SCAMS

Remove this Banner Ad

End of financial year scams too

One of them got me for $30 a couple of weeks ago. I got a text message saying I owed money for a toll and I knew I did, so I paid it, note to self to not pay those things when I'm in bed half asleep.

I got scammed.

One of them got me for $30 a couple of weeks ago. I got a text message saying I owed money for a toll and I knew I did, so I paid it, note to self to not pay those things when I'm in bed half asleep.

I got scammed.
I get at least 10 scams sent to me a day. One that I get regularly is from someone pretending to be my internet provider. The first they did it was when I really needed to update my credit card details. I fell for it and realised straight away. I rang my bank and cancelled my credit card. They tried to get nearly three grand from it.
It isn’t hard to see how people fall for these things.

Booking.com booking i had for a place in Thailand got hacked, they send a message through the booking.com account saying i needed to confirm booking with cc info or it will be cancelled, lucky i didn't see message until later on when hotel itself messaged saying they have been compromised.

Had some indian chap ring me whilst I was in a meeting at work. Although I usually don't answer numbers I don't recognise I did so as a way of excusing myself from the tedious meeting. So he tells me he's from Telstra and they have detected suspicious activity on my internet and that it may be hacked. I'm not with Telstra but let him carry on until he stated that they would need to access my computer to fix the problem. It was then that I laughed and said "**** off scammer" and hung up.

So I immediately sat down and apologised to the other team members for my absence.

Straight away the phone rings and it is a different number than before. I excuse myself again and go to a different room. It is the same Indian bloke.

"Did your parents teach you no manners? How dare you speak to me like that!"

Me: "Mate I might swear but at least I am not a scammer"

Him (really agitated): "I may be a scammer but my parents taught me manners"

Me: "Listen you scamming campaigner, why don't you suck my ****?"

Him (furious): Your mother was a prostitute! Your mother was a prostitute! YOUR MOTHER WAS A ****ING PROSTITUTE!!!!!

Me (laughing) So much for manners, Campaigner! (I hang up)

Had some indian chap ring me whilst I was in a meeting at work. Although I usually don't answer numbers I don't recognise I did so as a way of excusing myself from the tedious meeting. So he tells me he's from Telstra and they have detected suspicious activity on my internet and that it may be hacked. I'm not with Telstra but let him carry on until he stated that they would need to access my computer to fix the problem. It was then that I laughed and said "**** off scammer" and hung up.

So I immediately sat down and apologised to the other team members for my absence.

Straight away the phone rings and it is a different number than before. I excuse myself again and go to a different room. It is the same Indian bloke.

Him (furious): Your mother was a prostitute! Your mother was a prostitute! YOUR MOTHER WAS A ****ING PROSTITUTE!!!!!

Got a call earlier today from the Visa Card Security Centre.

listened for a while to his spiel and asked him my usual response " Do you tell your grandmother your are working in International Banking or as a thief?"

The usual response is a couple of highly personal insults and a ---- you. This guy went into a diatribe, about the hypocrisy of an Australian. having descended from convicts dare call him a thief.

I admitted that I actually have two convict ancestors which led him into further insults, some for which were quite creative.

As I was having lunch with nothing else to do, I eventually said something along the lines of keep on insulting and swearing at me, all I'm doing is taking up your time you can't call anybody else.

He terminated the call for some reason

Received this, this morning. Naturally I won't be clicking on anything.

Bigpond​

Dear User,

Your Mailbox will be shutting down on the 10th
of September 2024, due to recent upgrades.

follow the link below to upgrade

(There was a link that I've deleted here)

Notice: Ignoring this message would lead to the termination of your Mailbox without permission.

Thanks for using TELSTRA © 2024

Needless to say, my email is still working 🤔

Yesterday I got another message titled “Service”. There was a logo of DHL (isn’t that American?). My parcel has been held up in Customs and I need to pay a fee so it can be released and delivered. 🙄

I guess there would always be a few people who are expecting a parcel who might fall for it?

This is devastating and it's happening a lot.

On the verge of buying a home in Sydney's notoriously tough property market, first homebuyer Ilya Fomin was ecstatic.

He had secured a two-bedroom apartment close to a train station, shops and nature walks in the south-west.

But the young scientist's elation turned to panic when he discovered his money had vanished.

The 34-year-old says losing life savings of $280,000 felt like being in a nightmare he couldn't wake up from.

"That was such a huge shock," he says.

Mr Fomin believes criminals impersonated his law firm and tricked him into transferring his savings into a bank account they controlled.
He admitted making crucial mistakes, however Mr Fomin says his case reveals a shocking lack of safeguards.

"This is not (the) mistake of one person," he says.

"There are at least two banks, a law firm, me and the legislation which allowed this to happen."

Needless to say, my email is still working 🤔

Yesterday I got another message titled “Service”. There was a logo of DHL (isn’t that American?). My parcel has been held up in Customs and I need to pay a fee so it can be released and delivered. 🙄

I guess there would always be a few people who are expecting a parcel who might fall for it?

They're impersonating Australia Post too now, I've had a few messages.

I'm usually expecting some sort of parcel but still, I don't click on links sent to me at all now.

They're impersonating Australia Post too now, I've had a few messages.

I'm usually expecting some sort of parcel but still, I don't click on links sent to me at all now.
No, never. There are other ways to check if a message is genuine.

lol... similar experience.... dragged the call of the scammer for about 20 minutes before he realised. He totally lost it, eventually saying he 'bonked' my mother.

My calm response was: "arggh, that was you, she mentioned it to me, that a) you were no good and b) you had a really tiny fella"... he was lets say very angry and hung up.

Scammers are just the pits. Gutter feeders.
Haven’t been scammed yet touchwood.
Then again I don’t answer unknown numbers or click unexpected links so that helps avoid it too. Though I can totally see how someone may.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

SCAMS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back