Scariest things seen on a footy ground

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm surprised a Melbourne supporter hasn't mentioned Long on simmonds in the 2000 GF, as I'm sure many still hold a grudge over what a dog act it was and how little remorse long and essendon showed. Sickening. He'd get 10 weeks+ these days.

Alan Richardson getting torched by Voss made me piss my pants..

Always good seeing a pie almost get killed.

your opinion is irrelevant NOOB, listing your team also makes you piss your pants.
another eyes off the ball moment from voss, making the decision to coach makes him piss his pants.

Hawker, the Hawthorn mascot doing laps of the MCG in a souped-up hovercraft, going about 90km/h, with one hand on the wheel and waving to the crowd. He was riding the boundary line, only couple of feet inside the fence, with kiddies nearby and everything.

The scariest thing I've ever seen on a footy ground was those pretty red ribbons that Demon Kevin Dyson wore in the 1994 Qualifying Final against Carlton. Anyone daring to be that gay in a final just has to be the most fearsome dude since Jake the Muss......

regards,

REB

Wes Fellowes, Magpie ruckman. He couldn't play for shit, but man, he looked mean.
Pie fans are still scratching their heads and wondering how he ever won the '85 Copeland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawker, the Hawthorn mascot doing laps of the MCG in a souped-up hovercraft, going about 90km/h, with one hand on the wheel and waving to the crowd. He was riding the boundary line, only couple of feet inside the fence, with kiddies nearby and everything.

What happens if you get run over by a hovercraft :confused:

The accident happened a tick under 27 minutes into the last quarter, with Footscray 21 points up.

two minutes early. The ball is kicked deep into Footscray’s forward line. Sachse, the Scraggers’ gun recruit from North Adelaide, was on his way to full-forward. Gary Dempsey, the champion Bulldog ruckman, can’t quite hold the mark. The ball spills to a Fitzroy player who handballs an indiscriminate floater.

Sachse, an athletic, tallish player, grabs the hot ball and stumbles forward. He says he bumped into teammate Ray Huppatz. While he is losing balance, O’Keefe, a flame-haired half-back flanker from Terang, is moving to tackle him, front on. As he falls, Sachse’s head hits O’Keefe’s left thigh with considerable force. Thousands of spectators let out a disturbed “oooh'. Could he have avoided it? “I did try. You’ve only got a split second to make up your decision what you’re going to do. I wasn’t going to give in and he wasn’t going to give in. So that was the end.'

As Sachse lies flat on his back, unable to take his free kick and shot for goal, teammate Peter Welsh first gives him a gentle slap to the face and then, in a dangerous act of compassion, bends over and begins to pull Sachse up to a more upright position.
“Pete just picked me up and said, ‘It’s your free kick.’ I said, ‘I can’t move.’'
Sachse recently learned that this sequence has been used as a training video for handling the potential victims of spinal injuries. You’re not supposed to move them.
One can’t say whether Welsh’s well-intentioned assistance might have worsened Sachse’s injury.

“It’s something I’ll never know. It wouldn’t have helped. But the impact would have done a fair bit of damage as well.'

As with every other version of this incident I've read, this re-telling excludes a crucial piece of information about Sachse's involvement in this game. During the first quarter, on what would subsequently become known as the Doug Hawkins Wing, I observed Sachse deliberately kick a Fitzroy player, when that player was on the ground. I was thirty metres away from the incident. Fitzroy players milled around and remonstrated forcibly and physically with Sachse after the incident.

I was appalled by Sachse's action. One of the reasons I attended the game was to see the Doggies' 'gun' recruit, who'd received wraps in the media. After I saw that incident, I thought he wouldn't last long if he acted in that manner.

I'll say no more than to indicate that O'Keefe may have been a hard man for Fitzroy, but he in no way intended to maim Sachse. It is possible though, that O'Keefe may have thought that Sachse had transgressed the unwritten agreement between players of our game, which says that no matter how committed you are to a contest, you're sharing a workplace with somebody who's trying to earn a living, as are you. This unwritten agreement is the reason more injuries such as that suffered by Sachse don't occur.

What I've written may be seen as derogatory of Sachse, but it's not meant to be. If anything, it could easily be interpreted as reflecting equally on O'Keefe. The important thing is that this never happens again, none of it. Not trying to shitstir with this, merely telling what I saw. The whole story deserves to be told, as there may be lessons in it.

Edit: O'Keefe was never again the player, nor the hard man he was before this incident.

Ray Hayes

He made other so called "he-men" look like mice, and that includes all the tough guys I've seen in 45 years of watching AFL/VFL/SANFL footy.

EDIT:- There is one exception, a kid I used to play junior footy against, but he's locked up now for killing an old lady with a pair of scissors during a bungled robbery

Remove this Banner Ad

Scariest things seen on a footy ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Back