumbsu:

How many goals did Yarran end up with?

Kicked 3 mate.
All in the 1st half, but the commentators were very very impressed with his game.
Awesome news. Cheers, mate. :thumbsu:

Do you reckon' he'd be played in the Forward line or (just assuming that he played well all around going on other's posts) through the Midfield?

Bullants V Port Melbourne Wrap

Bullants: 17.9.111
Port Melbourne: 9.14.68

Bullants Best: Hadley, Bentley, Yarran, M.Austin, Robinson, Hampson, Brown, Anderson
Port Melbourne Best: Number 8 was ok across half back, but thats it. but who cares really.

Northern Bullants

B Iacobucci Hartlett Jo. Bannister
HB Anderson M. Austin Vansittart
C Browne Hadley Ellard
HF Fisher Saddington Yarran
F Boundy McCorkell Morgan
R Hampson Robinson Bentley

Int Ja. Bannister Spiteri S. Austin Power Gianfagna

23 man team, 5 on the bench. New rule, not exactly sure what it is but your allowed to play 5 on the bench if the 5th player (Power) is under 18.5 and hasnt played seniors before...something along those lines.

The good news...every single bullants player beat their opponent.
The bad news...there is none

Alright so for todays game the 12-10 rule was in effect. Bullants started the game kicking into a 5 goal wind at Nab oval. The first bounce started with hammo putting it straight down the throat of hadley and from there the Ants dominated.

David Ellard. When the game was up for grabs in the first quarter Davey Ellard was absolutely sensational, he started wing/half forward and when he pushed forward he kicked 2 goals. His contested footy at the stoppages was sublime and wouldve had more clearances himself than port did for the whole quarter. his first quarter was by far the best footy he (or anyone at the ants) has played in 2 years. only down side for ellard is that he copped a hard tag in the second quarter and didnt get near it, but did get involved again in the second half. 7/10

Richard Hadley.Hadley was good all day. he was good in close and when he got out on his own, tackled and shepparded well when he was required to. Hadley was a class above everyone else and it showed. with his 4quarter effort he did diserve the bog medal. would be unlucky to not be playing for carlton next week. 9/10

Greg Bentley. Bentley was great. along with Hadley he stood out with his bigger body. personally i didnt rate bentleys kicking, but no-one could complain today. he didnt miss any easy targets by foot and his decision making was very good. he used his bigger frame to his advantage especially in close and was used as the link player in transaction going forward. he kicked 2 goals, 1 on the left from 50m and the other on the right from 60m. 9/10

Chris Yarran. Just like everyone else at the ground i also had the white stains running down my leg. you could not ask anymore of him today. i now know why we took him ahead of rich. he chased and chased then tackled, then he got back up and chased again! he had plenty of tackles and actually had an element of hardness to his game today, not sure where this part of his game had been up until today. when he got the footy it genuinely looked like something was going to happen. he played 20% midfield 80% forward. did start to run out of legs late in the 3rd & 4th quarters but it wasnt an isuue. he kicked 3 and the one where he kicked it over his head came straight out of his ass. 9/10

Mark Austin. ozzy was really good. it must be said that he probably didnt play on a recognised vfl player but i cant remember him losing a contest all day. he and hartlet worked really well together down back. Austin played CHB, and played as the general. spoiling was excellent and he was used on the way out of the back 50. Hopefully he continues to play with the same confidence in the future. 9/10

Mitch Robinson. mitch really added some hardness and grunt to the team today. he did all of the team things and played like he did against richmond & brisbane. like yarran he did tire a little late in the 3rd & 4th, but in saying that he did kick a wind assisted goal from 60m in the last. he had roughly 20 touches. Again like yarran you couldnt ask anymore for the role he was playing. he played 50% midfield 50% as the defensive half forward. 8/10

Shaun Hampson. Last week hammer rucked against no-one and he dominated, this week he played against dylan mclaren and david fanning. today in the first half he was playing all over the port pair, winning probably 75-80% of hit outs. but the most impressive part from hammer was his second efforts. on several occasions hed contest the ruck then follow up by tackling or blocking. with hampson we know that he will kick it straight to the opposition once in a game and dropp one sitter and that did happen today but these mistakes are becoming far less frequent. when he completely cuts this out of his game then he'll be something special, but he is on his way. for mine he along with aaron joseph are the biggest improvers at the club over the summer. in the 3rd quarter he came off the ground and did a few run throughs with the doc, it looked as though he may have rolled an ankle, came back on and ran out the game. he wasnt as effective after he came off but he still outclassed mclaren and fanning. 8/10

Steven Brown. Browny rolled thorugh the midfield, half forward and half back. he was good he ran all day and did all the team things as he always does. without completely dominating he was consistant throughout the whole game. He is progressing well and continues to just be tough, he looks certain to have a future at carlton for a long time. 8/10

Joe Anderson. just like evryone else today, joey was really good. left his man to be third up in marking contests, he spoiled well and was very team orientated. he provided plenty of run all day from down back and is starting to play across half back really well looks to be finding his niche.
7.5/10

Adam Harlett. Harts played at fullback today on Bonadidio. although it was a hard day for deep full forwards, hartlett convincingly won this contest and most 1 0n 1 contest between them. i dont mind seeing him play at FB, because he is big enough to play on the big FF, while it also allows Austin to play at CHB. he also looks more than comfortable kicking in after a point. today he did get plenty of help from joey and ozzy, but i think he looks alright down back. he did have a couple of brain fades but thats just from a lack of experience playing in the position. harts looks as tho he has more chance of playing and having a career at FB rather than CHF, so im hoping the continue to play him there. 7/10

Jordan Bannister. Banno again was solid in the back half and it seems as though he has been pigeon holed for the rest of the season and will be an experienced head with saddo who provide some direction and a cool head down back. banno did his job as he always does without being flashy but am finding it really hard to see him in navy blue again. today he read the play better than anyone in the back half and his skills were as good as anyones. he is playing really good solid vfl footy and that probably sums up banno. 7.5/10

Brad Fisher. Fish didnt do enough today to put himself into contention for selection. The effort and work rate was definately there from him but it just wasnt a day for deep forwards, just far to windy. he had limited opportunities so its not fair to judge him harshly on his form today. he was in no way bad or beaten by his opponent but forwards are meant to kick goals and he didnt. 6.5

Iacobucci 6
Z. Vansittart 7.5
Saddington 7.5
Boundy 7.5
McCorkell 7.5
Morgan 8
Ja. Bannister 6
Spiteri 5
S. Austin 6.5
Power 2.5
Gianfagna 5

Today was the most team orientated i have seen the ants play for some years. they applied plenty of pressure when they didnt have the ball and everybody put the body on the line for the team when they needed. the boys that played in the back half worked especially hard to give support to a team mate. perhaps the penny has dropped that it is the team things that will get you a game in the navy. eqally as impressive were the foot skills. on a day like today they could have been forgiven for spraying the footy everywhere, but the feild kicking and kiscking at goal was exceptional considering the conditions.

obviously the Bullants have major consistancy issues but with any luck we might be able to sustain the patch of form for a bit longer than a week.

yep this is an extremely positive report but you can only report what happens

cheers

Re: Bullants V Port Melbourne Wrap

HCCT, that's a sensational effort. I knew the first game I missed Yarran would pull some magic. This is like the good old days with our reserves busting down the door for a game. Great report, must have been stinking conditions. Much appreciated. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to a match report on another forum, Wes Bilney is a cousin of Eddie Betts.

Bilney has kicked 14 goals in two games this year.

2009 VFL Reserves

Northern Bullants 3.2 10.6 11.8 16.13 (109)
Port Melbourne 3.7 4.9 8.11 10.12 (72)

GOALS:Northern Bullants: Bilney 6 Meese 3 Everington 2 Hill Annakis Bartholomew Micevski Saad

Don't tell EddieBettsIsAChamp...

Yarran, been hearing about that goal all day. Do desperately want to see it. I want Yarran in next week, but would probably need some like Wiggins to have a shocker. Hammer, he's on his way. And guys like Hadley should only play in the 2s once.

Yarran, been hearing about that goal all day. Do desperately want to see it. I want Yarran in next week, but would probably need some like Wiggins to have a shocker. Hammer, he's on his way. And guys like Hadley should only play in the 2s once.

I want to see him string a few good games together before we promote him to the seniors.

Herecomesthetruth
Thankyou
Great wrap of a great game by the Ants
We all knew that competition brings out the best in people
Great that Ellard showed signs
Great Yarran did the same
Hadley Austin and Mitch are the future without a doubt but MUST work hard
Come on Browne get into it
Great signs
Hope that the Ants and Mr Pratt can carry the Blues fwd tomorrow
Awesome wrap