Sydneyfan

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2000
Brisbanópolis
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S’roos, Brisbane Lions, N Syd Bears
This year there aren't going to be any games at Stadium Australia and I think that the Swans have a deal to play home games at the SCG until 2003 but, which venue would you prefer the Swans to play at, the SCG or Stadium Australia or both?
I'd like the Swans to stay at the SCG because it is their home ground which has produced a great atmopshere over the last 18 years though I'd like to see the occasional match at Stadium Australia in the future, maybe 2 or 3 of the blockbuster matches being played at Stadium Australia, the rest at the SCG.
I haven't been to the SCG since they upgraded it over summer but it looks pretty good and I've heard that they've added more seats too. There's been a few plans over the years to expand the SCG, including one proposal to add a hotel to the SCG so with Stadium Australia's reduced capacity of 65,000 for AFL games, there probably in the future won't be much of a diffrence in their capacities.
It seems that if a second team moved to Sydney, the Swans would stay at the SCG while the second team would base themselves in western Sydney and play at Stadium Australia which would be a good arrangement. Though if the proposed large development at Liverpool occurs which includes a 35,000 seat Stadium which could be used for Australian football, if a second team moved to Sydney, they might play there.
With the bulk of the Swans support in Sydney being in the eastern suburbs, north shore and inner west, the best option for the Swans seems to be playing at the SCG and maybe playing a few games a year at Stadium Australia to get a bit of extra revenue. Stadium Australia though must be keen for the Swans to play there, otherwise it seems like it's going to be a white elephant used less than a dozen times a year.

------------------
My webpage is now @ <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/el_canguro/index.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/el_canguro/index.html
</A> Football and Sports links from all round the world go to:
http://www.geocities.com/el_canguro/sportslinks.html

Yeah dead right Sydneyfan

I've thought the same thing myself for a few years now -I don't think we would really go all that well in a place like Homebush. Besides, we keep reading about new problems associated with the re-configuration almost everyday, apparently the latest problem is the the surface is too low for good viewing by alot of the crowd and will have to be raised.I don't know when all this is supposed to be happening, as far as I know there has been no work of any description carried out yet, nor are there any immediate p[lans too.

The original agreement the AFl struck with Stadium Australia / SOCOG / NSW Gov't a couple of years ago loks like pure fantasy now - there is no way Aussie Rules will at this Stadium this season, next season,the one after that or even the one after that.

So, as I always say, continue to enjoy the comfort, intimate viewing and fantastic atomsphere of the SCG for many years to come yet.Which is great, I love the place and persopnally hope the Swansnever playat Homebush. Leave it a second Sydney team (when and if that ever happens) and keep the Swans in the inner city where all their fans live too !

cheers

I just checked out your site Peter P, cool site!
biggrin.gif
Good to see another Swans fan around here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back