• Isaac Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paul Puopolo

• Other (Not Listed)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going with Brendon Whitecross. Opposition supporters next season will realise just how good a player he will actually become. Watch him play a lot this year & I must say I was suprised as to how good he was actually, didn't think he was in our best 22. But now is! :) Not only that he will finish high up in our B & F. Entering his 5th season & is now due for a big one in our hunt for our 11th flag.

I was very tempted to go with WhiteX also, as I expect him to have a bumper year. However, I think what Max has under his belt now, and with a full preseason, he will be a real bonus in 2012.

We may have a few more next year who will find a new level, I hope Xman is among them. Looking forward to next season.

I've absolutely loved what I've seen of Pup so far, I reckon he gets underestimated due to his size (or lack thereof). He slips way under the radar. But he more than makes up for this with speed and endeavour. He gets my vote.

Is it just me or does Isaac Smith play a similar role to that of Joel Smith of old.

A little, perhaps. Kicks more goals than Joel. Doesn't wear a piece of string around his head either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Franklin. Seriously he will still be an x factor fo you guys and will surprise everyone once again.

Of the listed I'd say Puopolo. Love the way he plays and it was great for you guys to pick him up. Can play either end of the ground to great affect.

Isaac "Sneak" Smith is going to absolutely blow everyones mind next year after another pre season.

Smith, Franklin, Rioli = "XXX" factor:thumbsu:

Of all those on that list WX is the only one with out any 'X' in his game. He's a role player who doesn't do anything flashy thus the reason why he has no X factor

Interesting comment so did you pick Dew as being the X factor for our premiership? Not many if any picked him to do what he did in that grand final. So you never know and its best to keep an open mind. All it takes is 5 or 6 minutes to make the difference

Interesting comment so did you pick Dew as being the X factor for our premiership? Not many if any picked him to do what he did in that grand final. So you never know and its best to keep an open mind. All it takes is 5 or 6 minutes to make the difference

But with Dew he had a strong body and a booming boot and had been known to be able to kick goals in patches during his time at Port. WX doesn't have lightening speed, great skills, no long kick and hasn't kicked big goals in small amounts of time.
But the one thing that stands out for me in his game that stops him from being an X factor is the fact that he doesn't take risks in his game.

Cyril, Buddy and Smith had one or more of the above mention X factor skills which denotes them X factor players.

Now before you reply with your collar popped defending him; not all of the premiership players of 2008 had X factor, but they had a role and stuck to it. As long as WX sticks to his role given to him with in the 1st 22 team, he'll continue to remain in the Hawthorn team.

If you look back on the Michael Jordan era post 1st retirement. He had Luke Longley (sp?) as his starting center. A guy who had a role within the triangle offense that Phil Jackson ran. He was no superstar but did exactly what Jackson wanted of him that allow Jordan to do what made him Michael Jordan and made both Jordan and Longley triple NBA Champions. WX is similar. No star, but a required play.

But with Dew he had a strong body and a booming boot and had been known to be able to kick goals in patches during his time at Port. WX doesn't have lightening speed, great skills, no long kick and hasn't kicked big goals in small amounts of time.
But the one thing that stands out for me in his game that stops him from being an X factor is the fact that he doesn't take risks in his game.

Cyril, Buddy and Smith had one or more of the above mention X factor skills which denotes them X factor players.

Now before you reply with your collar popped defending him; not all of the premiership players of 2008 had X factor, but they had a role and stuck to it. As long as WX sticks to his role given to him with in the 1st 22 team, he'll continue to remain in the Hawthorn team.

If you look back on the Michael Jordan era post 1st retirement. He had Luke Longley (sp?) as his starting center. A guy who had a role within the triangle offense that Phil Jackson ran. He was no superstar but did exactly what Jackson wanted of him that allow Jordan to do what made him Michael Jordan and made both Jordan and Longley triple NBA Champions. WX is similar. No star, but a required play.

hahaha mate its just opinion i would have said the same thing if you had said the same thing about bateman or gilham or murphy because all it takes is 5 minutes. I have said my piece on WX. I don't think i feel the need to say anything more. Carry on.

Whitecross is not in the same X Factor category is Franklin Roughead Rioli Burgoyne Hodge & Co. X Factors are... Players that improve, players that have breakout seasons, not just players who kick goals. for example Suckling came from no where this year. He was easily the last picked player on our list in 2010. Did anyone think he would have been that great this year & walk into our best 22? No! We had possibly Whitecross Shiels Suckling Breust Savage Smith Puopolo & Bailey who all had breakout seasons & forced out some of the older blokes out of the team. While Savage Shiels Suckling & Whitecross might not be flashy players there are good players, lets not forget they almost took us to a GF. So what Whitecross brings to the team week in week out is very important. He is an underated player. Even before this year i thought he was below average. But I have to say he is a much Improved player. He goes out there and does his job. He is not a high posession winner he is a HFF shut down player/Back Pocket shut down player who is given a specific role by the coaching staff & he does it. Were not saying he is going to get 30 Posessions & kick 5 goals. He is a lockdown player. With some stints in the midfield. Whitecross will improve on this years performance I have no doubt about it, he will have an even better year next year this year.

Very interesting reading what Puopolo said about his first season. He highlighted that he found his first pre season very difficult and an eye opener as to how much fitter he needed to get.

This is great news because we all know how good his first year was (won the best first year player). He now has a decent base to significantly improve his fitness during this summer which is a terrific prospect.

Personally, I'd love to see the club develop him as both an inside/outside midfielder by the end of the 2013 pre season. Hopefully he has stints in the guts next year rotating with Cyril.

The club is working hard on having the lads play multiple roles (for many), and I have the suspicion that Pup will, at some stage, add midfield to his back and forward roles - from what I've seen he has good disposal, quick and good decision maker, tackler and pace.

Maybe a pre-reco Joel Smith is a fair comparison- Issac looks like he will get even better though. Pretty decent footballer already.

If this kid continues to improve at this rate, he will be an A Grade footballer very soon! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 2012: Who will be the X Factor?

Back