GDFL Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

kennedy from div 2, just read it on the WRFL thread.

Kennedy a good player good tap ruckman but after that only sits a kick behind the play at centre half back and fills in the hole teams will soon learn to avoid him as he rarely gets beaten in the air also doesn't mind the rough stuff

I heard over the weekend east have picked up the Mawson bros from sth barwon jesse and jake and andrew challis from winch. They havent stopped spending money.
Also closter had a meeting with ballan during the week. Has not made up his mind

Closter and Murphy have both signed at east so the runour mill can stop spinning I guess.
Hey David Bain, who do you follow? Has it occurred to you that good players are happier to play for less at a club that always plays finals as opposed to playing for big money? Yes, these players are getting paid, but it's no more than any of the other successful clubs. And most of them would be getting paid unders. You can't put a price on finals and success.

Closter and Murphy have both signed at east so the runour mill can stop spinning I guess.
Hey David Bain, who do you follow? Has it occurred to you that good players are happier to play for less at a club that always plays finals as opposed to playing for big money? Yes, these players are getting paid, but it's no more than any of the other successful clubs. And most of them would be getting paid unders. You can't put a price on finals and success.

I hope you're joking. Playing for east for the love of the club? Just happens to be the same club that spends double maybe triple what other gdfl clubs spend. The same club who has signed a below average half forward flank from Lara reserves on $200 a game.

Maybe spend 200 grand this year and you can celebrate with back to back reserves cups.

I hope you're joking. Playing for east for the love of the club? Just happens to be the same club that spends double maybe triple what other gdfl clubs spend. The same club who has signed a below average half forward flank from Lara reserves on $200 a game.

Maybe spend 200 grand this year and you can celebrate with back to back reserves cups.

Riddler, please. 200grand? Where in the world would a district club get that sort of money from? That would be an increase of around 120k from last year I'd say. Nobody from Lara has signed up let alone for 200 per game. So check your facts there. By the way, do u think grgic, Moreland, jovanavic etc play for nothing? Your kidding yourself. Don't be upset that successful clubs find it a lot easier to recruit than shit-holes do.

Riddler, please. 200grand? Where in the world would a district club get that sort of money from? That would be an increase of around 120k from last year I'd say. Nobody from Lara has signed up let alone for 200 per game. So check your facts there. By the way, do u think grgic, Moreland, jovanavic etc play for nothing? Your kidding yourself. Don't be upset that successful clubs find it a lot easier to recruit than shit-holes do.

200 grand was clearly an exaggeration. If you haven't signed anyone from Lara then that's good news for East but everybody I've spoken to at Lara has told me the same thing so I am backing them in. Although after watching this guy play a few games in the Lara 2s, I struggle to comprehend how he will play seniors at east, let alone be paid $200 a game.

So its a big competition to see who can recruit who, why chase mercenraries moving from club to club chasing dollars and or premiership glory, clubs that do have no fabric, try building a side through a good junior structure, and then supplement you're side with a few recruits to compliment home grown talent, that way all clubs wont have to pay overs for ordinary players.

200 grand was clearly an exaggeration. If you haven't signed anyone from Lara then that's good news for East but everybody I've spoken to at Lara has told me the same thing so I am backing them in. Although after watching this guy play a few games in the Lara 2s, I struggle to comprehend how he will play seniors at east, let alone be paid $200 a game.
Is 200 grand an exaggeration? East are happy to tell people they had 100 grand in sponsorship for 2011, thats before they sell a pie, beer, raffle ticket and memberships.
We'd all do it if we could so you can't complain about it.
In today's terms $200 isn't much at all I'd say the average payments would be around the $150 mark for your run of the mill players, even at clubs your home grown love the club players chase this because Money has stuffed footy and it has all become expected. Most GFL 2s players would knock on the door one seniors at most GDFL clubs.
There's not too much passion and pride getting about anymore.

half of the werribee team r from hoppers crossing which has made it easy to fit in. Werribee will now be called hoppers centrals

You're rite david bain, the guys that came from hoppers have fitted in well and it seems to have been a pretty easy transition due to fact there are few of them that have come accross.

I am certainly not complaining these guys have come, all seem pretty good blokes and pretty strong players. Very positive move by the club, as we needed to add some new players.

Has been the hardest pre season I can remember, has really stepped up a notch, if clubs stand still the rest will past them by. With all of the rumours going around that Smith, Quarrier, Todarro and the younger guys leaving they have now proven to be false. All have been training and are signed for next year. Also saw Trav Johns at training the other night, looks like he will be returning.

So its a big competition to see who can recruit who, why chase mercenraries moving from club to club chasing dollars and or premiership glory, clubs that do have no fabric, try building a side through a good junior structure, and then supplement you're side with a few recruits to compliment home grown talent, that way all clubs wont have to pay overs for ordinary players.

It's more of a competition to win flags mate. As the werribee bloke said if you sit on your hands you get passed by. And yes downlow, 200 grand is a massive exaggeration. If 22 players get paid 500 a game then there's your 200k. It's impossible. Half of east were on incentives only last year. As u said just cos the club does exceptionally well in sponsorship doesn't mean they spend every cent on players.. Save that behaviour for Belmont who spend money they don't even have. End of the day when teams like the hill, centrals and east put together impressive sides jealousy comes out and huge amounts get thrown around. Deal with the fact most players want finals ahead of coin.

It's more of a competition to win flags mate. As the werribee bloke said if you sit on your hands you get passed by. And yes downlow, 200 grand is a massive exaggeration. If 22 players get paid 500 a game then there's your 200k. It's impossible. Half of east were on incentives only last year. As u said just cos the club does exceptionally well in sponsorship doesn't mean they spend every cent on players.. Save that behaviour for Belmont who spend money they don't even have. End of the day when teams like the hill, centrals and east put together impressive sides jealousy comes out and huge amounts get thrown around. Deal with the fact most players want finals ahead of coin.

Mate do east have any any good juniors like Belmont do? are you still bitter on losing in 2007 get over it.

Mate do east have any any good juniors like Belmont do? are you still bitter on losing in 2007 get over it.

Facts are facts pal. Until haami gets his money then your club will be forever tainted with that brush. I hope for your new coach's sake he got his upfront!

In all honesty though, it is really really poor form. Do you or do you not agree?

Facts are facts pal. Until haami gets his money then your club will be forever tainted with that brush. I hope for your new coach's sake he got his upfront!

In all honesty though, it is really really poor form. Do you or do you not agree?
im pretty sure matt murphy left belmont without some of the money he was owed too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking to somebody high up at Torquay who told me they were very very close to signing Andrew Challis but couldn't afford him after he informed them East offered $500 a game.

10 grand on one player. Pretty good gig for Challis as a player only contract. When you add in other recruits and coaches, captains, a couple of league medal winners, leading goalkicker there must be some serious cash coming out of those bottomless pockets at Richmond Crescent.

Speaking to somebody high up at Torquay who told me they were very very close to signing Andrew Challis but couldn't afford him after he informed them East offered $500 a game.

10 grand on one player. Pretty good gig for Challis as a player only contract. When you add in other recruits and coaches, captains, a couple of league medal winners, leading goalkicker there must be some serious cash coming out of those bottomless pockets at Richmond Crescent.

Challis not on $500 a game, less than that however he was offered a job by someone up there at the club, thats why he is going out there.

Challis not on $500 a game, less than that however he was offered a job by someone up there at the club, thats why he is going out there.

You may well be right. It's definitely not unheard of for a player to exaggerate what they are offered to see what they can get out of another club.

Was at the local the other night, tipping a few in with some of Werribee's finest and happened to get into a ripping discussion about some of the Centurions big recruits from Hoppers Crossing. As a huge yellow shorts supporter I managed to sus out some interesting information on a few blokes....

CHRIS BRIERTY (aka. Alby, Shoosha, the Albatross)
-At age 24, quite possibly the marquee signing, the Gary Ablett or Tom Scully if you will. Was very underated in the WRFL and was forced by his former club to play out of position on bigger bodies down back. Apparently been recruited as another forward option, with the marking reach comparable to Nick Riewoldt! Is known as a very quiet individual (unless on the beers), so will need to improve the talk on the field.

STEPHEN MORGAN (aka. Fat Chick Thriller, Morgs)
- A giant unit. Has great experience from his long list of previous clubs. Will be the number one ruck at the club and has the ability to drop back and take important match saving marks. Wasn't given a fair crack towards the end of his Hoppers run after been dropped to the magoos and dominating with BOG's galore!

LEIGH MCINTOSH (aka. Terry Clarke, Leroy, Straughnie, Gary Snr)
- Not a guranteed signing yet but the tug of war with Hoppers is on for this X Factor of a man! Although believed to be in his late 30's, he still has the ability to rip apart a game with a bag of goals. Almost won a flag off his own boot! He is sometimes found unaccountable for his man, but would still be a huge get for the Centurions. Most likely will stay with his mate Domereki at the Warriors.

BRAD MCNICOL (aka. Macsta, the King)
- Once stated by Alan Ezard that this goal sneak come midfielder could rip any competition apart! Was very stiff to be shot down to the magoo's last season after a breakout 2010, getting pushed out by some Hoppers recruits who probably didnt deliever what the Macsta did a year earlier. Only negative about his game is probably his laconic attitude sometimes.

Thats all the info I could get down at the watering hole but no doubt Ill be down there again for a brew and I'll try to gather some more information...

Thanks for the run down yellow shorts.
So Morgan will play 1st ruck in front of jones?
And mcintosh wouldn't play seniors down at werribee.
From what my mate has told me they are going to be very strong and with alot of new faces, players from last year are really going to be fighting for spots.

Grgic plays for nothing. FACT.

BPH spent less than $60k on the football dept. this season, inc coaches and trainers. FACT.

Thanks for the run down yellow shorts.
So Morgan will play 1st ruck in front of jones?
And mcintosh wouldn't play seniors down at werribee.
From what my mate has told me they are going to be very strong and with alot of new faces, players from last year are really going to be fighting for spots.

Mcintosh would not get a 1's game and Morgan will play in the ruck, from what I was told at training Jones wont be playing in the ruck.

Don't forget Lovell in the ruck also, you would think he will be starting ruck.

Was at the local the other night, tipping a few in with some of Werribee's finest and happened to get into a ripping discussion about some of the Centurions big recruits from Hoppers Crossing. As a huge yellow shorts supporter I managed to sus out some interesting information on a few blokes....

CHRIS BRIERTY (aka. Alby, Shoosha, the Albatross)
-At age 24, quite possibly the marquee signing, the Gary Ablett or Tom Scully if you will. Was very underated in the WRFL and was forced by his former club to play out of position on bigger bodies down back. Apparently been recruited as another forward option, with the marking reach comparable to Nick Riewoldt! Is known as a very quiet individual (unless on the beers), so will need to improve the talk on the field.

STEPHEN MORGAN (aka. Fat Chick Thriller, Morgs)
- A giant unit. Has great experience from his long list of previous clubs. Will be the number one ruck at the club and has the ability to drop back and take important match saving marks. Wasn't given a fair crack towards the end of his Hoppers run after been dropped to the magoos and dominating with BOG's galore!

LEIGH MCINTOSH (aka. Terry Clarke, Leroy, Straughnie, Gary Snr)
- Not a guranteed signing yet but the tug of war with Hoppers is on for this X Factor of a man! Although believed to be in his late 30's, he still has the ability to rip apart a game with a bag of goals. Almost won a flag off his own boot! He is sometimes found unaccountable for his man, but would still be a huge get for the Centurions. Most likely will stay with his mate Domereki at the Warriors.

BRAD MCNICOL (aka. Macsta, the King)
- Once stated by Alan Ezard that this goal sneak come midfielder could rip any competition apart! Was very stiff to be shot down to the magoo's last season after a breakout 2010, getting pushed out by some Hoppers recruits who probably didnt deliever what the Macsta did a year earlier. Only negative about his game is probably his laconic attitude sometimes.

Thats all the info I could get down at the watering hole but no doubt Ill be down there again for a brew and I'll try to gather some more information...

So most of these players floundered in the 2's even though their club never got near a senior final? Jury is out till r18!

So most of these players floundered in the 2's even though their club never got near a senior final? Jury is out till r18!

phipps clonan briety T Montebruno and morgan all in the best 18 for HCFC, and mcnicol would be in the top 25. the fact they didnt play finals for two years doesnt reflect the quality of the cattle. pushed Spotswood (best team this side of the west gate bar Bell park and Sth Barwon and Joeys) and the other finalist during the year, just dropped games they shouldnt have.

jones brothers would play in any wrfl team, dont discredit them due to where they played.

your right about one thing though, rd 18 is where proper critique's's should be done.

Mcintosh would not get a 1's game and Morgan will play in the ruck, from what I was told at training Jones wont be playing in the ruck.

Don't forget Lovell in the ruck also, you would think he will be starting ruck.

Dickens Cider said:

Went down to the bar this morning for breakfast and a few pots with some of the wildlife in Werribee and asked about a few of the boys.

Apparently McNicol and Morgan would have been easily best 22 in most WRFL finals sides but suffered a bit by not been 'pets'. Morgan played most of the season in the firsts as the number 1 ruck, only played 3 reserves games, all of which comprehensive BOG's. Will be number 1 ruck at Galvin Park. McNicol was pushed out by some new recruits and returning players but was very hard done by. Has Phipps's faith though, it is believed.

As for McIntosh, if fit, would be a walk up at Werribee's 1's. Unfortunatly added a few kegs over the last few years but rumour has it he is in the gym, hulked up and looking an absolute treat! Ripped apart a Div 1 senior Prelim a few years back so certainly has the ability. Should get a few more years out of him before retirement according to the lads at the bar.

phipps clonan briety T Montebruno and morgan all in the best 18 for HCFC, and mcnicol would be in the top 25. the fact they didnt play finals for two years doesnt reflect the quality of the cattle. pushed Spotswood (best team this side of the west gate bar Bell park and Sth Barwon and Joeys) and the other finalist during the year, just dropped games they shouldnt have.

jones brothers would play in any wrfl team, dont discredit them due to where they played.

your right about one thing though, rd 18 is where proper critique's's should be done.

bizza, Was told last night that a number of your better players were going to GFL clubs, any truth? Moreland was one of the names mentioned.

Also regarding comment above, spot on it really doeasn't matter what is said in December it all comes down to R18. Though we still like to talk some crap on here, keeps us entertained for a few minutes a day.

Remove this Banner Ad

GDFL Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back