Season 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

I take your joke in the spirit in which it was meant CWR.
I have had the spreadsheet out again and here is the deal.
It will take at least 11 wins to make the five. After I did all the different permutations there was no combination of results (barring the ludicrous) that would get you in with less than 11, except Beechworth may get into 5th with 10.5 wins. 10 will not get you in.
I think that the five will more than likely be:
Mitta 17.5 wins
Kiewa 16 wins
Dederang 13 wins
Chiltern 12 wins
Beechworth 10.5 or 11.5 wins.

Mitta & Kiewa are definitely safe, and I can't see Dederang and Chiltern not getting their 2 and 3 wins respectively to guarantee them a spot. That leaves Beechworth. They currently have 7.5 wins and Thurgoona & Rutherglen to come, giving them 9.5 and needing to beat Barny Dederang or Tallangatta to get in. Which I think they will.
It's not over till the fat lady sings, but she's certainly out the back warming up. Barny & Tallangatta will more than likely have to win 4 of their last 5 to get in, and with their draws it's a big ask. They will certainly deserve to be there if they happen to get in. (Not that it matters - all playing for 2nd anyway. Commiserations to all the teams spending a lot of money to finish not-1st !)

Good Work again AP - I rekon its going to be a bit tighter than what your predicting. Chiltern (shit %) & B'Worth are the shaky ones. Barny play both these sides but then they also come up against the top 3 - Mitta / KSC & Cats. (like that one) OnceYack get past KSC this round they have a good draw - I reckon 10 games might be enough to sneak into fith position. One thing for sure is its going to be a great finish to what has been a pretty even season. Finals may be different though - Mitta & KSC a fair way ahead of the pack - DMB on their day may challenge, other two making up the numbers.

For those who wanted an upset with Wahgunyah defeating Mitta - your chances have been dealt a cruel blow....not with selections, but with the maggot appointments!

noticed justin duffy kicking 2 goals in the 2's for thurgoona.are they struggling for players or was he mackinga big come.the mil hanna of the tdfl!!!!

Really it's a 3 horse race everyone else there for nuisence value. If they make it Beechworth will be lucky to get through the first week

Some late mail, Culph injured his knee during a Sunday session, slipped on some rocks and was heard to say "Knee is gone, Mitta's chance for 5 also........."

Some late mail, Culph injured his knee during a Sunday session, slipped on some rocks and was heard to say "Knee is gone, Mitta's chance for 5 also........."
Culphy will be right he will be just trying to add some drama to a placid year of the TDFL he'll do a Jana Pitman and be back in a nick of time for Sandy Creek. If he is to miss it may well be the barton medal that his also lost, thats if he isn't alerady that far in front anyway

3 close games on the weekend which saw top 5 sides take on lower sides, with nearly 3 upsets. Good to see the saints take it up to Chiltern Thurgoona unlucky against Beechworth IMO were the best side after quarter time but once again inaccuracy cost them. and the wahgunyah w***errrs nearly beat the unbackable favourites. Be good to seen the other 6 sides flog the guts out of each other i for one am looking forward to being on the other side of the fence enjoying the finer things of country footy. Pie's and Beer:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Noticed Mitch Ryan played for Beechworth on the weekend,was in the best and kicked a goal.
According to the league website he hasnt been cleared from Cor/Ruth.
SugarRay maybe you can shed some light on this matter:confused::confused:

The Fish is back and the Fish is right. Wahgunyah was on the bad end on sat, several dubious fees and 1 terrible 50 gifting Mitta 3-4 goals to get them the win. Seems everything is aligned to get them 5 in a row

The Fish is back and the Fish is right. Wahgunyah was on the bad end on sat, several dubious fees and 1 terrible 50 gifting Mitta 3-4 goals to get them the win. Seems everything is aligned to get them 5 in a row
Mate get a life. There was nothing wrong with the umpires at all on Saturday, they hardly used their whistle and let the game go on. If all umps did this you would see a much better game of footy on the weekends. The fact that Mitta had several more scoring shots is what won them the game not the umpires. Anyway shows that you know fu*k all about TDFL if think the umps are out there to help Mitta win flags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can anybody tell me where harry o'neill is these days? talented footballer, no where to be seen- was rumors that he was heading to thurgoona a couple of years ago when waysy left chiltern.... peter featherby said thurgoona offered him $200 a game- does anyone know where he ended up?

can anybody tell me where harry o'neill is these days? talented footballer, no where to be seen- was rumors that he was heading to thurgoona a couple of years ago when waysy left chiltern.... peter featherby said thurgoona offered him $200 a game- does anyone know where he ended up?

It is a surprise not to see him running around at Chiltern these days, especially considering his cousin is coaching the 2's.
Although his missus is playing netball for the Raiders and he would spend his saturdays now watching her and looking after his kids I would think.
It is disappointing not to see him still going around, really a talented player, but with his shoulder injuries that he has had to put up with over the years is not a big surprise that he may have decided to hang em up on his own.

Culphy will be right he will be just trying to add some drama to a placid year of the TDFL he'll do a Jana Pitman and be back in a nick of time for Sandy Creek. If he is to miss it may well be the barton medal that his also lost, thats if he isn't alerady that far in front anyway

Should be very very interesting with only 4 games to go to see who plays finals with 3 spots still up for grabs but you would think the top 2 will remain the same. Teams battling with each other to sneak in the 5. The race is hotting up.
Got a question. Does anybody have an idea if any of Mitta's top liners are due to return this week or in coming weeks cause they have been decimated in recent weeks with injuries and unavailability. Some even suggest they are resting blokes just to make sure they are set to go comes finals time. Must be nice hey?
JUst on that word on the street is that Barton Medal fancy Culph's leg problem not as bad as first feared but it must have sent a scare through the Mountain Men camp as he is so important to their side and gives them so much every week. Understandable the concern but seems not only will he be right for finals but possibly could be right for the remaining games of the home and away season.
Anybody know if there's any truth to this????????

Should be very very interesting with only 4 games to go to see who plays finals with 3 spots still up for grabs but you would think the top 2 will remain the same. Teams battling with each other to sneak in the 5. The race is hotting up.
Got a question. Does anybody have an idea if any of Mitta's top liners are due to return this week or in coming weeks cause they have been decimated in recent weeks with injuries and unavailability. Some even suggest they are resting blokes just to make sure they are set to go comes finals time. Must be nice hey?
JUst on that word on the street is that Barton Medal fancy Culph's leg problem not as bad as first feared but it must have sent a scare through the Mountain Men camp as he is so important to their side and gives them so much every week. Understandable the concern but seems not only will he be right for finals but possibly could be right for the remaining games of the home and away season.

Anybody know if there's any truth to this????????

The Culphman does have a tendancy to 'play up' a situation like a daytime soap opera. The way he was wandering around when it happened saying "I'm done, I'm done, my season over.." thought he may of had to have it amputated :D. Obviously his recover skills assisted by his side kick 'Muscles' Mulholland's strict diet and healthy living routine have enabled a quick recovery.

Anybody actually wanna discuss the league??

With an upset last weekend (Tall d DMB), the ladder sits with teams 3-7 seperated by only 1 game! I can't remember a situation like this. Not only are final spots still up for grabs, and that is likely to stay the same until after the final round, but the double chance is still very much up in the air. Even for the sides So a look at each of these sides:

DMB (Curr 3rd 9/5 123%) - many have written them as the 3rd best side, fair enough. However of their last 4 games 3 are aginst final contenders as well (Beech, Mitta, Chilt) and a bad month now could see them topple right out of the final altogether, good % in their favour will help if it becomes tight. Likely to stay 3rd.

Chilt (Curr 4th 9/5 97%) - The surprise of the season. play 2 teams in the finals race (Barn, DMB), but other games could be danger (Wah, Thur) if the match against the Saints was any indication. The worst % of any team still in the race could see them tumble out if they falter. 3 wins would see them hold onto 4th, 2 wins may see them out altogether - tough month ahead.

Beech (Curr 5th, 8/5/1 114%) - Tough 3 weeks coming up all against finals contenders (Barn, DMB, Tall) win 2 and it would see them home with easy final round (Ruth). Its all in their hands and just depends on with Beech team shows up each week. % not a factor ATM due to drawn game, 3 wins and they will hang onto to 5th at the very least.

Barn (curr 6th 8/6 126%) - Have the tougest run home of any team, all against contending sides (Beech, Mitta, Chil, KSC), need to win at least 3 to push into the 5. Would need to beat Beech & Chilt and hope Mitta or KSC dont come to play in one of those games. Will rue the losses to Yack and Tall over the past month. Likely to finish 6th/7th.

Tall (Curr 7th 8/6 110%) - The team that just wont quit with an interesting run home (Yack, Ruth, Beech, Mitta), winning their last 2 against contending sides (Barn, DMB) would have their confidence up and flying. Could very well win 3 of those games, which they would need to to push into the 5, but if they play like its May again, could lose all 4. The toughest team to predict, but likely to miss the finals and finish 6th/7th.

A good month by any of these teams now could see them finish 3rd, 1 bad loss could see them crash out of the 5 after that round. It is all poised on a knife's edge, can't wait to see it unfold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Back