GDFL Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Although as I said I have no idea, do you think I'd be in the ball park if I said so called poor clubs has an annual player budget of 50K and rich clubs 150K?

I Still can't see how people think 150k is a realistic figure! It's not. If any team spent that they'd be unbeatable. I know that east spent 79k last year, it was at the AGM. It will be less than that this year. A bph committee member has stated between 60-65k was their figure. East, werribee an bph would have probably spent the most.

If Thomson don't break that 12 year record and spend less than 50k then I'd be very surprised. Some of their recruits wouldn't have been cheap. As the Thomson bloke stated it's about not paying a bloke overs and getting them to the club by selling the success, not the money.

As I said I'm not in a position to argue but I find that incredibly hard to believe. Your saying that 22 senior footballers 10 senior neballers and coaches combined don't earn much over $2000 a week? If that's correct every club in Australia wants their business plan!
You're missing the point Brods... Thomson recruited players that wanted success, not money! You will find that this seasons recruits are in the same boat... Come to the AGM in November and see for yourself what was spent.

Although as I said I have no idea, do you think I'd be in the ball park if I said so called poor clubs has an annual player budget of 50K and rich clubs 150K?

Exactly Brods, you have no idea. You refered to your own club as "cheater", and not 3 pages previous did a couple of blokes get on here and say that East spent less than $80k, and BPH less than $60k.

Now, if Blue West are spending $50k (poor clubs), then the gulf is not as big as you think, just they use it better?

You're missing the point Brods... Thomson recruited players that wanted success, not money! You will find that this seasons recruits are in the same boat... Come to the AGM in November and see for yourself what was spent.

Going to the AGM of any club still does not show extra money tipped in by long serving members/sponsors or suporters that is used to pay extra to players.

Like it or not it DOES happen.

I'd like to think Brods wasn't suggesting West are spending 50k a year on players. If they are that is a significant waste of money. It's also pretty naive to think that money allocated in things like AGMs is an accurate indication of the actual figure. Hopefully teams like west, Belmont and winch can start to bridge the gap that exsists in the league.

How do you all think Banno and Thomson will go this year? I imagine Thomson would of been pretty embarrassed by the way the year ended (beating west on a technicality) and Banno set a pretty high standard for themselves, can they compete against East and Bell Post Hill?

Sorry if my spelling isn't up to scratch either :)

I'd like to think Brods wasn't suggesting West are spending 50k a year on players. If they are that is a significant waste of money. It's also pretty naive to think that money allocated in things like AGMs is an accurate indication of the actual figure. Hopefully teams like west, Belmont and winch can start to bridge the gap that exsists in the league.

How do you all think Banno and Thomson will go this year? I imagine Thomson would of been pretty embarrassed by the way the year ended (beating west on a technicality) and Banno set a pretty high standard for themselves, can they compete against East and Bell Post Hill?

Sorry if my spelling isn't up to scratch either :)

No idea what we are spending at Centrals, though was told we spent under $50k last year, i know what a couple of players get paid and it isnt anything over $150 per game.

i think a few teams will bridge the gap this year.

Anyone got any praccy's lined up Centrals are playing North Shore and Stalbans from the wrfl, should be a couple of solid hit outs.

All this talk about money makes me sick. People from thompson and W/C saying they spent under 50k come on open your eyes. Lets just move on.
All clubs spend money if the committees work hard to make money good on them, they can do as they like with it. end of story.
Money dosent buy success hard work gets success

We are in the gdfl not the gfl clubs spending under 50k is a realistic possibility, and i dont know why people are whinging and whining!! If your glub has the money and can use it to there success good on you!!

We are in the gdfl not the gfl clubs spending under 50k is a realistic possibility, and i dont know why people are whinging and whining!! If your glub has the money and can use it to there success good on you!!

Not real sure who's whining mate?

Clubs can spend what they like and if they can be successful on next to nothing good on them. All I said was I think it's naive to think that just because a figure is on a piece of paper and handed out at an AGM that that relates to what is actaully being spent on players, coaches etc but I freely admit I wouldn't have any idea what's being spent and that's why I asked.

Probably a stupid topic anyway let's move on.

Going to the AGM of any club still does not show extra money tipped in by long serving members/sponsors or suporters that is used to pay extra to players.

Like it or not it DOES happen.

can you let us at BPH know where these guys are? we cant get people to our games let alone do a "Dick Pratt" in the changerooms after every game.

the Club AGM's arent just a show - every dollar is accounted for, and every payment recordeed, even the cash in hand ones. BPH was under $60k last year, and we have budgeted the same amount this year. depending on contracted players being rested or injured, i would say we would probably sneak over it, but we wont know til the next AGM.

success isnt bought. anyone who thinks that it is, is delusional.

can you let us at BPH know where these guys are? we cant get people to our games let alone do a "Dick Pratt" in the changerooms after every game.

the Club AGM's arent just a show - every dollar is accounted for, and every payment recordeed, even the cash in hand ones. BPH was under $60k last year, and we have budgeted the same amount this year. depending on contracted players being rested or injured, i would say we would probably sneak over it, but we wont know til the next AGM.

bizza, who u guys got in praccy match's?

who are other teams playing??

Lets talk footy and not worry about speculating on $$$

Just stating a fact bizza.

Again, it Does happen, i know of at least 2 clubs in that position, and good on them if they can get it. But i think we would be naive 2 think otherwise.

Correct me if im wrong but isnt that part of the reason why the league wouldn't introduce a salary cap, because they couln't police or control payments?

I think your right in saying that success isn't bought, instead acheived through hard work but you need to get the blinkers off and see what goes on.

Anyway, 2012 isn't far away can bph salute again?:)

last year we didnt play practice matches, got pasted for it but ended up winning a flag (coming from behind too.) the year before we played one from memory against Hoppers Crossing and got belted with only half our seniors anyway.

Grgs plans on doing the same this year, although our first 5 games are against much tougher opponents than last years first 5 rounds.

I dont know enough about football to say if its a good thing or bad thing, but i trust Grg along with all the other players, and he trusts us to be doing the hard work up to round one. have some camp type stuff going on closer to the season, and 18 rounds is a long time so as long as we are there come finals i dont see the issue with no praccies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just stating a fact bizza.

Again, it Does happen, i know of at least 2 clubs in that position, and good on them if they can get it. But i think we would be naive 2 think otherwise.

Correct me if im wrong but isnt that part of the reason why the league wouldn't introduce a salary cap, because they couln't police or control payments?

I think your right in saying that success isn't bought, instead acheived through hard work but you need to get the blinkers off and see what goes on.

Anyway, 2012 isn't far away can bph salute again?:)

i was just clarifying our position mate, not commenting on other clubs. the simple fact is BPH doesnt have the cash to splurge. players paid for the jumpers last year, and paid some of the fitness coaches during pre season.

Salary cap wont work because it is like the carbon tax on ozzie imports - in that it will just benefit those leagues without a salary cap, especially when we have other leagues on our doorstep. the reason it has worked up the bush is due to the distance between leagues. the metro leagues are talking about points systems for the same reason, in that caps just hinder leagues against those that dont employ caps.

i think the competition this year will be the most even for a long while, with a blanket over the top 5 BPH, East, Inver , WC and a Thomson resurgence.

WC the Dark Horse for me.

go Panthers.... :)

All this talk about money is just ridiculous. Every club pays money to players, some more than other. Some players deserve it some dont but itthe reality of country football. Get over it who cares who pays what they all do it.

i was just clarifying our position mate, not commenting on other clubs. the simple fact is BPH doesnt have the cash to splurge. players paid for the jumpers last year, and paid some of the fitness coaches during pre season.

Salary cap wont work because it is like the carbon tax on ozzie imports - in that it will just benefit those leagues without a salary cap, especially when we have other leagues on our doorstep. the reason it has worked up the bush is due to the distance between leagues. the metro leagues are talking about points systems for the same reason, in that caps just hinder leagues against those that dont employ caps.

i think the competition this year will be the most even for a long while, with a blanket over the top 5 BPH, East, Inver , WC and a Thomson resurgence.

WC the Dark Horse for me.

go Panthers.... :)

Would have to agree with that top 5 but will through banno in the mix also.

Hopefully west do ok this year with all the problems they have had there over the off season.

last year we didnt play practice matches, got pasted for it but ended up winning a flag (coming from behind too.) the year before we played one from memory against Hoppers Crossing and got belted with only half our seniors anyway.

Grgs plans on doing the same this year, although our first 5 games are against much tougher opponents than last years first 5 rounds.

I dont know enough about football to say if its a good thing or bad thing, but i trust Grg along with all the other players, and he trusts us to be doing the hard work up to round one. have some camp type stuff going on closer to the season, and 18 rounds is a long time so as long as we are there come finals i dont see the issue with no praccies.

Bizza how is the ground redevelopment going? Has it had much of an effect on pre-season training and numbers?

Would have to agree with that top 5 but will through banno in the mix also.

Hopefully west do ok this year with all the problems they have had there over the off season.
agree with west, the results def dont reflect the heart they show on field. last season they had us done at halftime at there ground, it took the biggest Grgic spray of all time to spark a fightback and eventual win.

a lot of whiteboards and magnets died that day.

I have no idea what any club is spending mate so not suggesting anything.

I just know that some clubs are spending a lot more than your all suggesting. As someone said earlier just because they say they spend 70 at an AGM doesn't mean anything. Don't get me wrong if you have the money and can consistanty get it, good on you, It's great that clubs have the ability to do this, it builds professionalism. It's just hard in local footy when there is a gulf as wide as there is in this region.

So in regards to the footy, who's going to be the biggest improvers and who's going to fall back into the pack this season? or are we all expecting a similar result to the last year or two?

So in regards to the footy, who's going to be the biggest improvers and who's going to fall back into the pack this season? or are we all expecting a similar result to the last year or two?

I dont think the top 5 teams from last year will change sounds like thompson may push for the top 3. I think the biggest improves will be banno and maybe nth geelong both teams played finals in 2010 and both had years to forget. Nths improvement must come from the young blokes.

Bizza how is the ground redevelopment going? Has it had much of an effect on pre-season training and numbers?

Are bph able to train on the ground yet? Rode past a couple of weeks ago and it looked like it growing well and looking green.

As for the money talk if the club has the money continuesly then spend it, I think the way others see is when a club splurges alot of money included in agm meetings and on the side and still don't get the chocolates it leaves egg on the face. And if they do spend and get the choccys the "if we spent that much we'd wanna win to" comes out. Success will always be built through a club mateship structure

well said gdfl follower. you will find the stongest clubs around geelong like bell park, sth barwone ammos, drysdale, bell post hill and banno dont really need to chase players and pay big $$$ because players want to play for them because there succesfull and good social clubs which is what you want to be apart of

I cant give you the club that will be premeirs brods but i can garantee you one thing mate. west will be dead last again on 0 wins and a percentage of about %3

I cant give you the club that will be premeirs brods but i can garantee you one thing mate. west will be dead last again on 0 wins and a percentage of about %3

You sound like you've got the cheetahs all figured out mate, good on you for having such a postive outlook on things.

I for one hope that West have a much better year and can get a few wins on the board, good luck to them. As Bizza stated earlier they show plenty of heart and the results that end up in the Addy don't reflect much.

Remove this Banner Ad

GDFL Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back