Review Dees v the Scully-ites of GWS: the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

GOOD: Rivers back in the middle
BAD: Showing too much of the ball with every disposal
UGLY: Smashed 0-8 in clearance in the 4th, with the first 4 leading to goals. Gawn had 6 hitouts from 21 ruck contests in the last. Shouldn't have played, but if they had to, then absolutely should have looked at subbing him out.

Roffey calling us a big club :$
Can guarnteee their forecasts had us packing out stadiums for the next 5 years after the flag. 🧠

Watch them come sucking back up to us over the offseason, hitting the telephones begging you to renew your membership.

Trying to be a bit more positive.

Good:
  • Billings had a crack
  • Laurie didn't look completely crap
  • Oliver showed more hunger and fight. Efficiency and poor last QTR aside.
  • Windsor has all the tools to be a star, once the frame fills out a bit he will be a weapon, not afraid of the tough stuff
  • Chandler goal was a beauty and pressure was good
  • Petty, haven't heard him mentioned much around here but looks a likely forward with a couple of good marks and big tackles :)
  • Rivers while not a standout tonight continues to win 1-on-1's
  • McVee, see Rivers

Bad:
  • Gawn never looked right, go worse as game went on
  • Fritsch turning circle and chasing
  • Viney just meh at the moment
  • Bowey fumbles, bad skills, bring back Howes

Ugly:
  • Our game plan.
  • umpiring
  • Lack of speed and defensive running in midfield
  • clanger handballs and flat footed players
  • saving the game when down by 20... Wtf...
  • Turner as Sub. Can only imagine it was due to Gawn risk not working and needing to sub him and send JVR back into ruck... Bad week to have lost Kolt.

Never felt more numb about a 2 point loss in my life
I know what you mean, I almost felt neutral. Of course I wanted to win in the end but I just wasn't annoyed like I usually am. Feels like this season is dragging on. Even if we won it's just not as enjoyable when you just grind out wins.

For me it's good seeing the younger players having a crack. AMW really looks like a player. Windsor continues to look good. Not sold on Laurie but he at least gave us something more than Sparrow.

GWS were clearly the better team but it felt they took their chances. Jesse Hogan was clutch for them kicking 4.0. We just don't have a forward like that. JVR is probably the closest, he's still young so he might get that reliability in time.

Very poor middle quarters, I don't expect every quarter to go like the first but we still need to keep the goals coming. The start of the last is exactly why GWS got to a big lead in a split second. Just a little bit of scoreboard pressure and we have time to respond. Also falling asleep at the start of tje fourth quarter. How many times has that cost us recently.

Anyway it is what is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS were clearly the better team but it felt they took their chances. Jesse Hogan was clutch for them kicking 4.0. We just don't have a forward like that. JVR is probably the closest, he's still young so he might get that reliability in time.
JVR is going to struggle to be a good forward and kick goals while we constantly have him rucking around the ground when Gawn is off.

He should only ruck in F50 and that's it.
Again everyone can see it except for old mate galaxy brain Goodwin

Last edited:
Lost in the second quarter when we were up by a margin and galaxy brain Goodwin had them doing that defensive kicking down the boundary line crap.

Looked like we weren't even trying to get a goal then, didn't go through the corridor once then or play with any dare
That's what we did in the first quarter aswell. It's a shit style that only works with momentum.

JVR is going to struggle to be a good forward and kick goals while we constantly have him rucking around the ground while Gawn is off.

He should only ruck in F50 and that's it.
Again everyone can see it except for old mate galaxy brain Goodwin
Yeah would definitely prefer him purely forward but not sure what other options we have.

Learnings from Goody's press conference: Still obsessed with contest defense and things looking a Melbourne game (cant wait for more of this in 2025) , 0-8 centre bounce clearances in the final quarter, Oliver is a Melbourne man and will be here for a long time.

Could you get a bleaker outlook?

That's what we did in the first quarter aswell. It's a shit style that only works with momentum.
If I'm honest I missed a fair bit of the first quarter lol but yeah bottom line is I would've like us to use the corridor at least once when we were up
Yeah would definitely prefer him purely forward but not sure what other options we have.
Tbf he can go alright in the ruck but I just think put literally anyone that's reasonably tall, not our leading goal kicking KPF

First real post on this sitethis season
Been away.

Not quite the Dismal Dee's tonight (ala last week) but too inconsistant from Quarter to Quarter.
Guesse the old Adage " Bad (goal) kicking is Bad football"
That's pretty much it.
Get the boys outside and do less match Sim and do more goalkicking or drills that finish with a Goal kick!

Learnings from Goody's press conference: Still obsessed with contest defense and things looking a Melbourne game (cant wait for more of this in 2025) , 0-8 centre bounce clearances in the final quarter, Oliver is a Melbourne man and will be here for a long time.

Could you get a bleaker outlook?
My god this is such a painful death by a 1000 cuts.
Robo goody proud of shit performances, crowds not showing up, boring as games and the rest of the teams are so shit we are still mathematically a chance for top 4 which is just sickening.

Probably gonna be **** all media pressure again, an we'll slowly go under the radar being just a nothing club

I don't know how but this club needs a massive circuit breaker.

My god this is such a painful death by a 1000 cuts.
Robo goody proud of shit performances, crowds not showing up, boring as games and the rest of the teams are so shit we are still mathematically a chance for top 4 which is just sickening.

Probably gonna be **** all media pressure again, an we'll slowly go under the radar being just a nothing club

I don't know how but this club needs a massive circuit breaker.
Like, maybe, a coach sacking?

Sorry sorry, I kid.

Fun little side note – as of this week, the club still hadn't ruled Petracca out for the season.

In his own words:

Though the Demons had ruled Petracca out for the remainder of the home and away season, there had been hope he could resume contract training during the finals, leaving the door ajar for a comeback in September. But the gun midfielder has shut down that talk.

“There’s no chance,” Petracca said. “My first contact [training] would be three to four months away, still.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dees v the Scully-ites of GWS: the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back