Scully & Trengove

Who has had a better year?

• Scully

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trengove

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/demons-nail-1-2-punch/story-e6frf9jf-1225879200727
THEY arrived at Melbourne touted as the saviours of Australia's oldest football club. One was from the tiny South Australian border town of Kybybolite, the other from Berwick in Melbourne's outer-east.
But 18-year-olds Tom Scully and Jack Trengove had one thing in common - they were both identified early as football prodigies.

Snapped up by the Demons at No. 1 and No. 2 in last year's national draft, Scully and Trengove lead a young red-and-blue resurgence and have formed a bond that promises to take the struggling team back to the top.

Both are competitive and driven, and both were quickly nominated for the Rising Star award.

Their graduation to AFL players came after years of scouting reports, tests and interviews with club officials.

This week Sam Edmund got Melbourne's young turks to spill the beans on each other.
TRENGOVE ON SCULLY

"I first met him at the under-18 championships when we played Vic Metro and the day before the game all the captains had to go to Etihad Stadium for a photo shoot.

"I suppose I'd heard a lot about him because he had been touted as the No. 1 pick for a couple of years and going into the game we were sort of targeting him because he was their best player by a mile.

But when I met him he seemed a really genuine bloke, down to earth and someone who just loved his footy.

"It was pretty weird how it all ended up happening.

"He's a great bloke to play with and I'm happy he's on my side and I don't have to play against him. It's a young group here at Melbourne, so it's great to have someone your age going through the same experiences, even having guys who have moved from interstate like I have, just learning from them.

"I suppose any 18-year-old just wants to play as many games as they can so obviously we were really keen to get out there and test ourselves against the best team in Geelong.

"But we fully understood the reasons behind being rested because it's a pretty long year.

"We were room-mates for the trips to Darwin and that one down to Geelong and he was pretty good. He snored a bit on the first night which was a bit of an issue, but he's cruisy to room with. We normally watch the same sort of stuff on TV and he never kicks up a fuss.

"He's really got one thing in mind and that's to be a successful footballer in a successful team and he'll do anything to make that happen.

"It's been his dream since he was been a kid and he'll never deviate off the line.

"Everybody is always asking him why he doesn't drink. I suppose when we first got to the club everyone was wondering if it was really true. Like, is it possible? He sticks by it though and it's a credit to him, I can't believe how he's done it.

"I've been to a couple of 18th parties that he got us invited to with his mates and he just goes about his business. You think he's drunk, but you know he hasn't had a sip of alcohol so he has just put on a different personality, kind of thing.

"He's got a nice little Holden that he's put a fair bit of work into. He loves pimping around Berwick in that thing.

"There's tinted windows and everything. He's got a bit of a scratch in it at the moment. I think a truck sort of side-swiped him so he needs to get that fixed, but it's still looking good.

"We're going away to Warrnambool on a boxing trip this week (an annual camp for Demons first-year players).

"Yeah, I'll try and hit him as hard as I can. But seriously, it should be a good test and he's going to be a pretty tough competitor I'd say, really quick. But if I get a chance to land one I'll make sure I land one.

"He's definitely got me covered when it comes to the beep test. During pre-season he beat me in all the endurance stuff. I could see him but I just couldn't get him. He just kept going and going.

"It's probably a good motivational thing for me to try and keep up with him in future.

"He's never the quickest to finish with swimming though. I think I've got him covered in the pool and he would probably admit that. He doesn't reckon he's the best swimmer. He's normally one of the last out at the end of the day, but he battles hard.

" 'Bleasy' (Sam Blease) just loves to hang around 'Sculls'. They sort of hang off each other, you can't separate them.

"The first-year boys catch up for dinner once a fortnight, but I don't think he bothers (cooking).

"But I cheated as well because my host mum cooked for us when the boys came over. But it was nice venturing out to Berwick and out to Sculls' place.

"I hadn't been out there before so we set the clock back an hour to get out there and an hour to get back. It was a pretty long trip."

SCULLY ON TRENGOVE

"We had a press conference before (last year's) Vic Metro-South Australia game to promote the under-18 championships. I sort of only met him briefly there and we spoke for probably five or 10 minutes and that was about it. That was the first encounter.

"I had actually played against him in under-16s, but I don't think he would have realised that we played against other, I didn't realise it either because in under-16s you're not really worried about the draft or opposition players and all that stuff.

"I was obviously interested to see what he was like because I'd heard all this stuff about how he was as a footballer, everyone held him in such high regard and it didn't take long to work out why everyone was saying those things.

"But we were opponents at that press conference and it was sort of, not funny, but just a bit on edge. You didn't want to get too friendly because we were playing in two days.

"Everyone was generating this No. 1 and No. 2 hype and I didn't really see it like that, but ... in the back of my mind I was thinking, 'If things worked out like everyone was saying then we would end up being teammates'.

"Now hopefully we're going to spend the rest of our careers playing in the same team.

"It's been very good help to have someone in the exact same position as you and you're experiencing it together.

"You feel like you're not alone, that you've got someone there and being in the same age bracket, it's been good to have him go through and experience it together.

"We had mixed feelings with the Geelong game. Obviously, we were a bit frustrated because we wanted to play against them. They're the premier team and you've got that superstar midfield that you want to come up against and compare yourself to. But at the same time we knew it was a good thing for us because you've got to look at the big picture, it's a long year and you've got to take a step back and realise the club was just doing the right thing by us.

"Jack was a pretty quiet room-mate and he's just a pretty quiet, respectful guy. We're different people, but we've got similar traits like that. We're teammates, but Jack's very competitive, ultra-competitive actually, so the boxing will be interesting.

"I think I'm pretty competitive too so I think if we get in the ring together we'll just be trying to do our best and give each other a few.

"It's pretty even when it comes to the beep test actually. I just got him this pre-season, but it's gonna be good to push each other. At those last levels it's hard to push yourself and it helps to have someone else there pushing you along.

"That's unbelievable, his sister's (Jess) best 3km time (9min 52sec). I've just got that covered, but his sister might give us a good run, I reckon. That's unreal though. I don't know if Jack deserves to cop it for that, he makes up for it in other areas and he's still a great runner.

"Better kick? I think he's got me covered there. He's a very good kick and good to watch.

"He got 97 on his (VCE) ENTER score so he could end up having his hands in anything. That shows what an all-round talented bloke he is.

"He's one of those blokes who could do anything. He's going to have his life set up away from footy and he's very smart and mature in the way he approaches that.

"I missed his dinner. I had another thing on so I missed that. I'm pretty sure his host family cooked so he got out of it. But again, I can't talk because my mum cooked when it was my turn so I let the boys down there, I couldn't help them out.

"Jack's host family, that house is unbelievable. He's come over from Adelaide and he probably just thinks this is what it's like to live in Melbourne, just living in a big pad in Brighton.

"He's got a very good host family and they look after him well. He might not want to move out, I don't think."

Quote from Scully re trengove in the HS:
"Now hopefully we're going to spend the rest of our careers playing in the same team."

I like the sound of that.

Trengove does 4-5 things a game that are just "clever". It may be as simple as a kick to advantage or a shephard, but it's clear as day that he has a football brain that most of his teammates could only dream of!

Scully is more of a game-breaker with his pace and fast hands. His kicking is more like a 7-iron at the minute, he needs to get the 5-iron out! That will come with a full pre season on the leg weights.

All in all I reckon Scully needs more love in the voting, so I'll go him. IMO he's been slightly more impressive in any case.

Well ill tell you one thing. Sculls and Trenners shit all over Jack Watts.

Jack Watts number 1 draft pick = Mortal Combat Fail!!

He loves pimping around Berwick in that thing.

Haha, funny shit!

He's got a bit of a scratch in it at the moment. I think a truck sort of side-swiped him so he needs to get that fixed, but it's still looking good

WTF! I hope he wasn't in it at the time! In any case, get this trucky's number plate, I got a mate at VicRoads...we'll take care of him!

Well i wouldnt eat Jack Watts thats for sure, the skinny chicken leg, chicken wing king of fail he is.

and get him a guide dog, coz he seems to get a bit lost at AFL level. Maybe he should do a fail stint at Mcdonalds coz its a lot easier for him to find his way around, at least he'll get disposals......By taking out the Mcwatts burgers that arnt being eaten.

Your reply = McWatts

(Translation - Fail!!)

BigSexc, if you're going to make an alias, make it a bit harder for us to spot than 'big48'...

lol that aint me.. maybe its a certain person on this board who has a vendetta against me trying to frame me. BUT tbh it really isnt me.. just like that time ppl thought i was wona33 and mr_rude. i wasnt and am not

Well i wouldnt eat Jack Watts thats for sure, the skinny chicken leg, chicken wing king of fail he is.

and get him a guide dog, coz he seems to get a bit lost at AFL level. Maybe he should do a fail stint at Mcdonalds coz its a lot easier for him to find his way around, at least he'll get disposals......By taking out the Mcwatts burgers that arnt being eaten.

Your reply = McWatts

(Translation - Fail!!)
jack watts doesnt deserve capitals in my book
would never do a lame rhyme like that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trolling am i......Wow, how very intelligent. Id expect dribble like that from collingwood supporters.

Whoever said Martin was not in the same ball park knows nothing about footy. They will all be great players.
It's not that Martin is bad, he's a hard working player that would be an asset to any team. He's just not headed for superstardom like Scully and Trengove.

See how fun it is?

Remove this Banner Ad

Scully & Trengove

Back