Loyal Lion

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy/Brisbane Lions
That vision of Richard Osborne laying on the ground motionless, after that head clash was the worst thing I've seen. What made it more melodramatic was the ambulance coming into the arena to take Ossie away. Didn't know whether Ossie was still with us. That was a 1993 game against Geelong at the SCG I think.

Other things which are burnt in the memory are:

Locket's clash with Caven. Just sickening!

Osborne's knee in 89. Worst knee injury ever ?

Nathan Brown's leg snap was horrific too.

How about having to face, Ditterich, Muir, Sarau, Sidebottom in 78 must have been scary too ??? The Bomber's Terry Cahill must still have nightmares over that clash.

St. Kilda's Robbie Muir decking about 6 player in 30 seconds in the late '70's. Looked like a war zone and is one of my earliest memories of footy.

edit: Oh, and Warrick Cappers shorts.

there was a young kid playing for the kangaroos playing the first game of the 99 or 2000 season that got knocked out so badly he started convulsing (i think it was against essendon, as for some reason i remember that matty lloyd was the one to knock him out..)

that and trent hentschel's knee from 2006, was as bad as browny's broken leg

Nathan Brown for me. Something like Snell was in reality much worse, but the footage of Brown's injury was so clear and disturbing. Even with Hird at Subi - it looked bad but I don't think we knew until a bit later just how horrific it really was.

Voss' leg snap was pretty horrific too.
Totally unrelated, but Edwardo's (EPL match) snapped leg was the worst thing I have ever seen on a sporting field. Was watching the game at the time and they didn't show the actual incident. Saw it on YouTube a few days later and honestly wished I hadn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss and N.Brown both snapping their legs.

Slow motion replays should be banned of those images!

In fact, any slow-mo of someone hyper-extending a joint is shocking to watch.

I can remember the front page of the herald sun years ago with Tony Shaw holding his arm whilst his elbow bent in the opposite direction after Laurie Keane fell on top of him.

Neil Sachse 1975 versus Fitzroy. Second game for Footscray and his last. Very sad.

John Greening 1972 versus St Kilda. Never saw the incident......just the aftermath. One of the lowest acts ever on a football field.

Out at Waverley, Plugger had Brad Fox in a headlock so tight that Fox's whole head turned dark purple. All I could think was we were about to witness a murder on the footy field in front of us. We were all yelling to the umpires and police to go there and do something about it before it was too late. Very scary at the time.

there was a young kid playing for the kangaroos playing the first game of the 99 or 2000 season that got knocked out so badly he started convulsing (i think it was against essendon, as for some reason i remember that matty lloyd was the one to knock him out..)
Iirc Shannon Watt

Jared Crouch putting his kneecap back into place

That's unusual because soccer is such a soft game that it's very rare for people to get hurt -- though plenty of them pretend they're hurt lol. It must have been pretty unuasual circumstances.

Soft? Obviously you havent played at senior level in the suburban leagues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scariest things seen on a footy ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Back