Scott Pendlebury vs Joel Selwood?

Who would you take?

• Scott Pendlebury

Votes: 114 65.5%
  • Joel Selwood

Votes: 60 34.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Being different types of the same position means there is not allowed to be comparisons?

Even in a who would you take thread?

They could be comparing a ruck with an undersized back pocket and people should be allowed to offer opinions on who they would take.

If they shouldn't be compared then there really is little reason for this polls board.

Being different types of the same position means there is not allowed to be comparisons?

Even in a who would you take thread?

They could be comparing a ruck with an undersized back pocket and people should be allowed to offer opinions on who they would take.
If you hadn't noticed, I went on to compare the two players anyway so I obviously didn't mean that there should never be a comparison between the two.

What I meant by saying that, is that a lot of people in this thread have been using stats or medals to measure who is the better player and I don't particularly agree that is the right way to go. I probably should have worded it better, but my point still stands.

Pendlebury racks up Ablett-like stats (without the goals), and given his age it's scary to see how much better he will get in the talented Collingwood midfield. Selwood used to play high-possession football (as did the rest of the Cats midfielders) but his numbers dropped as he focused his game on playing tough inside football (and now kicking goals). There were times this year where he absolutely dominated in that role, but he hasn't quite caught the hang of it consistently. I'd like to think that his playing style takes a bit of a toll on his body, rather than saying he isn't actually capable of playing at a high level all year.

If you're going to compare them, I would use videos and put extra emphasis on how they excel at their role in the team. Stats will never tell the full story.

If you hadn't noticed, I went on to compare the two players anyway so I obviously didn't mean that there should never be a comparison between the two.

Pendlebury racks up Ablett-like stats (without the goals), and given his age it's scary to see how much better he will get in the talented Collingwood midfield. Selwood used to play high-possession football (as did the rest of the Cats midfielders) but his numbers dropped as he focused his game on playing tough inside football (and now kicking goals). There were times this year where he absolutely dominated in that role, but he hasn't quite caught the hang of it consistently. I'd like to think that his playing style takes a bit of a toll on his body, rather than saying he isn't actually capable of playing at a high level all year.

First year that Selwood has kicked more than 15 goals and Pendles is a goal kicking midfielder. Pendles also played a bit behind the ball this last year or two, probably indicative of his 'lower' return of 18 in 2013

If you thought you had some big find, you obviously didn't read the context in which those terms were used.

One was talking about Pendlebury, the other about Selwood.

That is clear in your post. All I am saying is that this is the first year Selwood has kicked over 20, indicative of his positioning on the ground as a centreman and Scotty's game plan. When your left with just the 'player', it has to be Pendles.

That is clear in your post. All I am saying is that this is the first year Selwood has kicked over 20, indicative of his positioning on the ground as a centreman and Scotty's game plan. When your left with just the 'player', it has to be Pendles.
I'm pretty sure I already mentioned that Selwood only added forward stints to his game consistently in 2013.

I don't agree that either player wins out between the two, because they both offer completely different things and play to these strengths at a similarly elite level. Selwood to me is harder working, a better leader and more courageous. Pendlebury is more consistent, clean and classy. Either way you don't lose having either one of them.

At the end of the day, who would you rather had the footy in their hands?? Selwood is ahead in those categories because Swan and Ball do more of the bullocking for the woods, they are their respective roles to play and if it was Pendles primary role to 'extract', Pendles would spike in those categories I have no doubt. He is just as courageous but he 'chooses' to keep his feet more which results in him not getting his head caved every other match, this, is a smarter footballer, not a less courageous one. He is also better in the air. Scott Pendlebury is a very unique type of footballer, whereas the Selwoods, JP Kennedys, Boyds, Thompsons are more numerous. As a rounded pure footballer, Pendles is peerless bar GAJ and Patrick Dangerfield. I was at the prelim last year and Selwood went missing for decent parts of the second half.

He is just as courageous but he 'chooses' to keep his feet more which results in him not getting his head caved every other match, this, is a smarter footballer, not a less courageous one.
Look, it's pretty obvious you have some sort of prejudice against Selwood; the fact you chose to bring up his apparent ducking, (without bothering to consider let alone acknowledge arguments in this thread that perfectly counter that "theory") only supports my accusation. I've tried to debate fairly and logically, and I'd appreciate if you did the same.

Here are some videos of Selwood "getting his head caved". I highly doubt these clashes were "intentional".

He is also better in the air
Got evidence? I can't recall the last time I saw Selwood drop a mark.

Scott Pendlebury is a very unique type of footballer, whereas the Selwoods, JP Kennedys, Boyds, Thompsons are more numerous. As a rounded pure footballer, Pendles is peerless bar GAJ and Patrick Dangerfield.
I would say the opposite, in all honesty.

I was at the prelim last year and Selwood went missing for decent parts of the second half.
I addressed his inconsistency.

As for Pendlebury being just as courageous as Selwood, I disagree. Vehemently. 3 AFLPA Robert Rose medals would also state otherwise. That doesn't make Selwood a better player, the same way a Norm Smith or Anzac Day medal doesn't make Pendlebury any better. That also doesn't mean that Pendlebury isn't courageous or that Selwood doesn't lift for big games.

Rate Stevie J higher than Selwood and (possibly) Pendles to be honest.

The guy is criminally underrated.
I agree, as a Geelong supporter. Johnson missed 6 games this year and still somehow finished top 5 in the Brownlow. If he can stop getting himself suspended, and if Selwood steals less votes from him, the Charlie is just about in the bag. I thought he was great as a forward, but he has found himself on a whole new level in the midfield.

Look, it's pretty obvious you have some sort of prejudice against Selwood; the fact you chose to bring up his apparent ducking, (without bothering to consider let alone acknowledge arguments in this thread that perfectly counter that "theory") only supports my accusation. I've tried to debate fairly and logically, and I'd appreciate if you did the same.

Here are some videos of Selwood "getting his head caved". I highly doubt these clashes were "intentional".

Got evidence? I can't recall the last time I saw Selwood drop a mark.

I would say the opposite, in all honesty.

I addressed his inconsistency.

As for Pendlebury being just as courageous as Selwood, I disagree. Vehemently. 3 AFLPA Robert Rose medals would also state otherwise. That doesn't make Selwood a better player, the same way a Norm Smith or Anzac Day medal doesn't make Pendlebury any better. That also doesn't mean that Pendlebury isn't courageous or that Selwood doesn't lift for big games.

I respect your opinion, but there is no other midfielder like Pendlebury in the game. The closest think to him is fyfe, even thats pushing with Pendles having the best disposal in the game.

I respect your opinion, but there is no other midfielder like Pendlebury in the game. The closest think to him is fyfe, even thats pushing with Pendles having the best disposal in the game.
And I have a similar view on Selwood, though I'd probably say that uniquity isn't an accurate measure of one's worth as a player when comparing.

I'm not afraid to disagree though, and I respect your opinion too :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He picked up the same amount of disposals Selwood averages, and still had a poor game ;)

Didn't even give a yelp at any stage of the match. Starting to become a re-occurring pattern with Pendles game, Collingwood are winning...he's dazzling, Collingwood are losing and need a lift...he goes missing a little too frequently.

Didn't even give a yelp at any stage of the match. Starting to become a re-occurring pattern with Pendles game, Collingwood are winning...he's dazzling, Collingwood are losing and need a lift...he goes missing a little too frequently.
He played about as well as selwood did that week, except Pendlebury had a tag. He's far more consistent than Selwood, almost every close game we play thats decided within a few goals Pendlebury will pull off a 30 disposal game with a goal or 2. Pendles kicks clutch goals when we need him, Selwood kicks goals when rested forward when the games done and dusted.

He played about as well as selwood did that week, except Pendlebury had a tag. He's far more consistent than Selwood, almost every close game we play thats decided within a few goals Pendlebury will pull off a 30 disposal game with a goal or 2. Pendles kicks clutch goals when we need him, Selwood kicks goals when rested forward when the games done and dusted.

I'm a Pendles man (Hi, Scott!:)) but that is a load of crap.

Selwood kicks goals when rested forward when the games done and dusted.
That's a joke, isn't it?

His one goal in the prelim put us one point up in the 3rd quarter and kick started our 20 point lead.

His one goal in the semifinal increased our lead in the last quarter.

His one goal in the last H&A game of the season won us the game.

Both his goals kicked in round 22 increased our lead, before the game was done and dusted.

All 4 of Selwood's goals in round 21 were kicked in the 2nd and 3rd quarter.

3 of Selwood's 4 goals in round 20 were in the first half and basically made up our lead.

2 of Selwood's 3 goals in round 18 were kicked in the first quarter.

All 3 of Selwood's goals in round 17 were in the first half. 2 put us in front, and 1 built on our 11 point lead.

Selwood's one goal vs Hawthorn in round 15 increased our 11 point lead at a critical moment.

Selwood's 2 goals in round 11 both increased our lead.

Selwood's 1 goal in round 8, while we were 8 points behind, kick started our comeback.

A Selwood goal in round 6 increased our 4 point lead when we needed it most.

1 of Selwood's 2 goals in round 5 came when we were 11 points down.

Selwood's goal in round 4 increased our 19 point lead.

Selwood's goal in round 3 put us 19 points in front.

His goal in round 2 put us 1 point behind North.

His goal against Hawthorn in round 1 tightened the Hawks' lead to 8 points.

Catgirl, what do you think two scouts look at when deciding who has the better hands out of two 16 year old kids?? Certainly not stats, maybe a bit of 'intuition' from 20 years of playing the game to a decent level. Yes, stats have their place, but they aren't the be all and end all. Pendlebury is also better on his non preferred side to go with his superior 'hands'. The Poll results have done the majority of the arguing anyway.

Catgirl, what do you think two scouts look at when deciding who has the better hands out of two 16 year old kids?? Certainly not stats, maybe a bit of 'intuition' from 20 years of playing the game to a decent level. Yes, stats have their place, but they aren't the be all and end all. Pendlebury is also better on his non preferred side to go with his superior 'hands'. The Poll results have done the majority of the arguing anyway.
I've been arguing that stats are pretty much irrelevant the entire time, so I don't see the point you're aiming to construe.

Regardless of the poll results, I'm entitled to my opinion, and no amount of amateur football analysts on the Internet is going to change that. I don't believe either of the players are as superior as the other, and you need to know that you're not convincing me with or without your unsupported facts.

I've been arguing that stats are pretty much irrelevant the entire time, so I don't see the point you're aiming to construe.

Regardless of the poll results, I'm entitled to my opinion, and no amount of amateur football analysts on the Internet is going to change that. I don't believe either of the players are as superior as the other, and you need to know that you're not convincing me with or without your unsupported facts.

At least we agree on something. :)

I do agree with you actually. Pendlebury is more consistent but he doesn't influence as many games as what Selwood so far has.

The style of game they play also dictates this as Selwood is almost manic in his approach when he begins to lift, Pendlebury's game is different, doesn't throw himself into contests or get his hands dirty like Joel does, it's just the way Pendlebury plays the game. I'd say Swan is very much the game lifter for Collingwood, he can be quiet for a half before a noticeable lift in intensity is seen.

I voted Pendlebury because he's the kind of player that I'd pay money to see, and Selwood makes me turn off the TV when Geelong play anybody but the Tigers.

Amazing that Pendlebury can match (or even exceed) Selwood's output without having to resort to the stupid levels of "bravery" that have seen Selwood knocked out multiple times, and will probably leave him with an acquired brain injury after he retires.

Pendles doesn't approach the ump at every break either. I like that in a player.

I voted Pendlebury because he's the kind of player that I'd pay money to see, and Selwood makes me turn off the TV when Geelong play anybody but the Tigers.

Amazing that Pendlebury can match (or even exceed) Selwood's output without having to resort to the stupid levels of "bravery" that have seen Selwood knocked out multiple times, and will probably leave him with an acquired brain injury after he retires.

Pendles doesn't approach the ump at every break either. I like that in a player.

popcorn-mj-o.gif

I do agree with you actually. Pendlebury is more consistent but he doesn't influence as many games as what Selwood so far has.

The style of game they play also dictates this as Selwood is almost manic in his approach when he begins to lift, Pendlebury's game is different, doesn't throw himself into contests or get his hands dirty like Joel does, it's just the way Pendlebury plays the game. I'd say Swan is very much the game lifter for Collingwood, he can be quiet for a half before a noticeable lift in intensity is seen.
I agree, Swan when on fire is hard to stop, especially when he starts to run an carry, hes one of the best. Selwood i believe plays his best footy in the guts, i dont think he should be pushing forward kicking goals even though it does look good on paper. I would rather a 30+ disposal selwood game rather than a 20-25 disposal 1-2 goal game. As stupid as it probably sounds i like his years when he averaged more disposals and less goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Pendlebury vs Joel Selwood?

Back